A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do only certain cancers produce at the same time? Likelihood of...

Newbie New User

Do only certain cancers produce at the same time? Likelihood of...

Greetings!
    I was in a different forum for cancer, but found that certain people posted continuously to everyone and were quite emphatic, tore apart a post, and didn't offer constructive (or supportive) feedback. SO...I'm not saying I may say something that is wrong or offensive or seem to be presumptive, but simply: Please think about what I may be trying to say and respond to that...thank you. I also do not know if this is the correct forum so I guess the post will be moved if need be...

So, I have had some pains in my lower back, for a very, very long time. I just thought it was me getting older, or maybe that I was out of shape...until I had MORE pain after running on the treadmill at the gym. It's lower back and then around the hips, sort of, and it's like an unclosed bracelet: doesn't hit the front or groin area at all. However, I kept going to the gym anyway because of diet and exercise . It doesn't sometimes hurt or hurt when I do X....I notice it from morning to night.

About 9 months ago I started having some issues with a breast. I researched extensively and while traditional medical websites stated pain was not associated with BC, many anecdotal reports state otherwise, for those who it related to. I don't believe that retrospectively there was pain...after DX. I believe that people had pain, but were consistently dismissed, and after all the protocols and a DX, they came to understand that the pain was precisely where the cancer was: I don't call that retrospective association. Anyway, I continued to develop more potential issues so that I finally broke down and saw my GYN, who is new to me, and frankly he said all the things others said they say to my concerns. Fine. I am getting a 3D mammo tomorrow, but have the feeling that the results won't come in until a week or so, rather than immediately. Again, fine.

My question is: would there be any potential way that any cancer can tie in from those two areas?

This is not completely unfounded. Cancers run in my family. You name it, and it's probably surfaced: colon, stomach, breast, bone, blood.....and I've been completely immature about it all, thinking that because I know more it won't/can't happen to me. So, no need to cover that; I'm good . Thing is: Where do I begin? Aside from the female stuff, I simply want to get some analysis or review or I dunno, testing? Can I request that? I'm def not paranoid, just concerned. I'm 44, F, and have had 5 pregnancies: all sections, all BF kiddos.....the pain is not where the epidural was given, either. it's lower than that..."could be" muscular, but had dr administered PT, and with exercises, the pain never really went away.

Thanks to whomever can provide some feedback.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello and sorry you felt the other cancer sites you visited were not sympathetic to your concerns. I am not sure what we can say to you here that may alleviate your worries. Only a doctor can figure out the cause of your pain by way of further testing and going through the diagnosis process that he/she feels is required.

Have you looked into an orthopedic for your back pain? I only say this as my son, very athletic, had a bulged disc which caused immeasurable pain radiating from his back along the nerve line to the front just above his navel. I took several doctors, several tests to determine the cause. Be know means am I saying this is the case with you just showing that there is a process that must be followed.

Googling is never a good option unless you have definitively been diagnosed and only then it may be helpful in seeking out treatment options, etc.

Good luck to you but do follow the course of action suggested to you by a qualified, educated professional physician.

Lisa

So, I have had some pains in my lower back, for a very, very long time. I just thought it was me getting older, or maybe that I was out of shape...until I had MORE pain after running on the treadmill at the gym. It's lower back and then around the hips, sort of, and it's like an unclosed bracelet: doesn't hit the front or groin area at all. However, I kept going to the gym anyway because of diet and exercise . It doesn't sometimes hurt or hurt when I do X....I notice it from morning to night.

Bingo!! Textbook classic herniated disc symptoms. 1. Pain increasing with age. 2. More pain after hard impact running. 3. Refusing to stop an activity that causes pain??? 4. Pain related to exact activity or movement direction. 5. Pain is acute when it's there.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and have never had medical training, but I do have a 6" long scar at the base of my spine that was once a 6" deep hole that would accommodate the full length and diameter of a beer can. Had my surgery on my 40th birthday in 1989. L4-L5 decomp

Get thee to an orthopedist, and IIRC you need a hi-rez MRI for a conclusive diagnosis. The good news is that these days herniated discs are normally done with a 1" incision and laparoscopic microsurgical techniques. If, however, all that high impact activity has progressed from the nerves to the cartilage or bones, then open surgery may be required.

As far as cancer concerns are concerned, I have no idea or experience whatsoever. I'm only here by default after being diagnosed with terminal leukemia and surviving a full year.
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; 07-16-2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Not good to yell at the members
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows blasts 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective
    12/4/17 Diagnosis: Uncontrolled refractory AML

Newbie New User
    Dead man: LOL...thank you! Yes, I continue the abhorrent behavior, er uh...running on the treadmill. However, within reason. Other aerobic activities are similar, and for the record, I stopped doing the boot camp class with the additional weights (hell, I have enough weight of my own thank you very much).
    As it was, my brother, aged 46, just had the same back surgery. So, hooray for genetics. BOO!! I don't want to get it looked at, but I think you're right as is the mod.I will need to check that FIRST to alleviate THAT concern.
    Also, my aunt passed away in 1994 from acute leukemia and it does concern me some that I would/could end up with that, too. Who knows what will come of our bodies or our futures-to some degree. Sigh.

I'm still on the fence about the breast cancer and will get a 3D Mam tomorrow. Hopefully I can find out if it's nothing or something. I am really one to want to know, than ignore or pretend it's nothing when it could be something so....onward I suppose!

Thanks for the feedback all. I don't feel judged and def more informed!

Also, forget the genetics!!

Herniated disks are caused by traumatic impacts (repeated or one massive impact) that causes so much pressure that the "shock absorbing tissue inside the disc" literally blows out and the vertebrae above the blowout settles down and pinches the nerve. MAKE an appointment with an orthopedist this week!!

As far as leukemia, I have seen no published evidence that even remotely suggests a hereditary connection. If it were a hereditary disease, any undertaker or doctor in a small town could have figured THAT out once the disease was identified in the late 1800's. The cause is still undetermined, and as of today, and the only working hypothesis is a possible link to the solvent benzene. Seeing as I was trained as an organic chemist, I rinsed off my hands with the stuff a few times in the 1960's. As such, I am leukemia version of Isaac Newton, who is sitting directly under the benzene tree....
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; 07-16-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective

Regular User
    Hi there, I don't know much about cancer but when I read the first part of your post I felt I had to respond.. have you had an MRI of your lumbar spine? I have a herniated disc at my l5 S1 that is impinging on my nerve root and my symptoms in the first few years were exactly like yours. They are much worse now as time has passed and I have gotten older. I am to the point where I am looking in to my options for surgery.

I am not saying this is what is for sure causing your back symptoms as I am no Dr but I figured I would throw the possibility out there.

Careful1: Very similar to what I said, except after the MRI diagnosis, I got the best back surgeon in Minnesota in 1989, who was named Dr. "Fast Eddie" Salovich, and I had the surgery post haste, and the problem completely resolved itself and never came back. That's the Trifecta: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Permanent Cure. You got the symptoms and diagnosis, and your herniation must not hurt nearly as much as mine did. My whole body would spasm when the nerve was compressed, and send me into a Grand Mal seizure that required a knockout dose of Demerol to stop. My hospital bed would start rolling around the room if all 4 wheels weren't locked.

And squishy: You got classic symptoms, and you got no appointment YET for an ortho consult and an MRI. Tempus fugit.....
    Last edited by ChemoMan; 07-15-2017 at 02:48 AM.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    L4-5 herniation here. Laminectomy followed by discectomy two years later. I second the request for an MRI or other imaging of your lumbar spine. If there is a herniation, and if it is impinging on a nerve, corrective surgery might be a limp-in, walk out procedure. Tiny little scar on your back. By the time a cancer such as breast cancer would travel all the way down the spine and set up shop, I would think that your symptoms would be worse and that the cancer would be easily detectable. I think you have a herniation in the most hernia-prone part of the spine. As to the other diagnostics, you do not have cancer until a pathology report says you have cancer. A family history of cancer does not assure you of having any cancer, so take some comfort in that.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    Thanks PO18guy and Dead Man.
    Yes, true about the cancer DX. I had mammo this morning and can find out between now and 4 days from now...if I have to wait 10 days then it's most likely nothing. I am praying for the nothing. What prompted my concern was actually real symptoms that are similar to others who were DX'd. I wasn't looking for something, which is why I haven't had one in 4 years. I HATE taking medication, let alone taking anything else that I'm told to....even went with no Tylenol 8 (hydrocodone?) or whatever after c-section because "I can handle the pain." Whatever. I dealt with it.
    All that to say regarding the back: YES! I do feel that you pushy folks have convinced me I should see my PCP for a recommend. It just seems that if the pain radiates and does not let up (though I'm not in seizure territory at all) that it's a good sign of something more pressing. I would like to walk until I die, thank you very much.

I seriously came into this forum because 1)I am truly concerned; 2) I do NOT like to self-diagnose but DO research; 3) wanted to find a crowd that understood that while we are not physicians (unless we are) we can still commiserate and hear from others of similar ilk so that we can feel supported...maybe make some decisions.....and, if we do have an outcome that is not "healthy" we can still remain for more support. I cannot tell you the night and day difference that this forum, however short, has made in this season of my life.

So, THANK YOU all......if anything comes of anything I guess I'll let y'all know!

Regular User
    Dead man walking,

Oh it deff hurts.. Unfortunately when I was diagnosed I was laid off my job and couldn't afford the Cobra. Surgery was recommended but I had no means to pay for it. It's gotten to the point now where I get awful pains in my leg and have drop foot. It's difficult to get into a comfortable position at all times. It's to the point i can't get relief no matter what I do and I am on some heavy narcotics that no longer work. I want off these meds and the problem corrected.
    Since I now have insurance, I am getting the ball moving on surgery. It just takes time cause my insurance makes you try so many different things before they will pay for it even though I have already done them prior. I am getting the disc replaced and a fusion. I can only pray that it works..

Even if it doesn't take away all the pain, if it can get it down significantly, I will be more then greatful ♡

Thank goodness you were able to get it corrected!!! What you went through sounds AWFUL.