A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 24 with 3 adonemas

Newbie New User

24 with 3 adonemas

Hello everyone I'm a 24 year old male who went in for change in bowel habits had a colonoscopy scheduled the 19th of decemember they removed 3 adenomas no bigger then 1cm biopsy should no cancer cells in them but I can't shake this intense fear/uneasiness I have another colonoscopy in 2 years I'm not sure what to think or the chances of adonema recurrence I also want to note that I went through an extreme lifestyle chance from one day to the next for about 5 years I was extremely active I was really into body building at one point I was at 240 pounds at 5"10 of muscle one day I just stopped everything isn't wether it was because I grew exhausted of it or not but with in a 2 year period I went completely sedentary and I'm at 335 pounds. Can this have caused my polyps because problems only started after any advice is deeply appreciated I'm afraid I'm some sort of freak of nature which I will inevitably lead to cancer

Guillen,

I hope you aren't googling! Stay away from that source. It leads always to the worst possible outcomes. I would listen to my Docs. But most of all start small and get moving. I think your weight just cannot be a good thing. Eat well, and exercise, those are two very good suggestions that can help here. If you were in good shape, you can get back to a healthy weight and shape. I don't think there is anything for you to worry about, but again, we're not Docs, so listen to your doctors...

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    August 23, 2013 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    August-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    Jan.6, 2014 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2.
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    Sept. 4, 2014 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec. 2014 Follow up BlWk good,CEA .9
    Mar.2015Follow up BlWk continues good, CEA .6
    June 2015 Follow up BlWk good, CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWkgood CEA .7 CT ScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair surgery, recovering.
    Sept2016Followup BlWkGood CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly.

Newbie New User
    @Doug K Thank you for your response. I'm also aware that i need to get back to being healthy i have already started the process i'm just uneasy google both kills my uneasiness and makes it worse i read that only about 10% of adenoma become cancerous and that has helped me alot but hate the fact that i still had 3 about 1 cm

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    1. You do not have cancer. Adenomas are benign tumors, i.e. non-cancerous.
    2. It took you 24 years to develop them.
    3. They are gone. President Reagan famously said ("I did not have cancer. Something in me had cancer and the doctors removed it").
    4. Your colon is being actively watched, which is the greatest preventative medicine.
    5. Anxiety over this seems to be problem. Never mind the adenomas - I would worry about your heart due to the intense stress you have. Talk to doctor about it.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    @po18guy thanks for you response I'm also aware that they are not cancerous and my biopsy showed they had dead cells no cancer cells just stressing out that next colonoscopy I might have even more

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    1. You do not have cancer. Adenomas are benign tumors, i.e. non-cancerous.
    2. It took you 24 years to develop them.
    3. They are gone. President Reagan famously said ("I did not have cancer. Something in me had cancer and the doctors removed it").
    4. Your colon is being actively watched, which is the greatest preventative medicine.
    5. Anxiety over this seems to be problem. Never mind the adenomas - I would worry about your heart due to the intense stress you have. Talk to doctor about it.
    Thanks for your reply it has calmed me quite a bit I know if I keep having colonoscopy the chances of me getting cancer are close to nil just afraid I'm things are going to keep popping up

Newbie New User
    Even after the polyps were removed I still have frequent defamation only after eating and it's not diarrhea but it is on the loose side the doc said that the colonoscopy no signs of ibs diverticulitis or any inflammation so I'm at a loss to what it can be the only other thing I have is gallastones

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillen8488 View Post
    Even after the polyps were removed I still have frequent defamation only after eating and it's not diarrhea but it is on the loose side the doc said that the colonoscopy no signs of ibs diverticulitis or any inflammation so I'm at a loss to what it can be the only other thing I have is gallastones
    If there is nothing physical seen, then go with what you know: Anxiety can produce these symptoms and many more.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillen8488 View Post
    You have had a colonoscopy and been told by your doctor that you have nothing wrong with your colon. So, look to other reasons. Look to lifestyle, weight, exercise, diet, anxiety. Your doctor has probably already discussed your gallstones and what you can do to minimise the risk of them. That may well overlap with my list.

We wish you well but now that you have conclusively found out that you do not have cancer I suspect that we have probably reached the limit of how we can help.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping after 8 weeks and first competition 10 weeks after operation. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.