A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Newbie

Newbie New User

Hi I'm new. I'm 52 and I have just been diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia and adenocarcinoma uterine cancer grade 1. I have my first oncology appointment on 7/17.

I'm trying my best to stay strong and positive and reassuring to my friends and family. I can't sleep. My best friend in the world - instead of being supportive struck out at me in anger and started pulling out all of these old resentments. I feel like it's a weird defense mechanism but I don't know what to do with it. I feel like I should be allowed to be a little self centered right now but instead I'm scrambling to make sure everyone else is okay. It's emotionally draining.

I have questions. I know I can ask the oncologist but that seems so far away. I thought if I left them here someone who has gone through this could help me.

I'm fatigued. To my very core. I walk from the parking lot to my office building and I need to rest. Is that normal? Why? Cancer is just mutated cells so why am I so drained? Even before my diagnosis it was like that. I knew there was something really wrong with me but didn't know what.

Should I be taking supplements? Should I go on a massive diet to lose weight before the surgery? (I'm obese)

How do I come to terms with the fact that I probably caused this by not taking care of myself better despite my family history. I have known for a long time that I checked all the boxes but I didn't change my behaviors.

How do I swallow my pride and allow friends and family to come and help me cook and clean and change my bandages when I'm the caregiver?

A co worker told me I should increase my fluid intake but she didn't know why. Is that a thing?

What's the difference between stage and grade?

A lady at work told me that all of my organs will shift after the surgery because of the hysterectomy. Is that an old wives tale?

I'm so tired but I can't shut off my mind tonight or this morning now I guess. I just keep thinking of more things. I've tried meditating but I can't relax enough. I just have to wait until I'm exhausted and I crash.

Well thanks in advance. Glad I found this place. Now I'm going to go read some of the posts.

Dear Breezy,

I am hoping you are resting now and will see this after. Welcome to the forum. Although I am sorry for the reasons that brought you here, this is a very informative and supportive site and hope you feel the same after browsing around and using it.

You ask very good questions and I hope I can answer some and that other members will chime in with their thoughts. This area tend to be quiet but there are active members ready to reach out to new members anytime. Please note though we are not drs but patients and caregivers sharing our thoughts and experiences from our own journeys - they will never replace the medical knowledge of your dr.

Fatigued - honestly I think this is a combination of the cancer and stress of it all. Cancer can cause fatigue. It is a common symptom however then add stress from learning that diagnosis? Stress can do a real number to your body. Double whammie.

Supplements - this only a dr can comment on. Some supplements are actually known to counteract chemo treatments and therefore make it less effective. If you mean to just plain eat healthy now and get physical exercise - I see no issue only benefit to you.

Coming to terms with diagnosis and why - You need to stop this thinking Breezy. Although many cancer patients do think it after a diagnosis (it is natural to wonder what role you might have played in getting it), you need to let this go. We do not fully understand how cancer works, why it acts the way it does, why this person and not this person in all cases. If we did we could beat it to a friggin pulp and then some. Ask your dr this. I know they will say the same. Who knows for sure why you got it. So stop this thinking and instead focus on beating it and your future!

Swallowing pride - You just do . Again, going to say get over it. LOL like how I am I a straight shooter and just say it like it is? Trust me, you will understand if you have surgery and/or chemo/radiation.

Increasing fluid intake - If you have chemo water intake is extremely important. Maybe she she heard something about this.

What's the difference between stage and grade? Borrowed this from the Canadian Cancer Society as I like how they explain it and I am Canadian - Staging is a way of describing or classifying a cancer based on the extent of cancer in the body. The stage is often based on the size of the tumour, whether the cancer has spread (metastasized) from where it started to other parts of the body and where it has spread. Stages are based on specific factors for each type of cancer.

Grading is a way of classifying cancer cells. The pathologist
    pathologist
    1. The study of disease, including causes, development and effects on the body. 2. The symptoms, processes or conditions of a disease. gives the cancer a grade based on how different they look from normal cells (differentiation), how quickly they are growing and dividing, and how likely they are to spread. Doctors sometimes use the grade of the cancer to figure out how slowly or quickly the cancer may be growing.

Different staging and grading systems are used for different cancers. Some types of cancer do not have a specific staging or grading system.

The doctor uses the stage and grade of the cancer, as well as other factors, to help plan treatment, estimate how the cancer might respond to treatment and give a prognosis (the expected outcome or course of a disease).

Read more: http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-infor...#ixzz4l2Nx0hUd

Organs will shifting - No they do but they do not go changing zip codes either. Your uterus is not that big. I never noticed any difference.

As for your best best friend, I am sorry this happened. I think you are right about it being a defense mechanism. I think I would just leave it be for now and yes focus on you. You do have that right.

I hope have helped here. Keep us posted on how things go ok?

All the best.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Thank you so much for the welcome and your thoughtful answers. It was a beautiful day here in St Louis Missouri so I spent it sitting on the patio with my family and eating my mom's great food. I'm home now - tired and satiated and ready for a quiet evening and early to bed. Thanks again.

Just checking in Breezy. Hoping all is well.
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    It's been a crazy few months. So it turns out that being morbidly obese means that I have to live with cancer in my body for a while while I lose weight. I'm taking Megace and will be monitored every three months while I eat healthy and work out. Once I've dropped a sufficient amount of weight (will be evaluated) they will do the hysterectomy and lymph node removal. I'm sad that I'm at this place in my life but I'm dealing with it. 14 pounds down in four weeks. That's a pretty good start.

Top User
    Yes, it is a good start, Breezy! You should be proud of yourself! Don't worry about swallowing your pride and letting friends and family helping you. You will need it if they offer. I would have given anything for my family and friends to have cared and offered. I was caregiver to my husband. I was so exhausted. I finally swallowed my pride and ASKED for help.....promises but no help. My best friend told me she would help IF I asked. I told her no way, that if she really wanted to help she would be here WITHOUT me asking. She never showed up.
    If your family and friends WANT to help, that's a blessing, believe me.
    I learned to do it all myself with a little bit if help from my son who was traveling a lot. I sure could have used more help but it did teach me to be stronger then I ever thought I could be.
    So take them up on their offers. It shows they love and care about you!
    I think my friends thought everyone else was helping me. My BFF of over 50 years is no longer my BFF. No one ever even calls me. If I see them when I'm running errands I get " HOW is Al"? I tell them "Fine" and say I'm in a hurry because I really am.
    Luckily, my son and DIL help a lot more. It's such a blessing.
    I had a hysterectomy because of fibroids. If they let you get out of bed with their and walk, be sure to do it. But don't do it on your own until they say you can. Besid my hysterectomy I also had a previous C-section. They also got me up,asap ,and although it was not easy, I did it. Pretty soon, when they said I could, I was cautiously walking on my own holding onto the rail in the hall. There were other women who refused to get out if bed and cried and yelled when made to. But I was discharged much earlier then them because walking was so important.
    I'm not sure if they will get you up right away since it is for a different reason me. Just make sure they do what they tell you. Best Wishes!
    67 year old husband diagnosed with Periphial T Cell Lymphoma Feb. 2015
    5 rounds of CHOPE chemo put him into remission for 2 years....
    June 2017 Relapse....radiation planned
    Develops ITP, Low platelets....Hospitalized 3 days to be given Gamma Gloublin....discharged....gave prednisone but forgot to give scripts for that and Klonopin....results in steroid psychosis from Prednisone.....second time this has happened. Had one instance of it during previous chemo.
    ITP recurs....4,000 platelets
    Al had spleen removed Sept. 25. It went well. Platelets up to 100,000but since he was given platelets the day before and during surgery the dr. wants to give it a few more days to see if platelets keep rising. Still in hospital. Good attitude. Grateful to God!
    Also caregiver to our 40 year old son who had a benign ependymoma tumor removed when he was 14 years old. 6 brain surgeries.
    Thank you God for all your blessings! 🙏❤️🙏

Hi Breezy,
    You have made an excellent start. You wanna hear a strange way to how I lost weight? I took up cross stitching. Hard for me to snack at night when my hands were busy. Not eating all day then snacking all night was my problem. That and lemon water because i hate the taste of just plain water. You will find your groove as you already seem to and things will happen. You will see. Also sending you a private message so look for the Notifications box in the top right hand side of the page to light up ok?
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto