A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy on the block

Regular User

New guy on the block

My name is Bruce I was diagnosed with Acute ALL Leukemia Philadelphia Positive around Dec 6, 2917. Had my stem cell transplant Feb 22, 2017. Just got out of the hospital again after a nine day stay with complications due to my Sprycell Chemo Drug.

I am also a 100% disabled Veteran and my Leukemia came from exposure to Agent Orange and Contaminated Camp Lejune drinking water. Even though both are an automatic service connection I am still waiting for the VA to approve my service connection long story.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Sorry to welcome you here under these circumstances. You can also post in the transplant forum, since you are now post-transplant. The good and the bad news is that the leukemia forum is fairly quiet. More and more, including myself, are now post-transplant. Or, I can move your thread - just let me know.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Experienced User
    I'm a Veteran as well ( My son had ALL) ...Do you have an advocate? ( DAV, VFW , ETC) ...I found they helped with dealing with the VA...Good luck and best wishes
    Son Jacob - 21 years old
    Diagnosed Acute T-Cell ALL July 15th 2012
    Induction Phase from 7/17/12 to 8/15 ( Day 29) Hit Remission couple days prior
    He's on a "Clinic Trial" and qualified for Nelarabine in his Consolidation Phase/Maintenance Phase
    Started Consolidation 8/19/12 - Ended on 11/7/12
    Started Interim Maintenance on 11-28-12 - Ended on 1/23/13
    Started Delayed Intensification on 1/23/13
    Started Maintenance Arm B on 4/10/13 ( It will last 180 days
    Last Round of Nelarabine on 10/25 /13 - Port Removed on 10/30/13
    Started Maintenance Arm B ( No Nelarabine) on 12/16/13
    Continued maintenance ( 90 day lumbar with IT Chemo - 30 Day Vincristine push)
    Will have last Lumbar with Chemo in September 2015
    Off treatment in December of 2015

Post Treatment issues:
    2016 - diagnosed with Necrosis of both knees ( in femur)

Regular User
    WOW so sorry I have not checked in for some time it has been a busy time as you all know. Will let a couple updates replies so as not to make one HUGE post.

I have been a 100% disabled veteran for many years and am medically retired from the Marines. When I found out I had Acute All Leukemia I went to a private hospital long story. My Bone marrow test showed my bone marrow was 85% Leukemia so they then transferred me same day to the Hershey Cancer Institute where I have been under going treatment for the last 8.5 months. On Feb 22, 2017 I had my stem cell transplant my sister and brother were perfect matches DR said that was a miracle my brother donated his stem cells. To date I have 95% of his stem cells and still 5% of my own stem cells.

Back to the VA being a 100% disabled veteran I called the VA hospital and informed them of my condition I was told over the phone they would not pay for my treatment, I said I am a 100% disabled veteran PT/SC and you are to provide my treatment well he said it is to expensive we will not pay for it.

So I have Medicare and Fed Blue Cross the Fed blue cross said they would pay for my treatment. Then the VA sent me a letter stating since my Leukemia was not service related they would not pay for it. I had the exact kind of Leukemia that is to be considered automatically service related for Agent Orange and Contaminated Camp Lejeune drinking water.

So I contacted my DAV chapter SO and he filed a claim I also contacted my local Senator both said they were working to fast track my claim.

Well then I get a letter from the VA stating they have enrolled me under the VA Choice program but it states they will not pay for care leading up to a Stem Cell Transplant, The Stem Cell Transplant or Care after the Stem Cell Transplant.
    To date I am not sure if the VA has paid for any of my treatment but the Blue Cross & Shield has been a blessing.

Regular User
    I was in the hospital and received the chemo IVs leading up to my stem cell transplant then was placed of a chemo pill Sprycel after taking the Sprycel. I was going to the out patient cancer hospital daily. I had many blood transfusions, platelet transfusions and other transfusions but after awhile things got stable and I started to go just once a week to out patient. After taking the Sprycel for say 5 months my kidneys shut down they placed me back in the hospital and water was building bu on the outside of my lungs and leaking into my lungs. But they got me all fixed up and after 10 days I was discharged.
    They switched me to a new chemo pill Nilotinib that works through your liver, have been taking that now for I guess 3 months now. The Doctor has now cut my outpatient visits to monthly visits. My liver test has been elevated though but he is not concerned about that yet. He is now trying to cut my anti-rejection medication back they tried that before but my liver test got to bad so he put me back on the same dosage so will see what happens this time. He has only cut me back by 1/4 of what I was taking.

Happy to say I am still doing ok the new chemo pills do not get to the brain as good so they gave me a chemo injection into my spinal fluid I am getting another one December 15th. I did get my hair back some but seem to be loosing more again after that chemo injection but what is hair right.
    Anyway my treatment for my Acute All Leukemia Phil Positive continues I still have I guess 16 more months to take the chemo pills.
    God bless you all hang in there we will win this war it is hard but keep a positive attitude. I have been trying to walk some daily but will cut that back some I had two spinal cord operations in the past and needed another one that is how I found out I had Leukemia I as being tested to get my their spinal cord operation did not get that. Two years ago I had to have 18 inches of my colon removed also so been through other operations but this cancer treatment sure is going to take a long time but I thank God daily I am still alive and with my family oh yes I am 68 years young.

Regular User
    Just checking in my ALL is still inactive going on around day 270 now. See my cancer DR again Dec 13th and Dec 15th get another chemo injection into my spinal fluid as the Nilotinib chemo pills do not get to the brain as good as the Sprycel chemo pills did. I had to stop taking the Sprycel as it shut down my kidneys was in the hospital for 10 days almost died but did not they switch me to the Nilotnib chemo pills then.

Well God Bless and take one day at a time we will beat this cancer war hang in there.

Thank you for the update! Not an easy journey, but a necessary one. Life is still worth fighting for, and still worth living.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

FYI - There is an ORAL pill chemotherapy drug out on the market now for IIRC CLL and CML, and I am taking it for AML. It improves the "death of a thousand needle sticks" that you tend to succumb to when you have some sort of leukemia. It's called Venetoclax/Venclexta. Don't know if you'll ever need in remission.

This is the quiet part of town, and you and a another new guy plus po18guy plus me are about it.

Best regards, Dead Man Walking
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; 12-03-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows blasts 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective
    12/4/17 Diagnosis: Uncontrolled refractory AML

Regular User
    Well just found my original post, had my one year birthday Feb 22, 2018 and still around. Now April 8, 2018 and I am doing good. See my cancer doctor tomorrow will get more blood work done as usual and hope everything is till ok. Funny now when I get lot's of muscle pain I worry hope this is not coming back but so far it has not so hope it will be the same tomorrow.
    Still tolerating the Nilotinib chemo pills have to take these for 11 more months yet hope the liver holds out.
    I have had lot's of other injuries seems like the all the chemo we get finds those old injuries and make them hurt more anyone elas e notice that. I usually do not tell my cancer DR I hurt because then he always sends me for tests that show nothing

The cancer doctor told me the magic number will be my second birthday Feb 22, 2019 then most likely the Leukemia will not come back so hoping to make the second birthday.
    Feel blessed since originally when I found I had the ALL Phil Positive the DR said I had 3 months to live without a stem cell transplant and I was lucky enough to get the stem cell transplant and I am still here.
    We all sure have been through a lot to say the least but all feel blessed to still be here talking about it.

Hang in there will post more after my Monday doctor visit. May God Bless you all.

Great to hear from you! Your posts give other hope. Example? On the main forum page, scroll down and see how many are visiting and reading. currently, there are 474 people reading posts and nly 17 members. So, a LOT of folks are being encouraged by your updates.

Which type of transplant did you have?
    02/09 2) Relapse.