A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Psa 25.54

Newbie New User
    Hi Jim, thanks for the input, I am meeting with the radiation therapy on the 27th of this month, are there different kinds of radiation?
    The 16th of May was for a 2nd opinion
    I am not concerned about the sex

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by ASAdvocate View Post
    ... Ray has been assigned a Grade Group of 3, using the Epstein/WHO guidelines. Both of his doctors agree with that grouping. Yet, the biopsy report would appear to support a higher grouping. Not sure why this is. Anyone?

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/...ancer_outcomes
    Only one paragraph in that link has much useful information (at least for a dyslexic),
    that beginning in the middle of the page with "The results suggested..." thru "common combinations of the Gleason score". So now I'm supposed to call myself and guys like me "Group 4"? Reminds me of Alice's Restaurant.

Anyway, I find the tables at the bottom of the following page to be more informative... again, to a dyslexic: Prostate Cancer: Stages and Grades

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1944 View Post
    Thanks for the comments, I have also had 4 heart attacks with 7 stints, my insurance man has had this for 8 years, he suggests doing nothing just wait and
    see, he said I will die from something else before the cancer. I am going to get a 2nd opinion May 16

If your heart is in bad enough shape, or you have other co-morbidities, that its very unlikely you'll be alive in 10 years, your insurance man may have a valid point.

But you're PSA has been rising, you may live longer than they might think, and its certainly possible that this is a curable cancer. In a few years that might not be the case.
    Nov 2013 PSA 4.2 Biopsy Jan 2014- 1 core positive, 20% Gleason 6, doctor highly reco'ed robotic RP - 2nd opinion at UPMC April 2014, put on active surveillance. 2nd biopsy Feb 2015, results negative. PSA test Feb 2016, 3.5. 3rd Biopsy Feb 2016. 3 positive cores less than 5%, Gleason 6. Octotype DX done April 2016, GPS Score of 24--rated "Low risk". PSA test 8/2016, 3.2.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
    Only one paragraph in that link has much useful information (at least for a dyslexic),
    that beginning in the middle of the page with "The results suggested..." thru "common combinations of the Gleason score". So now I'm supposed to call myself and guys like me "Group 4"? Reminds me of Alice's Restaurant.

Anyway, I find the tables at the bottom of the following page to be more informative... again, to a dyslexic: Prostate Cancer: Stages and Grades
    If you read the link you provided, under "Gleason Score for grading prostate cancer", you will find the new Grading Groups at the end of that section. The purpose in announcing the newer groupings was to end the confusion caused by low risk being a 6 on a scale of 10. That had to be fixed.
    DOB: May 1944
    In Active Surveillance program at Johns Hopkins
    Five biopsies from 2009 to 2014. The third and fourth biopsies were positive with one core and three cores <5% and G 3+3. Fifth biopsy was negative.
    OncotypeDX: 86 percent chance of PCa remaining indolent
    August 2015: tests are stable; no MRI or biopsy this year for my AS program
    August 2016: MRI unchanged from 2/2014; PSA=3.9; FPSA=26; PHI=28. No biopsy necessary.

A NOTE ON PSA: My readings have been erratic for over 10 years; typically being 3.5-4.2, but spiking to over 10 at times.
    These spikes are asymtomatic to me, and resolve themselves. A prostate biopsy can triple the PSA, which lasts for months.
    Last Free PSA was 26. I don't worry about PSA spikes anymore.

Senior User
    If you read the link you provided, under "Gleason Score for grading prostate cancer", you will find the new Grading Groups at the end of that section. The purpose in announcing the newer groupings was to end the confusion caused by low risk being a 6 on a scale of 10. That had to be fixed.
    I understand the need for simplification, and thanks for your reply... but that exact phrase does not appear on the page I'm viewing ("New 'Condensed' Grading System Shown Accurate for Predicting Prostate Cancer Outcomes"). I did follow one of the "related stories" links at the bottom, but it leads to a very simple and relatively uninformative 2 paragraph article on "Grading of Prostate Cancer".

It's probably not real important anyway.

That's funny, RobLee, because I was referencing YOUR link.

All good
    DOB: May 1944
    In Active Surveillance program at Johns Hopkins
    Five biopsies from 2009 to 2014. The third and fourth biopsies were positive with one core and three cores <5% and G 3+3. Fifth biopsy was negative.
    OncotypeDX: 86 percent chance of PCa remaining indolent
    August 2015: tests are stable; no MRI or biopsy this year for my AS program
    August 2016: MRI unchanged from 2/2014; PSA=3.9; FPSA=26; PHI=28. No biopsy necessary.

A NOTE ON PSA: My readings have been erratic for over 10 years; typically being 3.5-4.2, but spiking to over 10 at times.
    These spikes are asymtomatic to me, and resolve themselves. A prostate biopsy can triple the PSA, which lasts for months.
    Last Free PSA was 26. I don't worry about PSA spikes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ray1944 View Post
    Hi Jim, thanks for the input, I am meeting with the radiation therapy on the 27th of this month, are there different kinds of radiation?
    The 16th of May was for a 2nd opinion
    I am not concerned about the sex
    Thanks for not being offended by my direct approach, Ray. Yes, there are different kinds of radiation. Dr. Walsh's book covers the subject in detail.

While my experience is with post-surgery salvage radiation, I will defer to our forum brothers who chose radiation as their primary treatment.

Guys?
    LUNG
    Age: 71 -- 12/2013 - Cat Scan sees new irregular 1.8 cm nodule in right middle lobe.
    3/13/14 - PET Cat Scan confirms presence of same nodule -- same size. Nodule lights up indicating likelihood of lung cancer -- Location not conducive to biopsy.
    3/17/14 - Three top doctors say it MUST come out via a wedge re-section. If cancerous, the entire right middle lobe must be surgically removed.
    6/13/14 - Nodule shrank by 1/3. Not cancer. Surgery cancelled. Next scan 9/14. Nodule "resolved" - gone.

PROSTATE
    8/2010 - PSA: 4.95
    9/2010 - Biopsy - 2 out of 12 cores positive - Gleason: 3+4=7
    11/8/2010 - DaVinci RALP - small positive margin - was told it was meaningless.
    2/11 - PSA: 0.02; 8/11 - PSA: 0.04; 2/12 - PSA: 0.06; 8/12 - PSA: 0.08; 2/13 - PSA: 0.11; 5/13 - PSA: 0.16 - referred to oncology radiologist.
    9/2013: 40 sessions of IMRT salvage radiation completed.
    1/14, 4/14, 7/14, 10/14, 1/15, 8/15, 3/16, 8/16, 3/17 - All PSA: 0.00

Senior User
    That's funny, RobLee, because I was referencing YOUR link.
    DOH! Lupron brain strikes again