A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My dad has skin cancer and no money. What do I do?

Newbie New User

My dad has skin cancer and no money. What do I do?

My dad was diagnosed with skin cancer a few years back but he had it for a long time, it took a different family member going to the ER for the doctors to basically force him to get the hole in his face checked out. Since then he has lost an eye, his car, and has to live in the most disgusting house I have ever stepped foot in with the most conflict driven people I have ever met. Being a early twenty something year old female who doesn't work due to a mental disorder I have no idea how to help him but seeing him in that situation is ripping my heart out and I don't know what to do. I want to give him money but I have a good $2.35 to my name. Just looking for a little advice and to vent a little bit. Any information helps. Also he is tech challenged so anything involving technology and him just is not going to work.

Thanks in advanced for any feedback.

Experienced User Dead Man Walking's Avatar
    Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    Dear Kace: My heart goes out to you in your current situation, but seeing as you have no money whatsoever, your own mental disorder to deal with, and a totally uncooperative father, I don't see that you have any options open to you. If you can stand the other inmates of this rotting crash pad, you can spend some time with him knowing in your own heart that these are his final days, and perhaps get some peace out of that. If you cannot do that, then I would advise that you simply adopt the attitude that he has slipped into a coma, even though the facts may not totally support that viewpoint, and seek some peace for YOURSELF. If your dad has chosen to go out the hard way in a disgusting hovel, then he is beyond your reach just as surely as if he were in a descending fugue coma, so just "let go" and save yourself. To repeat, it IS true that he is completely beyond your reach at this point, so try to find some peace for yourself in this situation. The man that you loved years ago is already dead and gone, and what's left is simply an empty husk, and you need to accept this fact to get free of this very toxic situation. I pray that you can find some peace in a relatively short time, and from the sound of it this can't go on very long at all.

DMW
    05/6/16 2 pre-op physicals show low WBC & RBC
    05/16/16 Have BM biopsy - GULP!!
    05/22/16 [Birthday] Results are AML 22% blasts CD34 with 3:3 mutation, INTERMEDIATE risk
    05/30/16 Undergo 7-3 treatment
    06/??/16 TSHTF!! 7-3 doesn't touch AML, but knocks out immune system, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    07/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML.
    Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Wife & I move to LA, North Shore Lake Ponchatrain - Infusion center 4 minutes away.
    Protocol 15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BM biopsy shows CD34 cells 6.9% above background level.
    Three 5 week cycles of azacitidine, . Life is good. Azacitidine is minor annoyance.
    04/16/17 BM biopsy shows CD34 12% above background, cycle dropped to 4 weeks. Change regarded as minor.
    Oncologist says my run is unprecedented.

Top User
    I would suggest talking to a social worker at a hospital AND financial assistance at a hospital.
    Husband has PTCL-NOS......5 rounds of CHOPE chemo. April 27....6 month check up shows NED at this point. No,scans suggested at this time. We are very happy and pray for continued blessings.

We also have a son, our only child,who was found to have an ependymoma tumor when he was 17. He is now 40 years old and married. He's had 6 brain surgeries, to remove the benign tumor and to try to get the seizure activity which was impossible. He was enrolled in a clinical study to have an experimental neurotransmitter placed. He recently had to have the battery replaced after 6 years. He has not had a seizure in 11 years so far and we are so grateful to God.
    When I am afraid I put my trust in you. Psalms 53:6

"Hope” is the thing with feathers –
    That perches in the soul
    And sings the tune without the words –
    And never stops – at all –
    Emily Dickinson