A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: New: Endo Cancer Treatment

Newbie New User

New: Endo Cancer Treatment

Hi All,

I have recently received the pathology back for my Endometriall cancer. I'm Stage 3, Grade 3 (with the caveat that the only cancer cells they found outside my uterus was microscopic amounts in 1 of 17 lymph nodes that were removed). Otherwise, the cancer was 50% through my myometrium and that's it (although that's more than enough).

My understanding is that I will have "sandwich" therapy. 2 or so chemo treatments, 5-6 weeks of radiation and then 12 more weeks of chemo.

I'm wondering if anyone is able to comment on what the experience of chemo and radiation. I'm also Interested in hearing if anyone has had a similar diagnosis and the treatment they received.

I'm 50 years old, and I have mild lupus. Before cancer the lupus was in remission and I was otherwise healthy and fit. I'm told that I have 50% + cure prognosis (that it's officially 50% but probably higher because I don't have any nodes etc outside of the uterus).

I would welcome any insight, comments and suggestions anyone here has to share.

Thanks!
    Shazza301

Welcome to the forum Shazza301. Sorry I did not respond sooner.

I will let other members here speak to how specifically chemo and radiation in this area affects a person. Each person it does vary,sometimes greatly but hearing other stories helps one prepare right?

In general chemo often brings on fatigue and weakness. It is crucial to ensure you stay hydrated . Many recommend taking a blanket to treatment as it can make you also feel cold. Nausea of course everyone wonders about. There are many new medications to fight this and many do very well but unfortunately some do not. Chemo Brain might be something you hear about. It is fuzziness, inability to concentrate, forgetfulness, etc due to the chemo. Not all get it. If you do, be kind to yourself and know it will improve but you need to give it time.

Oh how are you getting to chemo appointments? I ask as another possible side effect is ...well I just call it drunkenness. Happened to my hubby. He certainly wasn't safe to drive after treatment as he was acting like he was almost drunk.

Radiation also brings on fatigue. It is important to remember radiation is accumulative and it continues to work long after treatment is done. So expect side effects to continue even after treatment is done and a longer recovery period after.

Recovery from treatment in general again varies on each person. Some see improvements and recover quickly, others it takes months. With you having lupus I would be gentle on yourself and give yourself more time. My Gramma has it too so i understand a little.

Do you have family and/or friend to help you while going through treatment? It is very important to have help and not overdo it. If you do not have have be sure to talk to the social worker of your treatment facility about resources available to you.

I hope I have helped here. This is what i could think of on just one cup of coffee so far this morning

Please ask more questions and keep us posted. We are here to help the best we can.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED