A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Mom with T-LGL and strange rise in platelets... Any ideas why? Worried....

Newbie New User

Mom with T-LGL and strange rise in platelets... Any ideas why? Worried....

Hello everyone,

I am new in this forum community, and I have a question on a very rare occasion concerning T-LGL leukemia. My mom was diagnosed with chronic T-LGL some years ago (thank God still in non-critical levels, even though barely), and her spleen is slightly enlarged but not removed. However, even though I heard T-LGL L. makes platelets (thrombocytes) to drop in numbers, my mother's final results showed an immense-abnormal increase! Even when she retook the blood tests after some time, still they were extremely elevated (now constantly under aspirin prescription).

Her doctors are all very puzzled and say it is a first. Anyone knows maybe what may cause that? She checked all organs (except head) and all checked ok... Could this be related to some autoimmune disease caused by LGL? Anyone with a similar situation??

Any possible ideas and answers will be very appreciated! Thank you and I wish you all health and happiness!

worried_daughter

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of this. Have they described it as thrombocytosis? From the Wiki:
    "Elevated platelet concentration is thrombocytosis and is either congenital, reactive (to cytokines), or due to unregulated production: one of the myeloproliferative neoplasms or certain other myeloid neoplasms."
    Has she received treatment for the T-LGL? Since a congenital source can be ruled out, it appears that this may be a result of one or more of the following causes:
    Thrombocytosis and thrombocythemia

All cells release cytokines (proteins), which signal other cells - activating or communicating with them for a specific purpose. Normally, this allows the body to function as it should. However, some cancer cells (including T-LGL and AITL) release certain cytokines that can cause any number of immune malfunctions, even arthritis. T-LGL is noted for associated autoimmune conditions, and these seem to be caused by cytokine release on the part of the cancer cells. Increased platelet production seems likely to be caused by cytokine release.

This is very complicated, but it could be a sign that her T-LGL is progressing, mutating, or that she has possibly developed a bone marrow disorder or potentially even a secondary cancer. If she is not being seen by a major cancer research center or university hospital, she should consider consulting with one. It is not a good sign when doctors are perplexed.
    Last edited by po18guy; 02-10-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy reveals 2% cells with 20q Deletion, a form of Myelodysplastic Syndrome, yet a different form than in 2015. Active surveillance is the course of choice. Two sub-types of lymphoid malignancies and two of myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    po18guy thank you so much for your quick response! From your history under your message, I understand that you have gone through a lot! I wish for you the best, and I send my prayer!

As for my mom, she has not been treated yet for her diagnosis... Her doctors say we should not aggregate anything as long as her neutrophils are (even a little) above 500; but we are considering of taking it to a major cancer research center or university hospital as you suggested! From some research I made, I am considering the UVA Cancer Center, but we are from abroad, so we currently translate her history-results.

The platelets, were described to us as abnormally elevated, and no pathological cause could be found yet to relate it to this phenomenon... :/ So I am not sure whether I can put it into further terms: essential or other specific type. "Elevated platelet concentration" though fits the picture for sure! Maybe as you suggest this could be a bone marrow disorder. It might be the only one making more sense... I just hope it is something manageable and a bigger center may help us confront with it and tackle it!

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Since her T-Cell levels are just within the acceptable limit (that limit may fit other people, buy may be too high for your mom), it may be that there are so many leukemic cells that their cytokines are triggering excess platelet production. All of this might be a sign that it is time for her to enter into treatment. I am guessing that treatments are relatively mild, as it is a slow-growing cancer.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy reveals 2% cells with 20q Deletion, a form of Myelodysplastic Syndrome, yet a different form than in 2015. Active surveillance is the course of choice. Two sub-types of lymphoid malignancies and two of myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.