A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The orchid garden, by DMW

The Secret Garden by DMW

Last edited by Dead Man Walking; 10-14-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi DMW

Are they your orchids ? They are nice flowers. Do you have a macro lens? From the looks of it I would say no to that last question

Try cropping them to get rid of the background or get in closer Did I say they were nice flowers
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Hey ChemoMan - I believe the pictures were taken with a Panasonic ZS-19 camera in January 2011, and I think the zoom on that one was 20X. So NO macro lens, and also NO HDR tricks, so these are spot-on original shots. As far as cropping, they were cropped to get out the artificial and distracting bits, but I left some of the variegated local background that abound on the island of Tenerife. Due to the nature of my therapy dog work, which is 100% real-time interaction, you take any opening given to you ON THE SPOT, because that is the only play you get. So when first or second timers come in here, I want to be able to give them something beautiful, comforting, and/or distracting ASAP!! I may rummage around in my 20,000 or so images and see what other gardens I can put together.
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows blasts 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective
    12/4/17 Diagnosis: Uncontrolled refractory AML

Blog Entries
    Hi DMW

With 20,000 images you have got your work cut out for you. This is why I use lightroom, it is about the best way I have found to keep things highly organized and I also do about 90% of my developing work in lightroom...the other 10% in Photoshop. The great thing about lightroom is all changes are non destructive which means it leaves the original files intact and only records changes in the metadata located on the database ready for when you want to print the final photo. I also have a huge stock of shots, 163 gigs worth.

Re those backgrounds I still find them distracting...but then I am a big cropper

With your permission I would like to grab one and work on it...and then repost it here.

Cheers
    Age 62

Still alive in 2019 !

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Go ahead and grab away, and see what you can do. To go back to my rationale for the pictures, the flowers are a quick 1st hit to break the misery and fear of those coming in the door, and the sunsets all comprise several cubic miles of space and color, so you can "float around inside them" for a while and get lost, and/or ponder the good advice from people like yourself. Unfortunately, with terminal leukemia you're just plain screwed, and so there aren't all sorts of drugs and stages and fancy terminology to discuss and debate over. That means I can live in relative peace and ignorance, and keep my camera "locked and loaded" when the sun starts to go down.
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective

Blog Entries
    You know DMW my brothers father in law was diagnosed with Leukemia (AML) in ICU when he was in a coma. They basically gave him 6 moths...that was 2.5 years ago.
    I caught up with him at Christmas and he was a picture of health.... in full remission and fitter than he ever had been. He was riding a bike everyday and really getting into it.

Time and time again members here have made liars of their doctors who made predictions about survival. Doctors while educated in medicine are not capable of reading the future. My hope is that you will make a liar of the person that gave you an imminent death sentence

Cheers
    Age 62

Still alive in 2019 !

DMW,

As a lover of orchids, they are indeed beautiful flowers. Thanks for posting. Somewhere on my list of things that haven't risen to the top is to sort through all of mine. I really admire your tenacity.

Bob
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.

Oh, and as far as being healthy, my 18 month old grandson who looks like I did 66 1/2 years ago got sick with some really nasty cold/flu, and gave it to his mom (my daughter) who started "calling ralph" on the white porcelain telephone, so my wife went down to take him off my daughter's hands. He stayed one night, and my wife pretty much puked all the next night, and then felt awful until today. The other grandmother also caught this barfonoma after only spending half and hour with him. I played with him some what, because old grandpas have to blow on his belly and make zerber noises and tickle him with an itchy old grandpa beard. Well, apparently my immune system is damn near bulletproof these days, because I feel fine!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
    Oh, and as far as being healthy, my 18 month old grandson who looks like I did 66 1/2 years ago got sick with some really nasty cold/flu, and gave it to his mom (my daughter) who started "calling ralph" on the white porcelain telephone, so my wife went down to take him off my daughter's hands. He stayed one night, and my wife pretty much puked all the next night, and then felt awful until today. The other grandmother also caught this barfonoma after only spending half and hour with him. I played with him some what, because old grandpas have to blow on his belly and make zerber noises and tickle him with an itchy old grandpa beard. Well, apparently my immune system is damn near bulletproof these days, because I feel fine!!
    For Petes sake man touch wood !
    Age 62

Still alive in 2019 !

Blog Entries
    I cropped first...then increased the dynamic range by bringing down the highlights and lightening the shadows... Then I bumped up clarity and Vibrance...then a slight bump up in saturation...Then I de-saturated the greens in the background...took 5 minutes and another 10 minutes mucking around uploading it !

d9bc77a713af3824be0c778a4f6e53e4DMW orchid1.jpg
    Age 62

Still alive in 2019 !