A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Epidural for hysterectomy?

Newbie New User

Epidural for hysterectomy?

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I hope you can help me. 10 months ago my husband passed away very suddenly with a heart attack. 3 months ago I lost my mum and I am now dealing with suspected ovarian cancer. Understandably my head is pickled but I'm trying to remain positive. It's all such a shock. I had none of the classic symptoms at all. I only went to the Dr as over a weekend my leg had swollen. After ruling out a blood clot they did the CA 125 test which came back with a high reading. Ultrasound showed a cyst on my ovary and it appears to have spread to my lymph nodes (causing the swollen leg) I still can't quite take it all on. My hysterectomy is scheduled for 1st August . I saw the anaesthetist today and he said I have the option of having an epidural as well as a general anaesthetic. Anyone out there done this ? I understand it's to help with pain relief but I'm not sure I want another invasive procedure and it course it has its own risks. I'd really appreciate any information info or advice. Best wishes to you all. J

Hi Janice,

So sorry, I did not see your post right away. First off I am so sorry or the sudden loss of your husband and mother. My thoughts are with you.

I have moved your post to the Worried section as you do not have a confirmed diagnosis of cancer and may you never have. A high CA-125 does not mean cancer, only a higher possible risk. Only a biopsy can confirm cancer.

I am not really able to personally comment on your question as I have never have an epidural. I have had a hysterectomy though. The surgery went very well. Others on here may be able to comment but we are all just patients and caregivers not medical professions so please keep that in mind. We are happy to share our experiences and stories though.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery with your surgery!

Jodie.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Regular User
    I had to edit my post because I mis read that you had the option of having an epidural in addition to the anaesthesia, I mis read and thought it said one or the other, sorry for that. I have never had both at the same time.. I have had a few epidurals for surgery but they were for C-Sections. They provided excellent pain relief for that.

I hope everything turns out okay for you.

I hope that helps some ♡
    Last edited by Careful1; 07-16-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Janice,

I've got the wrong plumbing to have any experience with a hysterectomy, but I noticed your anesthesiologist mentioned an epidural AND anesthesia. I had both when I had my Whipple. My surgery was quite extensive (11 hours), so by using the two in combination, they were able to reduce the general anesthesia somewhat which reduced that risk. The plan for me was to leave the epidural catheter in place for several days after surgery while hospitalized. The epidural was connected to a medication pump, and I was able to push a button whenever I needed pain control. As I changed how often I needed to push the button they went to milder and milder medication. It was taken out on day four when I could go to oral pain meds.

I don't know if this applies at all to your situation, but hope it helps.

Best wishes to you,

Bob
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.

Experienced User
    Hi Janice, I had just this scenario recently when I had my ovary removed in April. When I arrived for the surgery I remember them asking me to sit on the gurney and round my back and the next thing I know I'm in recovery room. So did not feel giving me the epidural, but perhaps the oral drugs they gave me helped it along. As Bob mentioned you will be connected to pain medications, but I did not control the amount of meds. I could not feel the my midsection of my body. For the pain relief I was happy, but for me it affected my blood pressure and I was so nauseated so we took it off Day 2 after surgery. I have another surgery planned for Aug 16th and this time I won't do the epidural. I believe everyone reacts differently, but I wanted to share my experience.

Good luck with your surgery, take care of yourself and be well.