A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Breast Cancer , High ALP / GGT

Newbie New User

Breast Cancer , High ALP / GGT

Hello I'm new to this forum. My name is Thanash. About 2 months ago my mother was diagnosed with cancer which according to the docs turned out to be stage 2B. She had surgery and it was succesful , she did not have masectomy as the area was not really infected. She had the lump removed ( a 3cm one )
    and 6 lymphnodes which where slightly infected. The biopsy was good news and the doctor reassured us that everything will turn out fine. He said the cancer is not metastatic nor aggresive ( HER2 was negative ) She had first round of chemo which went really well. We are 15 days after chemo and the WBCs are back to normal. The oncologist asked for some blood tests before we move on to the second one and here is my issue. The exams are good according to the microbiologist but I noticed that the GGT and the ALP were increased. ALP is 141 IU/L when normal is between 30-125 and GGT is 40 U/I when normal is between 7-30. After some reasearch I did I saw that both of these are used in metastastic cancer. When both are increased bone cancer is out of the question and a metastasis to the liver is more likely. I've also read that medication can be a factor in the increase of ALP and GGT and also smoking ( my mother was a heavy smoker but has now quit). She had MRI done and the liver was clean. So my question is if anyone else has experienced this and if it's normal considering she finished the medication like 2 days ago. I'm really worried and we are seeing the doctor on Friday so anything would gladly help.

Thanash,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis.

I wish that I could help with the laboratory results you gave, but we are not Drs, just other patients and their caregivers who share our experiences. Unless there is someone who has experienced this particular problem, you will probably do better talking to her Dr on Friday about your concerns.

One experience I can share, and that is very common, is that if you Google your mothers symptoms or results things will almost always look much worse than they really are. We jokingly say that Google is not a Dr, but a mortician.

Best wishes to your mother as she continues chemo.

Bob
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph

Still open to immuno-oncology trials (vaccines or checkpoint inhibitors) if I find one I'm eligible for.

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.