A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Mum has las lung cancer. No treatment

Newbie New User

Mum has las lung cancer. No treatment

Hi, just joined today after reading every single post in this section.
    My mum got diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks ago after having a cough that wouldn't go away for a few weeks and a collapsed lung.
    It's squamous cell carcinoma, doctor didn't say stage, but know there is one tumour in the bronchi and a couple smaller ones in the right lung. It's also in her lymph nodes. There was also a couple of spots in her brain but they didn't think it was cancer.
    The doctor had a meeting with me and my dad and said there is nothing they can do and gave a prognosis of weeks to months, saying 3 months was being optimistic.
    She has had few heart attack about 15 years ago and has angina. She is also disabled. Uses a wheelchair when out and about but can walk around house with use of a stick.
    Since the diagnosis, she has had fluid drained from her lung (still waiting on results of that) and two infections ( doctors have said it likely she will get them repeatedly because of collapsed lung).
    My mum is still in hospital, we're waiting on a care package before she can come home.
    past few weeks she has barely ate anything. Lucky if she has a couple of spoonfuls of pudding a day and doesn't seem to be drinking much.
    The past week she seems to be sleeping a lot as well. When I go to hospital every night to see her she tells me to go after about ten minutes so she can go to sleep. She's also refusing to shower so nurses have been giving her a wash. She's also a a bit confused. Can't remember my dad going to see her during that day for example.
    Is this the start of her declining? What can expect to happen?
    My dad seems to think once she gets home she'll be back sitting in her chair watching tv again, while I think she'll be in bed most of the time
    C x

Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    Dear Ice: My suggestion is to look into hospice care immediately. Trying to care for a dying person with no training and no backup is a nearly impossible task.The caregivers in hospice are trained professionals who are used to dealing with dying, and they know the kinds of meds that can greatly ease the pain and suffering of the patient. Since the doctors said there is nothing they can do, that qualifies as a terminal diagnosis. In addition, without proper nutrition and fluids, the process will be greatly accelerated. Get help, or this situation will overwhelm you.
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for knee surgery show low WBC & RBC
    05/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts CD34 with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    05/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo regimen
    06/??/16 TSHTF!! 3+7 doesn't touch AML, knocks out immune system, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    07/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]
    Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Wife & I move to North Shore Lake Ponchatrain - Infusion center 4 minutes away.
    15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows CD34 cells 12%
    Three 5 week cycles of azacitidine.
    04/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks.
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added
    Oncologist estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS!!!

Newbie New User
    Thanks for the reply. My dad is wanting my mum at home. I've said to him I'm not sure that we'll manage, but he's wanting her home so I'm kinda having to go with their wishes. She wants to come as well but is unaware of what's wrong with her, Though she has been told a few times.
    There will be a district nurse coming to house daily in the first instance, and carers, four times a day to help with showers etc, and when they thinks it's needed they will contact the McMillan nurses to come in. We're in the U.K.
    Last edited by Ice; 07-16-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    Well, that sounds like you have enough support to maintain your own sanity and health. From the "dialect" you speak and the smell of room temperature beer, I correctly deduced you were a "limey". God bless and I hope you transit this difficult patch in good shape.

Sincerely, DMW
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for knee surgery show low WBC & RBC
    05/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts CD34 with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    05/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo regimen
    06/??/16 TSHTF!! 3+7 doesn't touch AML, knocks out immune system, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    07/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]
    Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Wife & I move to North Shore Lake Ponchatrain - Infusion center 4 minutes away.
    15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows CD34 cells 12%
    Three 5 week cycles of azacitidine.
    04/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks.
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added
    Oncologist estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS!!!

Dear Ice,

I am so very sorry about your Mom. Each person's journey is different. Her confusion could be cancer related or dehydration related. Dehydration can mimic signs of dementia almost. The poor lady is likely suffering from shock and depression as well which can contribute as well.

I am sure the hospital will well set you up with a hospice provider or equivalent in the UK who in turn will be able to provide many answers and support. Sounds like the may have with McMillan nurses. I encourage your dad and you to also seek any support (from each other, counseling or whatever you need) you need during this time. We are certainly here to help answer questions and support you in any way we can.

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you have had to join this club. You will find many supportive members in here. Please let us know how your Mom and you are doing.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Sorry it took a while to reply. My mum died yesterday afternoon. The nurses put a syringe driver into her arm for medication on Wednesday and after that she became unconscious. She seemed pain free for most of it, apart from when she was struggling to clear her throat from all the mucus that had gathered. The last few hours there's was what I can only describe as green goo coming from her mouth which eventually I think she suffocated from. I can't get the image out of my head of her trying to breath through it all when she died. Im hoping she was unaware of it cause she was drugged up, but I don't know.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Ice

My deepest condolences go out to you. May the love you shared help guide you in the times ahead.

Lisa

I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

I'm very sorry for your loss, Ice. I'll keep your mom and your family in my prayers.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED