A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hard painless lump in neck

Regular User
    Wooooohoooooo. No cancer!!! The lump was diagnosed a Warthin's tumor, which is a benign parotid tumor. I'm scheduled to have it removed two weeks from today. Not the simplest surgery, but leaving it in would eventually cause issues with the surrounding nerves, ultimately leading to partial or full paralysis of that side of my face.

There're some funny side effects that last a lifetime (which I'm happy to deal with), like sweating from that side of my face and neck every time I eat (apparently no matter what's ingested), irregular saliva production, etc. All small things in the realm. Because such tumors are quite uncommon for people under the age of 50, there's a higher probability that it returns later in life. No big deal though. In the end, I'll have an "I'm a tough guy" scar. There is no known cause.

Thanks for the support from this group. It lingered in my head always, but whenever I was over anxious I was able to say to myself "It's not cancer until the pathologist says it is" -and- In the very slight chance it is, "Bring it on" (Thanks Po!- truly an inspiration you are). I realize this forum is for diagnosed patients, but the words of wisdom really did help me and my wife with the anxiety and I cannot thank you enough for the time taken from your day, especially under your circumstances.

For now, my thoughts are with those battling the big C. Nightly prayers for all of you.

Regular User
    What a blessing! So happy it's not the big C. Good luck to you moving forward

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Great news, Adam! Glad to hear it. As we age, things go wrong and we simply have to be vigilant while avoiding becoming obsessed. It's a balancing act. May the removal of the tumor be without complication, your recovery quick, and may you have a renewed sense of the value of each day of life.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Regular User
    Thanks to all.

This whole adventure has been a valuable learning experience. The renewed sense of life and love is overwhelming. It's easy to get lost. I never would've agreed I was prior to this. Now I know I was. For me, it comes to reference. It's easy to keep things at almost any reference in a comfortable manner once adjusted. It's what's normal at any point in time. If I can raise my reference because it's easier for to understand the value to life, it helps be become a better person, hopefully permanently. In that case, this is a blessing.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Adam, as odd as it sounds, if the clock could be rolled back to 2008 and I be given the choice of normal health, or cancer, I would choose the cancer. It has intensified the experience of life, taken me in new directions and helped me to realize the purpose of my life. How can that be classed as a negative? We often value something more when it is in jeopardy, and nothing in this world is greater to us than life itself.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Regular User
    Yeah that all sounds like crazy talk, but I'm beginning to understand.

Wow, Adam--I'm so happy to hear the news! What a good story of thinking potentially of the worst, and then having it come out for the best. I have a friend who had a similar, benign partoid tumor. You're absolutely correct in having it removed.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us--hopefully, you never need to use a forum like this, except to pass along good medical news.

All the best.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyLou View Post
    Wow, Adam--I'm so happy to hear the news! What a good story of thinking potentially of the worst, and then having it come out for the best. I have a friend who had a similar, benign partoid tumor. You're absolutely correct in having it removed.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us--hopefully, you never need to use a forum like this, except to pass along good medical news.

All the best.
    Thanks Lou. Moving forward, yes, I hope to be on this forum solely to check on the progress of you all.

Best,
    Adam