A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried I have leukaemia

Newbie New User

Worried I have leukaemia

Hi guys hope you can help, my white blood count is 12000 and has been taken again yesterday so I'm waiting for results. I work for the ambulance service and a friend says it's a sign of leukaemia which has me worried sick, I'm 37 with a 2 year old boy I want to see grow up!! Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Some friend! Elevated white cell counts almost always point to infection. WBC is only a single measure of blood. There are many other factors to measure which can help to narrow down the cause. Why was your blood drawn?

Newbie New User
    I thought I had diabetes as I was shattered especially after meals, I've been eating better and lost some weight and haven't got diabetes. They repeated my bloods yesterday to check the white blood count. My mother had cervical cancer and died at 30 so that's why I've been really worried

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    White cell count alone only means that your immune system has been activated to fight some unknown pathogen (infection), or possibly that your bone marrow may be acting up for some reason. Further testing is needed.

Regular User
    I thought elevated white count was sign of infection. Well I think there are a few things that can cause it. Even stress and smoking can. I don't think 12000 is really that much elevated. Mine is almost always elevated every time time a CBC is done and has been like that for years n years. I do not have luekima and never have. 3 weeks ago I had blood work to check something else and it was 14000.
    I wouldn't think leukemia based just on an elevated white count..

<--------- What PO18guy said!! Your white cell count doesn't mean diddly squat. Leukemia is a disease where your body starts making flawed genetic copies of the white cells, and if that happens THEN you are in deep doo-doo. For example, my diagnosis is CD34 with T(3:3) "short arm" mutation. You need a bone marrow biopsy, which isn't a big deal, to PROVE that you actually have leukemia. The house rules in here are that you don't have cancer unless you have a clinical diagnosis PROVING you do. Leukemia is also quite rare, compared to a "popular" form like prostate cancer, which everybody and their dog has... So quit listening to poorly informed "friend" who doesn't know the difference between leukemia and a Depends with a full load on board, to put it politely. Come to think of it, a soiled Depends is probably the ONLY thing that your "friend" IS qualified to diagnose. So relax, find out what your immune system is objecting to, and leave it at that unless your doctor says otherwise.

P.S.: My AML, which turned out to refractory (terminal), was only caught by a pre-op physical for a full knee replacement, and my white cell count was just barely LOW enough to make the doctor look keep looking for a cause. If it hadn't been a pre-op physical for MAJOR surgery, nobody would have given that score a 2nd thought.
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; 06-28-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows blasts 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective
    12/4/17 Diagnosis: Uncontrolled refractory AML

Newbie New User
    Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it, I'll let you know tomorrow but thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me x

Newbie Regular User
    Its only when abnormally high should one be concerned. For example; I had a severe sore throat for weeks. So bad I couldn't swallow. Then one morning I woke up with blood covering the inside of my mouth. I went to the ER and they tested my blood. My white count was 50,000. They said it was the highest they've ever seen. Then they told me I need to see my PCP which I did. He sent me to a Leukemia guy who did a bone marrow biopsy (with no pain killers the jerk). The next day he told me I had acute leukemia.

So an abnormally high (not simply high) white count means to see your PCP.

By the way. Get a new friend or slap the one that told you that.

Quote Originally Posted by PmbPhy View Post
    Its only when abnormally high should one be concerned. For example; I had a severe sore throat for weeks. So bad I couldn't swallow. Then one morning I woke up with blood covering the inside of my mouth. I went to the ER and they tested my blood. My white count was 50,000. They said it was the highest they've ever seen. Then they told me I need to see my PCP which I did. He sent me to a Leukemia guy who did a bone marrow biopsy (with no pain killers the jerk). The next day he told me I had acute leukemia.

So an abnormally high (not simply high) white count means to see your PCP.

By the way. Get a new friend or slap the one that told you that.
    The only reason I am replying is that your OPINION listed in red above is in direct conflict with my signed and sealed diagnosis of refractory (terminal) AML, straight up. You can look at my signature to see the details. Apparently you skipped over my post, because I already stated this information there.

My only concern is that the flawed information in this thread is pointed out, so that future readers don't get misinformation that causes them great emotional stress and sorrow.
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows blasts 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective
    12/4/17 Diagnosis: Uncontrolled refractory AML

Newbie Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
    The only reason I am replying is that your OPINION listed in red above is in direct conflict with my signed and sealed diagnosis of refractory (terminal) AML, straight up. You can look at my signature to see the details. Apparently you skipped over my post, because I already stated this information there.

I didn't ignore it. I was addressing when one should be concerned with a high white count, i.e. when its abnormally high. The convers need not be true. Just because you white count isn't high it can't be taken to mean that you don't have Leukemia. Sorry if that was confusing.