A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: OCCC and platinum base chemo resistance

Newbie New User

OCCC and platinum base chemo resistance

Hello,
    I have been diagnosed with Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma. I had surgery to remove a very large cyst and just about all my other lady parts 😳
    They also removed several lymph nodes because they were swollen. The only cancer found was in the cyst itself. However, I am staged 1c because there were cancer cells on the outside of the cyst. Because of this I will be going thru chemo. I have read that this particular cancer is platinum based chemo resistant. So, my question is, what other kinds of chemo are there? And has anyone here had this sort of ovarian cancer? And, if so, what sort of chemo did you have and how well did it work. I talk with my doctor about my treatment on Tuesday and I just want to know all the alternatives. I am slow in doing the research as I have been quite tired from the surgery and a bit emotional at times. Thanks for any advice.

Hell Artemis,

Sorry you are having to having to find us and start your new year with all of this. While my hysterectomy was not cancer related I can help a bit with that. So ask away. I just had my surgery at the end of Oct 2016. Did you keep your other ovary? Make sure you follow your restrictions ok? NO lifting! And take your stool softeners! Such fun things we get to talk about huh?

There are others on here that may be able to help with your other questions and I am sure they will chime in soon.

This is a very supportive place so you are in good hands. Ask questions or if you need to vent - hey we are good listeners!

Make sure you rest when you can. You have had MAJOR surgery and you need it!

Healing vibes sent your way,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    I was diagnosed with OCCC 17 Jan 2017 (right ovary and falopian were taken) 2 Feb had hysterectomy and staging confirming Stage 1C (tumor sac burst during removal in 1st surgery). Began dose dense Carbo/taxol on 21 Feb 2017 - completed 2 rounds so far, starting 3rd round in 3 days. Gyn/oncologist said chemo was option or I could wait to see...I figured I would not regret chemo now, but it's not been easy. I am very concerned at the literature saying there is a high reoccurrence rate with OCCC even at Stage 1.

Hi MaryVigil,

Welcome to the group no one wants to join. Sorry for the reasons you had to find us but glad you did.

Here's to your treatment being nearly done. Sadly sometimes treatment can be quite hard on some. Hoping that the next round is not as hard on you.

As for the recurrence,I strongly recommend you speak with your dr's about this. Some of the literature out there can be based on some statics that are old. With newer treatments comes improved stats.

So you have good supports around you? We are here too to support you by listening, sharing experiences and answering questions the best we can.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing. I encourage you to start your own thread even.

All the best,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto