A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Newly Diagnosed

Newly Diagnosed

Hello to everyone----
    I am new to this---I found this site by searching--it seems it was a very good thing for me--

Back in November of 2016-I was found to have CA of the right breast and uterus---
    In Jan of 2017 had a mastectomy with one lymph node removed and in Feb had a hysterectomy.

I was told it was all removed , but follow-up therapy would follow---

Had 3 internal radiation treatments for the hysterectomy----got thru those relatively fine.

Last Mon 6/5, had my first of 4 chemo therapies. Taxotere and Cytoxen every 3 weeks.

I expected side effects--but they had me side lined Thurs to Sat--not to bad today, but still bothersome.

My whole body is one achy, sore being, along with all the other side effects.

I don't know how to emotionally feel--a little anger at first, but knew I was fortunate, because it was caught early.
    There has been no tears, and I don't understand that. Shouldn't I be feeling a little angry and depressed?

Anyway, this is my beginning.
    To all who are going thru this----bless you!!!

Hello msnurse74,

Welcome to the forum. You will find very supportive and kind people on here. I was going to move your post into a specific cancer area so that it would be more likely seen by those going through the same type of cancer however I am a bit unsure as to where. Do you have two primary cancers or is the a primary with mets to the other area?

One thing I have notice in my time on here is that no two people experience the same thing on this journey. Similar yes. Also often it can be a roller coaster of emotions. The fact you are not more angry or depressed is just the way you are handling it. May it stay that way for you. However you may suddenly experience an overwhelming flood of emotions....or not. My husband is one of those laid back easy going kind of people that rarely gets his feathers ruffled or is sad. You may be like him. No matter what you feel what you feel.

Bottom line seems like you have a solid handle on things and that is great! Keep it up. Still we are here to support you and answer any questions the best we can.

All the best,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Jodie--
    There were 2 sites---neither tied into the other from what I understand. It just so happened, the symptoms came on at the same time--I first found the lump on my right breast--and the vaginal bleeding started a few days after, if I remember correctly. Had a regular doctor's appointment coming up, soon, after I noted the symptoms, so I waited.

My Dr. scheduled me for a mammogram and a pelvic ultra sound---and everything went from there.

PS--thanks for your response

I am so happy to hear from you again! If only we knew how and why cancer acted like it did - we'd beat this thing back into the stone ages.

How you feeling now? Still the same? How are you filling your days? Are you still working?

Hoping everything is nothing but good news.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

A month after my last chemo--I started on letrozole 2.5--I have been very sleepy on this med--my days and nights are turned around---I am gonna switch to taking it at bedtime to see if any difference. Has anyone had the same experience? It is just so frustrating---and I really should not be complaining--considering how it all turned out for me!!!