A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Leaving the Country - New at coping

Newbie New User

Leaving the Country - New at coping

Hi all.
    I apologize if this post is in the wrong place.

I found out a few nights ago that my father has colon cancer. Now, we don't know how serious it is yet, the doctors said that they caught it early. He will be going in for surgery here in the next few weeks, and we will find out then.

5 months ago, I was given an offer for a temporary job in Europe that will start this coming Monday.
    I do not know if I will actually be needed at home with my dad, as it is expected that he will recover fully. But I feel that I am abandoning my family if I were to move and take this job. Even though it is only for 4 months, I am struggling with whether or not I should go overseas.

There is a plan that I set up in case the surgery comes with bad news, wherein I will be flying home immediately.

Am I being selfish for even considering leaving? I hands-down wouldn't go, but there is really nothing I can do for the next 3 weeks until my dad gets surgery.

Any advice/stories would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Experienced User Dead Man Walking's Avatar
    Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    Dear robotgirlsc: About the only piece of wisdom I can add was something my father taught me, and it is: "Never resolve a doubt against yourself." There will be some knowledgeable people along in here quite shortly, and seeing as bailing on the job now and a bit later will probably be viewed equally dimly by your new employers, you might as well wait until you know more. And no, you are NOT being selfish for flying out to your new job!! Especially if he is expected to make a full recovery!!
    05/6/16 2 pre-op physicals show low WBC & RBC
    05/16/16 Have BM biopsy - GULP!!
    05/22/16 [Birthday] Results are AML 22% blasts CD34 with 3:3 mutation, INTERMEDIATE risk
    05/30/16 Undergo 7-3 treatment
    06/??/16 TSHTF!! 7-3 doesn't touch AML, but knocks out immune system, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    07/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML.
    Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Wife & I move to LA, North Shore Lake Ponchatrain - Infusion center 4 minutes away.
    Protocol 15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BM biopsy shows CD34 cells 6.9% above background level.
    Three 5 week cycles of azacitidine, . Life is good. Azacitidine is minor annoyance.
    04/16/17 BM biopsy shows CD34 12% above background, cycle dropped to 4 weeks. Change regarded as minor.
    Oncologist says my run is unprecedented.

Newbie New User
    Thank you for that. I appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Experienced User Dead Man Walking's Avatar
    Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    You're welcome, and to get replies from people who know more, it would be good if you could post the exact details of the diagnosis, with the results of any tests that were used to form the diagnosis. Do that immediately, and then you can go visit the orchid garden for a break: https://www.cancerforums.net/threads...-garden-by-DMW
    05/6/16 2 pre-op physicals show low WBC & RBC
    05/16/16 Have BM biopsy - GULP!!
    05/22/16 [Birthday] Results are AML 22% blasts CD34 with 3:3 mutation, INTERMEDIATE risk
    05/30/16 Undergo 7-3 treatment
    06/??/16 TSHTF!! 7-3 doesn't touch AML, but knocks out immune system, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    07/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML.
    Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Wife & I move to LA, North Shore Lake Ponchatrain - Infusion center 4 minutes away.
    Protocol 15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BM biopsy shows CD34 cells 6.9% above background level.
    Three 5 week cycles of azacitidine, . Life is good. Azacitidine is minor annoyance.
    04/16/17 BM biopsy shows CD34 12% above background, cycle dropped to 4 weeks. Change regarded as minor.
    Oncologist says my run is unprecedented.