A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: What treatment options do we have for someone diagnosed with stage 4 HCC Liver Cancer

Newbie New User

What treatment options do we have for someone diagnosed with stage 4 HCC Liver Cancer

My dad is 68 years old. He was just diagnosed with Stage 4 HCC with cirrhosis and Hepatitis C. The cancer is on both left and right lobes of the liver and is spread to the abdomen and lungs as well. We heard chemo is the only possibility at this point (and if successful, there are liver surgery/transplant options down the road). What would be the most effective chemo treatment to start with?

Physically he is feeling well these days (we havenít started any treatment), although complains about pain in abdomen and can eat selectively to avoid vomiting. He walks around and has clear mind (he is a brilliant mathematician).

Have there been any successful cases in the past for this condition? Which doctors and hospitals do you suggest? Also, what are we looking at in terms of timelines?

Thank so much for the help!

Newbie New User
    I would say Sorafenib targeted oral chemo.

Newbie New User
    Thank you for the reply, Nancy! He has actually been taking Sorafenib for the past 3 weeks or so; the side effects have been really bad though. But starting yesterday, his condition has worsened dramatically. He cannot even form sentences anymore, cannot walk on his own, can't comprehend certain things (keeps asking what is this, etc). He's extremely fatigued, in a lot of pain, anxious and restless.

Can anyone please tell me what patients feel or what symptoms they have when they are approaching the end? And his condition got worse all of a sudden. Is that expected in liver cancer?

Newbie New User
    There is often confusion due to toxins not being cleared and increased Ammonia levels. I'm sorry this is happening. Have you gotten stronger pain meds for him? Comfort is so important now. I enlisted Hospice for my husband towards the end. He had no pain but was very confused and lost 60lbs. HTC is brutal.

Regular User
    My husband does not have HCC however he does have a disease called Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. I think you should call your doctor because something called Hepatic Encephalopathy. There are things that the doctor can do to bring the ammonia and toxins down. This is usually what causes the confusion and disorientation.
    Husband diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma, 2/5
    Stage 1aNOMO
    Wide Local Excision
    Pathology showed clear margins.