A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diagnosed with lung cancer after remission from Hodgkins

Newbie New User
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for your messages. I read them, but given the surgery and all I didn't have much time to answer and thank you for the support.

I had once again tried to postpone my surgery due to a big project for our agency, my boss/friend again insisted and practically dragged me to reschedule and so I did, and I had my surgery on the 6th.

I didn't stop smoking before, I was too stressed for that. I was a total mess!
    The surgery went well, as I understand they took out the upper part of my left lobe, and there were no tumors on the lymph nodes or the surrounding area.
    After the surgery I was very drowsy and in a lot of pain! I practically believed you when you said the pain was bearable but I think I'm just a coward or something.

I couldn't sleep at all, but at the same time I dozed off a lot because of the pain medicine and sometimes the pain.

I refused to receive any visitors and was stuck in that room with my mother and brother who could occasionally visit, and I stayed there for a little over a week.

The surgery went well, and physically I was OK (except the pain, which I eventually got used to). The chest tubes were the most uncomfortable, and I expected a lot of pain when they were removed, but I was mostly just relieved and felt a lot of pressure going away.

I got back to work today. Still feel tired all the time, and in a lot of pain (I stopped taking my pain medication, I'm a person who's very keen to addiction and especially pills, so don't wanna risk it). I don't want to be a burden at the office, I want to contribute, help and take back my responsibilities, but it feels sometimes like I'm failing myself more than I am failing them.

I was prescribed a round of chemo with 3 sessions over 2 months. I did the first one after I got out of the hospital, and the second session is scheduled for next week.

I'm not sure if three sessions with small doses will make my hair fall, and what would be the extent of the side effects...

Again I'm ranting, and saying everything and anything... I am sorry

I want to thank you a lot for everything. I couldn't talk to a lot of people about this. I don't like people knowing I'm ill, so I mostly say right now that I am having very bad back days.

Again I'm ranting...

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Thank you for updating your thread Fleetwood and sorry you are experiencing some discomfort. It is to be expected since you had surgery but slowly but surely, you will get back to your old self. Surgery alone is probably the cause of your fatigue so again, you should, in time, feel better with each passing day.

Now, chemo, that does come with side effects. Some people experience some difficulties while others, minimal. Do you know what chemo agents they will be using? Some more than others are prone to hair loss but certainly, if you can provide further details, of course we can help to answer any questions you have.

Take each day at a time and look at the things you are able to accomplish at this point not the things you aren't accomplishing. Take those strides to help move yourself forward.

Thinking of you and keep doing what you are doing.

Lisa

Newbie New User
    Hello lovely people,

Thank you again for your support Lisa!

As you may have previously read, in this country the doctors don't think they owe you any explanation, which makes understanding what you're going through much harder. As far as I understand, for my chemo I was prescribed cisplatin 60mg/m˛ through IV, there was a mention of etoposide as well, but I think they're only using one agent as it is more for prevention than actual treatment. Let me know what you know about this please if you have any info!

For the pain and discomfort it feels way better now. I started doing more frequent walks and I think I'll be getting back to Yoga soon. I started doing meditation again, so I think it's helping. I'm taking work slowly, only checking on the office once every two days and only for a couple of hours. It passes for my walk.

I'm feeling mentally way better, and I think that shows in how I'm writing

Thank you all again for the support

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Fleetwood:

You do sound like you are doing much better! I am happy to read that things are improving for you and with each passing day, you are regaining strength and on the path to once again, enjoying life to the fullest without obstacles.

As far as the chemo agents used, since I am not medically qualified, I believe there may not be a big difference with our without the etoposide in your case as your surgery was successful with clear margins. However, another one of the members who may be more familiar will chime in when they are available and see your post. When it comes to doctors in general, they tend to speak in medical terminology format and not layman's terms which most people can understand. It is up to the patient to ask them to "hold up" when speaking if they are getting too far ahead and the terminology is confusing. Ask your physician to explain in terms you can understand. He/She may not like that but it is about you. Be that advocate or the medical center may have a PA or counseling services you can help with the medical lingo.

Keep us posted Fleetwood and thank you for updating us.

Lisa

Senior User
    Hey Fleetwood!
    (I had a Fleetwood truck once..It was a real workhorse.)

I am so glad that you have weathered recent events and are now on the mend.
    Hang is there and please keep us informed of your progress.

regards, zim

Hi Fleetwood,

Hope the pain is getting better and you are doing ok. I am so amazed how strong you are back at work and everything already!

My hubby was on cisplatin and etoposide together at the same time. Pretty heavy doses but he was also stage 3b. They are very effective but not without side effects of course. And that varies from person to person. Make sure you advise your drs how you are doing on the cisplatin.

Take care and try not to over do it ok?
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Regular User
    I very much doubt it was the smoking. You are very, very young - too young in my opinion for that to even be a contributing factor.

No one knows why young people develop Cancer. And for you to develop two different types at different times in your young life is even more rare in the general population.

I am glad you are doing well after surgery.