A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard painless lump in neck

Hello again, Adam-

I was wondering how your biopsy went. My thoughts about the FNA were, "man, that's a lot of pressure, concentrated on my neck!"

The pathologist that did my biopsy didn't say much either, just a few words under his breath. He told me that he would have to run a few tests on the samples, and then left it up to my ENT at the time to break the news.

Just an FYI, while you're waiting on results. The area where they took the biopsy might bruise up and swell. I think I was advised to use a cool pack of ice and anti-inflammatory meds.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED

Regular User
    Ugh waiting is the worst. Especially when you get comments that you overthink. Just recently I had an MRI of a soft tissue mass behind my knee. Of course it was a late Friday appointment and the radiologist wasn't in. after the scan, the technician came in and told me she had no idea what it was but it was definitely something and it looked really weird. She went as far as to pull me into the booth and show me the images herself. Upon leaving, she told the front desk lady, within earshot of me, to send my scan to the radiologists house over the weekend.

Needless to say I was a basketcase all weekend waiting to hear the results the following week. What was it you ask? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! So as the gentleman above said, it's nothing until they say it's something.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyLou View Post
    Hello again, Adam-

I was wondering how your biopsy went. My thoughts about the FNA were, "man, that's a lot of pressure, concentrated on my neck!"

The pathologist that did my biopsy didn't say much either, just a few words under his breath. He told me that he would have to run a few tests on the samples, and then left it up to my ENT at the time to break the news.

Just an FYI, while you're waiting on results. The area where they took the biopsy might bruise up and swell. I think I was advised to use a cool pack of ice and anti-inflammatory meds.

Thanks for asking Lou. The FNA was the easy part. I felt a bit of pushing but not too much. The core biopsy was WAY more pressure than I could have imagined. They weren't able to get the needle into the mass; so they used a smaller needle to punch through, then switched back to the core needle. I swear it was 50 lbs of force. I was starting to feel pain deeper into my neck where the local anesthetic hadn't reached and feared when the needle broke through it would go straight into my spine or something.

I had 4 people in the room for the procedure- an imaging technician (Applying ultrasound equipment to the mass), the radiologist (performing the FNA and core), the pathologist (examining the FNA results microscopically and advising on the core biopsy location), and an RN (taking notes I think). They injected lidocaine into 4 different locations before the 3 FNA stabs. Then two more lidocaine shots before the core. Then a small incision. Then then the core (which took near 15 minutes). The site is pretty swollen and sore after however many stabs that was. The lidocaine has drained mostly but it's awfully swollen and I'd expect some bruising.

And yes- Ice for 15 minutes once an hour is what I was told. Absolutely no ibuprofen for 3 days. ONLY Tylenol. Cleared to swim and golf in Mexico- told not to drink the water there though, lol.

I'm following Po's mantra- It's not cancer until the pathology report says it is. At the same time this has been a lot in 8 days. I always thought these things take more time. I guess I should feel fortunate I've been able to get in so quickly.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtema View Post
    Ugh waiting is the worst. Especially when you get comments that you overthink. Just recently I had an MRI of a soft tissue mass behind my knee. Of course it was a late Friday appointment and the radiologist wasn't in. after the scan, the technician came in and told me she had no idea what it was but it was definitely something and it looked really weird. She went as far as to pull me into the booth and show me the images herself. Upon leaving, she told the front desk lady, within earshot of me, to send my scan to the radiologists house over the weekend.

Needless to say I was a basketcase all weekend waiting to hear the results the following week. What was it you ask? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! So as the gentleman above said, it's nothing until they say it's something.
    Yeah not getting worked up. It was that pathologists one comment after the quick analysis. But as Po said, it wasn't meant to be a state of cell comment. I'm not sure if a pathologist is able to detect bad cells immediately and I don't much care to know either. I can wait the 2-3 days.

However when they walked me out to my wife, she asked how it went. The nurse said "It didn't go exactly as planned. We needed to do a core biopsy" which she didn't need to hear as she didn't understand what that means. With the anxiety she has, it was unnecessary. I was fully capable of sharing the information about the procedure with her. Be it all of the info or not.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyLou View Post
    Hello again, Adam-

Lou- I replied to you but it said the post needed moderator approval- not sure what dicey verbiage I used. Sorry moderators.

Regular User
    Geez! I know these people mean well but I swear it's like the more they say, the more anxiety it creates. At least you'll be in Mexico soon!! .

Regular User
    Any word yet? Thinking of you...

Regular User
    Thanks sgtema!!
    No word yet. We opted to wait for our return from Mexico. I'm scheduled for Friday at 1:30 to get the news. Decided it was best for now. Results came last Friday...

Regular User
    That's some serious restraint. You're a better human than I. Lol

Regular User
    Snow in Denver caused us flight issues. Appt. now Monday at 10 am.