A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Never thought I would post in a Cancer Forum...

Newbie Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    Also sorry to hear of this. At the identical age of 56, I received word that I had a rare and aggressive lymphoma. At the time, I heard words such as incurable, inoperable, irradiable, poor prognosis, no defined treatment, stage IV, bone marrow involvement and over 50 tumors. Despite those dire predictions and a prognosis which has dropped several times from "poor", we forged ahead. What followed might only charitably be called "character-building" but it was absolutely worth it. I am now in my 10th year of enjoying life more fully.
    WOW! What a fighter.
    I have not join the lung forum yet but tomorrow is my biopsy result unfold. Super scared. I am having Pins and Needles - Paraesthesia sensation randomly running at different places over my body now.

Regular User
    Well Gang, I wanted to update the thread with some news...

We are now at the halfway mark of the Chemo cycle treatment, in other words, I have 6 sessions done out of 12 total. At the end of 12 sessions, they will than do a CT Scan to see what is happening (stabilized, grown, or reduced in size).

Chemo sure does strange things to your body, as I have had my slew of side effects sync such as I'm losing my hair, nausea, swollen of ankles, etc... nothing really serious (nor requiring a trip to the ER).

We are starting to prepare things such as a will, and have decided to get married (civilly, or legally) in order to facilitate any physical, financial, or mental decisions that need to be done as time goes on. We are also BOTH doing it for love, but it feels weird to get married and knowing in the back of our minds that we don't have the rest of our lives to spend together.

I am a lucky guy because she is my soul mate, my best friend, and my lover, all into one beautiful person. It just feels right to be doing this, even at this weird moment of our lives.

Anyways, it is 4:45am, so I guess I will head off back to bed, and wish everyone a great day.

Sincerely, IAN.

Hi Ian,
    First thing - CONGRATS on the upcoming wedding vows! Nothing better in this world than to marry your soul mate. Mick and I did the same. We thought he only had a few months left when we got married. We just celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary. Regardless of the time left - live, love and laugh.

I am glad that although you have ad symptoms you have been able to manage them. Think of them as battle scars. You have earned them.

Do get some rest hun. You have half way there!

Big congrat hugs to you both,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Experienced User
    Hi Ian!!!

Congrats!!! The best thing to do! It will give you strength to fight and you know you're not alone. It will make a big difference believe me.
    See , like Jodie said, dont make a timeline, they told me 8-12 Months and this was October 15, i am still here and in Love!!!
    Just try to stay positive!!!!
    Hugs Petra
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    Fingers crossed

Senior User
    Hello Ian et al,
    Congratulations are in order all around! To you and your girlfriend/fiance.

And; Welcome to the land of chemo side effects.. Your hair will grow back, but what color and what type is anybody’s guess.
    (Mine came back completely gray the first time, then Tarceva brillo gray, and this last time a nice soft salt & pepper.)
    So start a pool on what you’ll get, make everyone contribute!!

Milkshakes with protein powder will help you keep your weight up and are easy going down. I think that you will be able to hold them down if you go slowly. You’ll need lots of fluids and if water won’t stay down, try diet ginger ale.

A great wedding present to yourself would be a recliner. About ¾ back will help relieve some of the back problems/pain, and you can elevate those ankles.

Good on you for getting all your paper work in order! (That was especially painful for Linda and I, but we knew that it had to be done. Boy were there lots of tears through that!)

Ian, don’t count yourself out. Live and love every day and make good memories. If you check my thread, you’ll see that there can also be lots of ‘days’ in your future.

Hang tough,
    Warmest regards to you and your Bride to be!
    zim

Regular User
    Hi, and thanks again for everyone posting, it is really nice to read how others have handles these situations.

An thanks for the idea of a "recliner"... sounds exactly like what I need to help the old body recover...

IAN.

Regular User
    Hi Ian,
    Congratulations on the halfway mark and your upcoming wedding. Good for you thats great news. Nobody really knows for sure what the rest of their life is going to be in marriage. It could be 50 years or 1 day for ANYONE of us, so dont think of it as weird just enjoy your soulmate. Just like everyone here says "screw you stats "
    Good luck to you both!
    Lisa