A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Hello there....and scared

Newbie New User

Hello there....and scared

Hi there, New here and filled with worry after just getting off the phone with the nurse who was scheduling my MRI.

I am 52 and for the last couple of years have had irregular periods. They would not come for 3 months and then would come for 5 days. They were definitely heavier too. Then I would have no period and 28 days later almost like a normal cycle that I had previously I would get a period. Then none for a couple of months and then back. I always went for my gyn appointments and the doctor just said i was in peri. I felt fine otherwise. I didnt have staining between periods, i would either have it 28 days apart or not. No staining after sex, no pain, etc. I know i did have fibroids years ago (like 16 years ago) but the doctor said it was small nothing to worry about.

My insurance recently changed and for this years check i went to see a new gyn. She said lets just take an ultrasound to check everything to see why your periods havent stopped. She called me after i was done and said that I had three fibroids, two were 2". She said that is probably the cause of the bleeding and why I havent stopped my period. But then she said they also found a thickened endometrium. She said it was hard to visualize it and it could have been the fibroid they were seeing but they wanted me to go for an MRI for better visualization and then a biopsy and then meet with the doctor. I was scared out of my mind, just hearing that. I asked her if she was thinking it was cancer. She said its always a possibility but thats to the far right right now. She said she just thinks im bleeding because of the fibroids. One thing at a time.

Trying to put it out of my mind but spending the next days googling....the nurse called me to confirm insurance. I decided to ask her what the thickness of the endometrium was and she said it was 2.1 cm. I freaked out. She said they like to see it 1 cm or under. Shes aid it was the consistency to, they just want to double check.

Thinking about what I have been reading over the last couple of days most are measured in mm and not that thick lining at all. Does a potentially 2.1 cm endometrial thickness mean cancer? I dont know what to think anymore. ANy thoughts?

Oh, also, I have been getting my periods every 28 days the last few months, if I continue with this pattern the ultrasound would have been done three days before my period is scheduled to start...which I am reading can also be when its at its thickest...though Im sure 2.1 cm is still much thicker than it should be....
    Last edited by anilom007; 06-16-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Hello anilom007,

Welcome to the forum. I am moving your thread over to the worried section as do you not have a confirmed diagnosis.

Endometriosis (thick endometrial lining) and also adenomyosis, fibroids or cysts are famous for mucking around with our periods.

An ultrasound is usually the first step. This is followed by a biopsy if there is further clarification needed. Only a biopsy can confirm a cancer diagnosis.

Yes, please for your own sake, stop googling! Dr. Google is a mortician with no medical degree. Seriously punching in a few symptoms into a computer will never replace that of your own doctor who is real and has all the actual training and specifics to your situation. All that of course makes all the difference in the world. Especially when we are talking about your health.

Stay the course with your real dr and I am sure she will find you the answers. Until then keep busy doing other things. Things you love. What better way to spend your time?

All the best,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same

I had an ablation for thick uterine wall and excessive bleeding. I have a few fibriods around the same size. All are manageable health issues. I have no treatment for the fibroids. And since the ablation I dont get a period anymore - hormonally yes. So try not to freak out or worry too much as these can be things completely unrelated to cancer!!
    Last edited by allysheedy; 06-19-2017 at 02:51 AM.

Top User
    I went through 6 months of them trying to find out what was causing my excessive bleeding. Test after test....it was exhausting. Then they finally decided a hysterectomy was in order and were surprised to find a large fibroid tumor that was "hiding" from them despite all those tests. Are they going to run more tests on you? Try not to worry though I know it's hard. Since you are menopausal, it could be just that.
    67 year old husband diagnosed with Periphial T Cell Lymphoma Feb. 2015
    5 rounds of CHOPE chemo put him into remission for 2 years....
    June 2017 Relapse....radiation planned
    Develops ITP, Low platelets....Hospitalized 3 days to be given Gamma Gloublin....discharged....gave prednisone but forgot to give scripts for that and Klonopin....results in rage from Prednisone.....second time this has happened. Had one instance of it during previous chemo.
    ITP recurs....4,000 platelets
    New Oncologist called in that specializes only in Lymphoma. He changed Al to Decradon (Sp?), a steroid. So far platelets have stayed up...173,000...Splenectomy cancelled for now.....Radiation starts every day for three weeks then chemo if platelets stay up. If not, splenectomy.
    Also caregiver to our 40 year old son who had a benign ependymoma tumor removed when he was 14 years old. 6 brain surgeries.
    Thank you God for all your blessings! 🙏❤️🙏