A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for treatment

Senior User

Getting ready for treatment

Several months ago I was diagnosed with lung cancer. The day of my diagnosis, my lung collapsed from a lung biopsy preformed several days previous. I ended up in two hospitals for a total of five and a half weeks. Since being home, I have had several more tests, lymph node biospy, breathing function and 2nd PET scan since so much time has gone by since my first scan. It was decided that my treatment will be radiation as my cancer is small and I am not a candidate for lung surgery after my lung collapse. I go this week for staging and then hopefully soon after my treatment can begin. Of course, at times I am scared, confused, anxious but also thankful that right now my cancer seems to be manageable.
    I have been reading this forum, threads for a few days now and it is so helpful, encouraging, and comforting. Even though my family is 100 per cent behind me in this cancer journey, it is hard sometimes to say to them "I'm depressed or scared etc. " It' s more important for me to be brave for them I think.
    I wanted to say THANK YOU for providing a place to go to, it'seems already helped me alot.
    Last edited by LLC; 06-28-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Hi LLC

I have moved your thread over here to the Lung forum so you can join the rest of the gang here. Welcome. You will find a very support group here. I am sorry you had to look us up though.

Seems like you had a bit of a rough start but things are starting to get going again with treatment being lined up. Sorry just to clarify - do you have small cell or non small cell?

Yes I too found it great to have a "safe" place to be able to say what ever I needed to and just "let my hair down." I am so happy to hear you have already found this place helpful. PLease stop by often and let us know how you are doing and if you have any questions fire away and we will do our best to answer.

All the best and hang in there,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Senior User
    I have non small cell. The mass in my left lung is 3.5 x 2.7 cm. I also have a right lobe nodule that can't be biopsied because of my left lung collapsing so my right lung will get radiation also. I don' t know if the side effects will be double getting both lungs hit with radiation but it okay. I honestly don't know a whole of alot about lung cancer or any cancer and sometimes the doctors give too much information too fast. I'm trying not to look too much up on the Internet as it can get confusing and scary. By reading these different threads it is reassuring to see I've taken the same tests, experienced the same questions, feelings, etc. as everyone else.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello LLC and welcome to the forum and good to know that by reading some of the threads here, it has provided some comfort and understanding about your diagnosis. I am sure as you move forward, you will have many more questions and of course, we will help answer them to the best of our ability.

It is important to understand the treatment that is before you but there still needs to be some additional testing done as you indicated. I would keep a notebook handy and write down your questions for your doctor as they come to mind. Sometimes when actually sitting in front of the doctor, one tends to forget the questions they wanted to ask. If your doctor is talking too quickly or you are not understanding what exactly they mean, then of course, tell them to slow down and explain in terms you will understand not in medical lingo which can be very confusing.

The folks here are very supportive and have a unique understanding on how you are feeling. While the strength of your family will help, we too are a good tool for resource on your diagnosis.

Stay the course and please feel free to post anytime.

Lisa

Senior User
    HI LLC,

I also welcome you; although, we all know that joining a cancer forum kinda sucks.
    A collapsed lung is a real pain in the “Chest”. I’ve been there and although I was out of there the next day, I walked on egg shells for a month or two.

This is a great place to rant, scream, and let your hair down. I’ve never seen any judgments here. So let it fly.

Jodie (who I referred to as Judy the other day; e.g., getting older, I am, I am!) and Lisa, along with Mike b. are mainstays here and give sage advice. From your post, it appears that you have a good team working on putting you right. Lisa’s correct in saying its OK to say; “Slow down and explain that more simply.” I’ve got 3 steno pads full of old questions, notes and what ifs?.

Doctors are people and; thus, are all different. I’ve been lucky in that I’ve managed to develop a good relationship with all my doc’s. Some Doctors are really standoffish and only speak in “doctor”. You can also run into the doctor that treats you like a child, which is equally as bad. (Linda, my wife and caregiver, told one ONC; “you may find this surprising, but I’ll match you IQ for IQ, so enough with the soft soap.”) She is a pistol and really does have a very high IQ.

For me, the hardest part of dealing with NSCLC has been making sure that my caregiver (wife) and family aren’t overly burdened with my illness. I hope that you have sound family support and an understanding caregiver.

regards,
    zim

LLC,

Lisa and Zim (I forgive ya buddy) have provided excellent suggestions. I highly recommend writing down your questions myself as well.

As a caregiver myself, yes, it can be a hard job but teamwork, patient and a team of caregivers with open communication is the key. I will swear to this.

Let us know how we can help anytime.

Have an awesome night.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Senior User
    Hi everyone! It is nice to meet you all and am looking forward to being friends for a long, long time. Hope eventually, I can help you all as much as you have already helped me. Today, I had the staging meeting as a prelude to radiation treatments. Didn' t get to talk to doctor ( and I had my questions all written down and ready to ask!!!!!) but was told I would get to talk to doctor at my first treatment which has yet to be scheduled. Initially the doctor said I would start out with 3 or 4 treatment every other day. So, we will see if that remains the plan. I am sure I will have a lot of questions, thoughts once treatment starts, so THANKS in advance.

Senior User
    Zim, just wanted to say I know what you mean about walking on eggshells after lung collapse. I have been told radiation won't cause another lung collapse but it is always in the back of my mind that for whatever reason my lung could collapsed again. My name is the same as you wife, Linda! I, too, don't want my family to be overly burdened by my illness. My 3 kids (adults) and husband were ( and probably still are) devastating by this but they are all dealing with it and very, very supportive.

Senior User
    Zim, just wanted to say, I know what you mean about walking on eggshells after lung collapse. It is always in the back of my mind that it will happen again. My name is Linda, too!
    Last edited by LLC; 06-29-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Senior User

Two days untill treatment

Start radiation treatments in two days! It took so long to get here, as you all know, as we are all aware of tests and waiting for results and treatment planning. Since one lung definetly has cancer and the other lung has a small nodule which can't be biopsied I will be getting radiation to both lungs. Will I have twice the side effects? Any things I should be doing while having radiation ( food wise, etc.)?
    Hope everyone is doing good, my thoughts are with you all as we share this journey.