A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Eat & keeping weight on during chemo

Newbie New User

Eat & keeping weight on during chemo

Hello all;
    I've always had a very good appetite. Kept up with a guy in his twenties, I was 54 at the time.
    Anyway, I used to do some body building. Nothing great, just bulked up some. Everybody who works out, and many others know about whey protein.
    There is another called Casein Protein. Whey is fast digested, gets into your system in about 40 minutes. Casein is slow & stays in your gut for about 7 hours.
    On days when my appetite was down and I couldn't eat because of nausea etc I made a Casein shake. I'd sip on it through the day. Vanilla Casein flavored up with a scoop of ice cream & a banana or other fruit of choice.

After dropping some weight is when I started the Casein. Doc was surprised when I actually gained some weight back. He asked what I was doing. It worked because when you're body needs nutrition and you don't feed it. It'll consume muscle and fat. (Muscle is actually an easier conversion to energy then fat so when your body is 'starving' or hungry for energy you loose proportionally more muscle then fat.)
    If you have something in your gut, food or in this case casein, your body will go for that before consuming it's self.

I know what your thinking, Cancer likes sugar so why add sweet ice cream. Why not yogurt? 1st I, rather my wife, read the labels and found that frozen Yogurt actually has more sugar. She shopped for the lowest sugar content ice cream. 2nd; On days where all I had was the casein protein shake... Didn't really worry about a scoop or two of ice cream. (Never more then two though.) Yea, I watched my sugar intake. reduce to pretty much zero. But I've always believed in a 90% rule. Whatever your goal if you're following your regiment to a 90% level 90% of the time. 10% isn't cheating. It's living. It's not even cheating if you drop below 90%. Staying below 90% is falling off your regiment. Keep it real, 90% and you'll live life with success.
    I wish all luck with your fight. I got lucky and won for now. NHL will likely return. it's considered treatable but not curable. Either way, I'm here now and alive. So are you.

Fight for life and don't forget to live during the battle.
    Best of luck to all.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    The caveat here is that all human cells, normal and malignant, absolutely require sugar as a fuel. We are designed that way. Your stored body fat becomes blood sugar when needed. Less dietary sugar is probably good, but you cannot eliminate it, or your body will begin to consume itself in the sugar conversion process. The debate rages over types of sugar, and there may be some credibility there. But, this type of reasoning also goes for the alkaline water bunch. Your body, as with sugar, maintains a necessary balance of alkaline to acid for normal cell division. Go outside of that and good cells start dying off - cells that form your organs and immune system. Oh, some cancer cells die too, but isn't that simply replicating chemotherapy, but with only a guarantee of ill health ahead?
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.