A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Canver vs Marijuana

Canver vs Marijuana

Anyone here that has used Marijuana to treat Cancer Pain? Also to give you back your appetite. I was given this option and applied. My Card came yesterday. I have heard that the Oil in Cannabis kills Cancer.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    For a few days after transplant, I used Marinol (synthetic THC) to stimulate my appetite. That, perhaps controlling nausea, and getting stoned, are the known and observable effects of all forms of marijuana. All the rest is rumor, hype, wishful thinking or sales pitch. What remains clear is that smoking it carries the potential for lung cancer. The American lung association cautions specifically against smoking it, as some of the same carcinogens are released as with tobacco use. [url]http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html[/url].

If it was truly a curative or preventative drug, the baby boomer generation and onward would be essentially free of cancer. Not so.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial of drug KD025, a ROCK2 inhibitor that is believed to help with chronic GvHD.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Squamos Steve,

Marinol (dronabinol), a synthetic form of THC, has been approved for chemo induced nausea and also for appetite stimulation.

The National Cancer Institute has monographs on many "alternative" treatments, including marijuana. Here is a link to their site:
    [URL="https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/cannabis-pdq#section/_1"]NCI - Marijuana (professional version)[/URL]

There is quite a bit of preclinical work that has been done, but research in humans has been limited by regulations. There is ongoing research in several countries on pain control

As far as risk is concerned, page 9 delves into the cancer risk of chronic use.

I read your history in another post. Since you live in a state where it is legal, you probably have very little to risk in trying it for pain. Although there is no solid scientific evidence that it will work, there are reports that narcotic use in states that have legalized use has dropped considerably. It is possible that, just like with Marinol for nausea, some people will find it works and others will not.

Best wishes to you

Bob
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.

Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    For a few days after transplant, I used Marinol (synthetic THC) to stimulate my appetite. That, perhaps controlling nausea, and getting stoned, are the known and observable effects of all forms of marijuana. All the rest is rumor, hype, wishful thinking or sales pitch. What remains clear is that smoking it carries the potential for lung cancer. The American lung association cautions specifically against smoking it, as some of the same carcinogens are released as with tobacco use. [url]http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html[/url].

If it was truly a curative or preventative drug, the baby boomer generation and onward would be essentially free of cancer. Not so.

Wow. I am a "Baby Boomer" and I have never smoked it. That includes 32 months in Vietnam. You know the War where everyone ran around high as a kite.

Quote Originally Posted by BobInBonita View Post
    Squamos Steve,

Marinol (dronabinol), a synthetic form of THC, has been approved for chemo induced nausea and also for appetite stimulation.

The National Cancer Institute has monographs on many "alternative" treatments, including marijuana. Here is a link to their site:
    [URL="https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/cannabis-pdq#section/_1"]NCI - Marijuana (professional version)[/URL]

There is quite a bit of preclinical work that has been done, but research in humans has been limited by regulations. There is ongoing research in several countries on pain control

As far as risk is concerned, page 9 delves into the cancer risk of chronic use.

I read your history in another post. Since you live in a state where it is legal, you probably have very little to risk in trying it for pain. Although there is no solid scientific evidence that it will work, there are reports that narcotic use in states that have legalized use has dropped considerably. It is possible that, just like with Marinol for nausea, some people will find it works and others will not.

Best wishes to you

Bob
    Bob I was actually intending to use it to gain weight. I have enough pain meds to kill a large herd of Elephant. I have been told by friends that the Oil in Marijuana is what kills it. They say it starves the Cancer of Oxygen. Of course there is no proof. I have been given a drug (Mirtazapine) that is supposed to give me an appetite. I am going to try it tonight. Says take one tablet at bedtime. I hope it's long lasting because I rarely get up in the middle of the night to eat LOL.

I am actually going for a new treatment in a week and a half. Like all trials you get no guarantees. But the alternative is they remove the entire right side of my Face and Head. They have already done that twice and it hasn't worked. And the Surgeon says he has run out of places to get material to rebuild what they cut off. I am really hoping this works as I am running out of options.

Experienced User
    It would be great if cbd/cannabis oil killed cancer, but it doesn't. There is no living proof that I've seen. I would recommend you trying the oil or even smoking it, you will get the munchies and it will help the pain and nausea. Although there is no guarantee it will help for pain. It actually makes arthritis pain worse. But it may help pain from cancer/chemo.

Colorado is filled with pure cannabis oils. They are great as anti-seizure remedies and cures, especially in young kids. I've seen it work wonders like a miracle drug for anti-seizure...but i haven't seen it kill cancer. If I had cancer id be smoking it, and taking the cbt oil,, but remember, marijuana can weaken the immune system, and that's something you don't want to happen. If anything, you need to strengthen that immune system to fight the cancer in the body. From what i hear, all disease starts from a weak gut/immune system. I've seen it save kids lives, ones who have terrible life threatening seizures. Give it a try. You'll never know until you try it. Pure cannabis is best. Try to mail-order the cbd oils from Colorado or have someone get it locally for you. Try both oil and bud.

I know a child she was having 300 grand mal seizures a week. Cannabis stopped this.
    Here is the link: [url]http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/index.html[/url]

Big pharma is against marijuana because god put it on this earth. Believe me, marijuana is a life saver, especially for seizures!

Cannabis has been shown to kill cancer cells in the laboratory (see Question 6).
    Ref: [url]https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/cannabis-pdq#link/_13[/url]

All information referenced below provided by Cancer.gov

Antitumor activity

Studies in mice and rats have shown that cannabinoids may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow. Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.

A study in mice showed that cannabinoids may protect against inflammation of the colon and may have potential in reducing the risk of colon cancer, and possibly in its treatment.

A laboratory study of delta-9-THC in hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) cells showed that it damaged or killed the cancer cells. The same study of delta-9-THC in mouse models of liver cancer showed that it had antitumor effects. Delta-9-THC has been shown to cause these effects by acting on molecules that may also be found in non-small cell lung cancer cells and breast cancer cells.

A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in estrogen receptor positive and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells showed that it caused cancer cell death while having little effect on normal breast cells. Studies in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer showed that cannabinoids may lessen the growth, number, and spread of tumors.

A review of 34 studies of cannabinoids in glioma tumor models found that all but one study showed that cannabinoids can kill cancer cells without harming normal cells.

A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in human glioma cells showed that when given along with chemotherapy, CBD may make chemotherapy more effective and increase cancer cell death without harming normal cells. Studies in mouse models of cancer showed that CBD together with delta-9-THC may make chemotherapy such as temozolomide more effective.

Stimulating appetite

Many animal studies have shown that delta-9-THC and other cannabinoids stimulate appetite and can increase food intake.

Pain relief

Cannabinoid receptors (molecules that bind cannabinoids) have been studied in the brain, spinal cord, and nerve endings throughout the body of animals to understand their roles in pain relief.

Cannabinoids have been studied for anti-inflammatory effects that may play a role in pain relief.

Animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may prevent nerve problems (pain, numbness, tingling, swelling, and muscle weakness) caused by some types of chemotherapy.

Nausea and vomiting

Cannabinoid receptors found in brain cells may have a role in controlling nausea and vomiting. Animal studies have shown that delta-9-THC and other cannabinoids may act on cannabinoid receptors to prevent vomiting caused by certain types of chemotherapy.

Anxiety and sleep

Cannabinoid receptors found in the brain and other parts of the nervous system may be involved in controlling mood and anxiety.
    Anti-anxiety effects of cannabidiol (CBD) have been shown in several animal models.

And as you are aware, it's a great anti-seizure medicine.

Nobody says it will cure your cancer, but if you want to try it, consult with your oncologist and search the web for Realm of Caring website which includes the best of the best CBD Oil such as Charlotte's Web CBD Oil by the Stanley Brothers, see CNN article above, and Elixinol CBD Oil.
    Last edited by dec0der; 12-24-2017 at 05:57 AM.

This is my first post on the forum so I'll give a little history of my prostate cancer. I'm 76 years old and in good health otherwise. I was first cautioned about my prostate in 2010 when my PSA was 4.3. I was moving from Georgia to Nebraska and my doctor said I should have that checked out when I got here. My first visit with a NE doctor confirmed that my PSA was rising rapidly and had reached 11.9.. He suggested I see a urologist, which I did. He conducted a biopsy and said I did, indeed, have cancer in my Prostate. He also said that my cancer was an aggressive kind and that I needed to do something now. He suggested surgery and I agreed. After the surgery the urologist sent me to an oncologist who recommended radiation and Lupron injections. I did the 35 sessions of radiation and started the Lupron. All of this was in 2011. I've been getting the Lupron injections every 4 months since and my PSA was held in check at about .1 until 3 months ago when it jumped to 3.12. The urologist sent me to another oncologist who reviewed my history and recommended a catscan and a biopsy. I refused and he said that I might have 6 months to a year to live. Now, I am having no symptoms of anything other than the hot flashes and tiredness related to the Lupron. He said he could prescribe a drug called Zytega that might extend my life by a year or two, but the cost is $10,000/ month. I wil not give the pharmaceutical companies that much money even to stay alive a little longer. I think it's ridiculous that any drug cost that much. So, now my question. I've been reading online about people who claim that cannabis oil has cured their cancers. I'm skeptical of these anecdotes and am seeking information from people who have tried it and what their results have been. I understand that it can relieve pain associated with cancer, but have found no studies that prove it. Any information that anyone has regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Essentially, you could have read this thread in which you posted for your answers.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - Radiation+Xeloda, 25 days in 5 weeks
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-Nov 2017 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789
    @pancanology

Quote Originally Posted by ddessert View Post
    Essentially, you could have read this thread in which you posted for your answers.
    Excuse me. I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't see anything in this thread that indicated that anybody who replied had any real experience with cannabis curing cancer. I did see people commenting on what they have heard, but no personal experience.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Mountainrivers:

You did not offend anyone. You will not find that cannabis cured cancer on this site anywhere. While there are benefits, there is no proof it cures cancer which it doesn't. This thread covered the conversation and provided information..

closing thread at this point