A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Wait Time

Newbie New User

Wait Time to See Gynecological Oncologist

I had a CT scan on Friday and saw a gynecologist this afternoon for an exam and to go over results. I also had blood work done this afternoon. I was given the OC diagnosis. The gynecologist set me up with a very good oncologist in Boston at Brigham and Women's. My appointment with him is a week from tomorrow. I know time is of the essence with this. Is this too long to wait? I have heard of another person receiving diagnosis on Monday and operated on that Friday. It is in the ovary and something at top of stomach and maybe peritoneum?

This is hard to answer Serenity. Each case is judge on its own merits too. I am also a poor person to comment as I am in Canada. I am sure others from the US will comment on this for you. Personally I am still impressed.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same

My dx has now been going on 7 months, initially we thought it was neurological due to the symptoms present, then was told a bio marker was present for gynecological, and during surgery 3 months later adenocarcinoma cells were located in the peritoneal washings. A month later repeat washings showed NED & 2 weeks after that my CA125 levels had risen.

I have to wait another few weeks to see my surgeons again due to their xmas breaks.... Hope this helps.

May I ask if you had CA125 bloods done & what level they were?
    2016 - Dx - Unknown Location & Type.

Further investigation to come.

Newbie New User
    Chaase, thank you for your reply. I just checked my online records this morning. The CA 125 was about 300.

Newbie New User

Wait Time

I posted above thinking 8 days was too long a wait. I am waiting for my insurance to approve an out of network doctor at full coverage. If I don't get a "yes" by Monday, I lose my Tuesday appointment. It is all in God's hands, but the waiting is so hard. It could then be another week or two.

Meanwhile, I am fighting bronchitis.i don't feel like eating much and I do have minor pain since Christmas.i am doing my best to stay hydrated and positive.

I finally got the copy of my CT scan which shows the left ovary enlarged, the omentum with extra tissue, the peritoneum not right, a cyst on kidney, and a mild to moderate amount of ascites. The latter I was told not to worry about when they showed up late November in an ultrasound and left ovary was fine. This has all happened so fast!

How long did you wait for your first oncologist appointment?

Senior User
    For what it's worth -

I waited a month for my oncologist first appointment. My CA 125 was actually a 5 so no one was too concerned. My OBGYN left it up to me about what kind of surgeon I wanted to go with -
    a general or cancer one. I chose a cancer one for the just in case scenario. When I saw the oncologist surgeon for the first appointment, she was very thorough with the exam and it was
    agreed that surgery was needed. She did not think it was cancer from the scans but no one says never until removal and biospy.

My turned out to be a big surprise and it was cancer. Not to scare you but you are on the right track for your appointment and ultimate removal. Is the waiting hard? Sure, absolutely.
    Take this time to get yourself better and mentally ready. Clean your house and take care of bills before you go into surgery. You'll be glad that you can sleep soundly knowing some
    trivial things in life are taken care while you recuperate.

My surgery date was 50 days after that OBGYN appointment that set everything in motion. It turned out to be because - I was NOT hemoraging to death and the doctor's schedule is truly that full. They didn't seem to rush me like they would have another patient.

Keep us posted on how you do. UPDATE: I did a small edit here.
    Last edited by DixieDoodle78; 03-02-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Newbie New User
    Hi Serenity I hope this finds you well. I hope you don't mind jumping on your thread but I too am playing the waiting game. Luckily for me I was referred to an oncologist right away as their was a slight concern about the way my ovarian cyst was behaving. It was during my surgery to remove my cyst that they found cancer in my right ovary. Where I had signed a waiver for a full hysterectomy, they only removed my cyst, right ovary and omentum. We have since decided to go in and take the rest out including my appendix. I won'the know my true circumstances now until Sept as my second surgery is scheduled for Aug 26th. Where this group has been very supportive of its members, it still is a bit unnerving playing this waiting game.

My thoughts are with everyone on the forum as each and every one of us has our own stories and challenges. Unfortunately for some it is more challenging. Please let us know how you are holding up.

All the best Ingrid

Ingrid,
    I am sorry you have your own waiting game happening. Unfortunately Serenity4549 has not been on the forum since Jan 17, 2017 so I will be closing this thread. I do very much invite to start your own thread however.
    All the best.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same