A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Stage IIIa Mucinous Adenocarcinoma. Please help me set expectations

Newbie New User

Stage IIIa Mucinous Adenocarcinoma. Please help me set expectations

Hello,

I'm posting a message to this board after observing for a few weeks now. Back in January, 2017, my mother was diagnosed with mucinous adenocarcinoma in her lower right lobe. The exact diagnosis was well-differentiated adenocarcinoma, lepidic growth, mucinous type. In the two months that have passed, we've done CT scans, a PET scan, and a lobectomy of her lower right lobe.

We thought the surgery would be curative. Her oncologist keeps stressing (to this day) that this is an 'extremely low grade' tumor. Her margins cleared with the resection, which was good, but they sampled 4 nodes total and one of her lymph nodes in the mediastinal area was positive. The others were negative, but as I understand it, any cancer found in a mediastinal node is significant. With this news, we were crushed. We thought we may have had this resected, but we found it in a lymph node. The tumor itself was confirmed to be entirely well-differentiated, and as such, very low-grade. Her tumor was Stage 2b at 5.2CM in the largest dimension, and her ultimate stage considering the lymph node was 3a. Her oncologist keeps telling her that she's had this for a while...I think he's saying that because he's thinking this is slow-moving.

Mom has just completed her first round of chemo. She's doing a combination of carboplatin and pemetrexed. Cisplantin was ruled out because she donated her kidney, and renal failure is a risk with cisplantin. As it was explained to us, there isn't too much loss of effectiveness with carboplantin. She's tolerated round one of chemo very well, and after 4 rounds, she'll go to targeted radiation in the area of the affected lymph node.

My ask of this group is to help set expectations. Mom has stage iiia mucinous adenocarcinoma. Is there a chance she was cured with surgery? Is there a chance the chemo and radiation will cure her if she wasn't cured by surgery? Am I foolish to think that's what will happen? I don't know (and am afraid to ask the oncologist) about the significance of the 'very low-grade' comments. As I understand it, well-differentiated mucinous adenocarcinoma doesn't show-up on a PET scan because it's not very metabolically active. Does this mean it doesn't move fast?

Please let me know what to think. Mom is 67, and is handling everything extremely well. There's a certain degree of 'ignorance' that my mom and dad have, and they feel that they're over the hump. Mom is willing to do whatever it takes to get through this, but I can't help but wonder if it will be enough...will I get 10 years with my mom? I can't lose her.

Thanks to any and all who can help.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello regiment96 and sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis. Based on what i know, i am not medically educated, it is reassuring the tumor was resected successfully with clear margins. I would take that as good news. Unfortunately, there was some node involvement so the medical team is accurate in the next course of treatment with chemotherapy followed up with targeted radiation.

On her prognosis, it is difficult to say but sounds like her outcome may be good. Only time will tell and also how successful chemo will be.

Many have found and will agree, take each day as it comes. It's very scary and you are being very supportive for your mom in making sure you are knowledgeable with her specific type of cancer.

Pf course we are here for you and will do our best to answer your questions to the best of our ability.

Keep us updated and stay strong.

Lisa

Hello regiment96,

I am sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I agree with Lisa that clear margins is a good sign. One always worries when lymph nodes are involved. This does make calling the outcome more difficult but it does not mean that it is dire either. Chemo may take care of this.

All I can tell you is what my experience was. My husband has squamous non small cell lung cancer stage 3b. The tumor was over 7 cm and there were 2 lymph nodes involved. Surgery was out of the question as the tumor was too close to the heart. He was 40 at the time and otherwise healthy so they hit him hard with radiation and chemo. Chemo was cisplatin and etoposide. The onc told him his was going to put him within an inch of death with the treatments to try to save him and he nearly did. Originally they gave him a 10% chance to make it 8 months. That was April 2014. In December 2014 they pronounced him NED - no evidence of disease and he remains that way today.

Will it be the same for your mom? I sure hope so. But you never truly know the outcome until after the treatments are done and some time has passed. As Lisa says, during that time we are here to help ok? If you need to vent, ask questions, need a shoulder to lean on - we are here. The road your mom and you and the family are travelling is a difficult one but you do not have to be alone.

In the meantime, live, laugh and love. Don't let the cancer take that away from all of you. Life is meant to be lived to the fullest no matter what challenge is before us.

Think of you and wishing you all the best,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Thanks Jodie and Lisa.

The uncertainty coupled with the vast scope of outcomes makes this so hard to deal with. Mom looks so healthy and it's really difficult to imagine that she's carrying this disease that threatens so many people's lives.

I really appreciate the support. I'll be around in due time. In the meantime, I have a newfound respect and sympathy for those who are going through something similar. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

-Jeff

Newbie New User
    Quick update on my mom.

She's finished 4 rounds of Carboplatin + Pemetrexed and will be getting ready to move to radiation treatment soon...however, we may be dealing with a setback. There was a CT scan done to identify where, exactly, to target radiation, and it showed some fluid in the lung. It also showed a slightly darker area at the very bottom of her lung.

Her oncologist and her radiologist thought it was nothing, but they want to do a PET scan just to be sure. Maybe I'm a bit of a layman here, but are there causes for the fluid/dark area on her CT scan other than a recurrence? Would scarring/healing of her surgery be a potential cause for these? Her surgery was 4 months ago.
    Last edited by regiment96; 06-16-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Hi regiment96,

Sorry to hear of the possible concerning news. I am afraid I am not certain myself of what the darker area might be.

Do let us know how things go. Will be thinking of her and you.

Jodie
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Hi all,

I wanted to post an update, just so I'm not the one who's only posting when there's bad news or a scare. Immediately after having a concern on a CT scan, we did a PET scan and it showed nothing at all. As soon as we had that result, mom started with Radiation and is about 2.5 weeks in. She's got a bit of a cold/sinus congestion, but otherwise, she's dealing with it well.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Thank you Jeff for updating your thread with very good news indeed.

All things considered, your Mom is doing very well and hoping each day will get a little easier for her once she get's finished with the radiation.

Lisa

Yes thanks for the update. We like good news! May things continue to go well for your Mom!

All the best,
    Jodie
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto