A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Personalized medicine

Personalized medicine

I'm wondering if someone here has tried one of these NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers which run genetic tests and use early-phases trial drugs.

They use very promising procedures to understand and treat every patient in a personalized way. So if someone here used one of these services, it would be very interesting to know about the experience.

According with them, in some decades we will be able to produce drugs specific for each individual with almost none side effects.

Gustavo,

This site is for cancer patients, their loved ones, and their caregivers to share information.

What is your relationship with cancer?

Please read the site rules.

Bob
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.

Hey Bob,
    My mother in law has been fighting ovarian cancer for five years.

We are looking for clinical trials in US and admission in one of these comprehensive Cancer centers across the country.

So I would like to know about the experience of people who have used one of these facilities.

I'm sorry if it is not the right place to ask.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello gustavotonini and thank you for clarifying reason for being here. It is always useful to know some details so that the members here can offer their support in the best way possible.

In answer to your question, yes, many members have been or still being treated at an NCI. That is where you will find cutting edge technology and the most recent and available trials and newly released treatment options.

I can go ahead and move your thread to the Ovarian Forum if you would like. Others will chime in there with further details. It is not a very active forum but there are members who do check it regularly so just check back often.

I will gladly move your thread upon your response.

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa.
    Please move it to the ovarian cancer forum, then.