A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Treated for colitis for years...now D.C. is ovarian cancer..so afraid

Newbie New User

Question Treated for colitis for years...now D.C. is ovarian cancer..so afraid

In 2011 I started losing weight and had terrible diarrhea,went to gastro dr. and Dx with microscopic colitis and tried many medicines for 5 yrs..some easing of diarrhea until this past Dec when I started having abdominal pain and went to new Dr. who after looking at cat scan with contrast and a pet scan saw a large mass in colon. Hospitalized that day with surgery the next day to remove mass which he attributed to severe diverticulitis....wound up with an ostomy bag with hopes of reattaching bowel in 3 months...easy peasy right? Well it turns out it was cancer with no lymph node involvement but that it had come from my left ovary...Dr suggested chemo for 3 months then surgery then 3 more months of chemo. Having just had colon surgery it seemed like a good plan. I might add since the colitis dx I have lost more than 35 lbs. I only weigh 87 lbs now and am very fatigued from the colon surgery. I am going to the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday for a second opinion ( I live in SC) and hope to validate the first dr's protocol..My kids live in Cleveland and because of the reputation of the CC I'm tempted to go with them...Do you all think I'm being overreacting to upset mylife moving in with my kids while I do trust my dr's down here?

Hi Estrogen,

Sorry to hear of all you went through and that you had to look us up. Although you have a good question, I think you need to wait to see what happens in Cleveland first. Then you will have all the information to make an informed decision. Then, it is truly your choice; after all it is your life.

I hope you are able to gain some weight back and get some more energy. Have you talked to a dietician to maybe help you with that?

Please continue to keep us posted.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Newbie New User
    Thank you for replying, I am so overwhelmed that you are right I should just wait and see what the Clinic says then make my decision. Thanks for caring

No problem. That is what we are here for. You will find a very supportive group here. Sometimes this forum can be a little quiet but please do not let that stop you from posting. I watch it nearly daily.

As for being overwhelmed, well I am sure you are. You are going through a lot with many unanswered questions and possibilities. May I suggest you keep yourself busy doing things you love? I find it really helped me to keep my mind busy and not thinking of all the stuff I didn't want to think about. Or if there is something else that works for you - go for it! That way you are doing something you enjoy and thinking less of this junk.

Hang in there and look forward to hearing back from you.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!