A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Question about Rough skin in the perineum area closer to Anus

Newbie New User

Question Question about Rough skin in the perineum area closer to Anus

My mom recently went to her yearly physical and she has been experiencing some sore and itchiness in her perineum area closer to anus. She had her Dr. check it out and at first he thought it was a fissure but then said he was more concerned because the skin was rough. So he took a biopsy and its going to be about a week to hear anything and the waiting just drives you crazy. It could be anything but the one main thing that comes to mind, what if its cancer. I just been browsing online to see what information I could find but I can't really seem to find much about the rough skin with being a main concern.

Just asking if anyone has any past experience or any information about this or what it could be? Lately its been very hot and we always go for daily walks and I just wonder if it could just be irritated skin and from the itching and hot weather. I know it could turn out to be anything but just trying to not stress so much. This came on about 2 weeks ago. Its just so worrisome that he was concerned enough to take a biopsy.

Any help is appreciated.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    First, stop Googling as that can always lead you to the worst case scenerio.

At this point your mom's doctor is being proactive in determining the cause. We understsnd how stressful the waiting can be but it is necessary.

Your mom's doctor is not looking to diagnose cancer by way of the biopsy, they biopsy was to rule it out. Biopsies are done not just for cancer but for all other types of possible reasons.

For now, keep yourself occupied and not overwhelmed with guessing the outcome.

We are not doctors and can not guess, that is the doctors job once a pathilogy report presents the findings. Your mom is in good hands with her doctor.

Good luck and do let us know how things turn out once the results are in.

Lisa

Newbie New User
    Thanks for the information. I know I try to resist from it, just dealt with so much in the past and it just gnaws at you.

Newbie New User
    My Mom got her results back and it is Cancer but its Skin Cancer - Basal Cell, waiting to consult with a Surgeon about removal but Dr. said this is very treatable, hes just never really seen it in that spot but it can happen anywhere! My Mom has already removed a Melanoma back in 2013 with success so we'll remove this one as well!

Newbie New User

Basal cell carcinoma (perirectum)

We just got biopsy results yesterday that my mom has Basal cell carcinoma, its located on the perineum skin closer to the anus area. I haven't got to see report but this is all he told my mom and said its the most treatable type. My mom has had Melanoma in the past that was taken off by Wide local excision back in 2013 with no recurrence, caught it very early. So now this is another blow but the least serious kind of Skin Cancer but still scary to deal with. The Dr. didn't think it was anything but found it strange to have rough skin that area so during a Punch biopsy it revealed this. The nurse had said the area had a red middle that was ulcerated surrounding the rough tissue which could be irritation. I just wonder if its been there and now just gave symptoms, the only thing was the itching that caused her to ask about it during just her yearly physical so it could have went misdiagnosed. I tried to ask the nurse today if it listed a subtype or any other details and she just said no that in order to get proper staging that it will happen when the Surgeon decides what to do, I read mostly its all handled by wide local excision and given the area it may be more tricky healing since its not a lot of extra skin in that area but i read about some techniques they to close it or skin graft? She also mentioned its up to surgeon on what he thinks or if he needs to recommend her somewhere to get it done and possible lymph node if they think it could spread? I read a lot online about BCC rarely spreading and she made it sound more involved then what we did with the more serious Melanoma. I was just curious if anyone else has dealt with BCC in that area or if it makes it any different then anywhere else on the body?

The only notes online the Dr. left was below:

Reason for referral
    Pt is scheduled for consult on basal cell carcinoma of the perirectum.

Diagnosis
    C44.91 - Basal cell carcinoma

Newbie New User
    Just wanted to do a follow up in case anyone ever has this issue as its more rare in this area.
    We first had the consultation with the Surgeon, he told us that the biopsy report already showed some clear areas and it sounded like the punch Biopsy removed a lot of it or all of it but still needed full clear margins to be sure so a surgery was scheduled. My mom had her Wide Local Excision a little over 2 weeks ago and we got results back today that no other cancer was found and the margins were clear. The stitches were also removed today with no issue and we're all so relieved with the outcome.

I wish everyone the best!