A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: New Here

  1. #11
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    25
    When my wife was diagnosed, her Oncologist takes her case to a team of specialists that look at the case and a decision for treatment is made by the group. In essence the diagnosis and subsequent care we received was the opinion of a dozen doctors. I am glad you all are here, though I really wish none of us were. I'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out, though I realise the odds are bad, I'll still hope for a good outcome. She is still doing remarkably well at this point, we will continue on. I think the fight ahead is a long and difficult one but I'm no fortune teller.
    Thanks again.

  2. #12
    1 year and 4 months ago I was diagnosed with stage iv rectal cancer with numerous mets on the liver. I was told during my first meeting with my local Oncologist that I was inoperable and treatment would be palliative in nature with the goal of extending my life as long as possible. After a good response to radiation and chemo I went to MD Anderson in Houston, TX for a second opinion. The surgeons there determined that with my good response, they could do a two stage liver resection and hopefully remove all of the tumors. I had those resections in Feb. and April and my last scan showed only two spots that were listed as too small to characterize. I also met with the colon-rectal surgeon to see what they were gonna do about the original tumor. With the scan and a scope she determined that the primary tumor had a complete clinical response to the radiation and chemo and was no longer there. I saw it myself during the scope, nothing was there except a little scar tissue on the rectal wall.

    I am saying all of this to let you know that while the initial prognosis may be very poor, things can change. I went from inoperable with over 20 mets on the liver to now where I am almost cancer free. I will know more next week when I go back for my 3 month check up at MD Anderson but as of right now, all known/verified cancerous tumors are gone.

    I also urge you to seek a second opinion, esp. since she has shown early signs of response to the treatment.
    best of luck and keep coming back, there is a lot of experience an knowledge of this terrible disease on this board.
    TIm
    48 year old Male
    High grade Rectal adenocarcinoma
    Met with Surgeon 4/21/2016 CT Scan and Endorectal Ultrasound ordered
    4/28/16 CT scan done
    5/3 surgeon called to cancel ultrasound, CT scan showed liver Mets and "many" lymph nodes involved. Diagnosed Stage IV.
    5/6/16 Pet scan complete
    Oncologist confirmed stage IV proposed 6 weeks of radiation and 5 FU to start
    5/23/2016 Started Continuous infusion of 5 FU
    5/26/2016 began radiation treatment (scheduled for 28 )
    5/30/16 met with liver surgeon he pronounced that I may be potentially resectable Yay!!!
    6/6/2016. CEA 233.5
    6/20/2016 CEA 86
    6/30/2016 2nd CT scan of liver and pelvic area (waiting on results)
    7/5/2016 Last Radiation treatment CEA 17.5
    7/19/2016 begin FOLFOX with Avastin (scheduled for 12 cycles) CEA 9.8
    9/6/2016 CEA down to 4.0
    9/14/2016 Scan shows all tumors responding to treatment and shrinking YAY!!
    9/27/2016 CEA down again to 3.2

  3. #13
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    25
    Wow! Thanks and congratulations on your healing journey. It is truly amazing and I do hope the result for you is complete recovery
    Ron

  4. #14
    Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by lsu2001 View Post
    1 year and 4 months ago I was diagnosed with stage iv rectal cancer with numerous mets on the liver. I was told during my first meeting with my local Oncologist that I was inoperable and treatment would be palliative in nature with the goal of extending my life as long as possible. After a good response to radiation and chemo I went to MD Anderson in Houston, TX for a second opinion. The surgeons there determined that with my good response, they could do a two stage liver resection and hopefully remove all of the tumors. I had those resections in Feb. and April and my last scan showed only two spots that were listed as too small to characterize. I also met with the colon-rectal surgeon to see what they were gonna do about the original tumor. With the scan and a scope she determined that the primary tumor had a complete clinical response to the radiation and chemo and was no longer there. I saw it myself during the scope, nothing was there except a little scar tissue on the rectal wall.

    I am saying all of this to let you know that while the initial prognosis may be very poor, things can change. I went from inoperable with over 20 mets on the liver to now where I am almost cancer free. I will know more next week when I go back for my 3 month check up at MD Anderson but as of right now, all known/verified cancerous tumors are gone.

    I also urge you to seek a second opinion, esp. since she has shown early signs of response to the treatment.
    best of luck and keep coming back, there is a lot of experience an knowledge of this terrible disease on this board.
    TIm
    Tim

    That is really good news and a good reminder to others that there is always hope despite what the doctors might be saying at the time. Thanks for posting.

    Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

  5. #15
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    25
    CT scan results are in and very good. After 12 rounds of chemo my wife shows continued shrinkage of the tumors. This gives me hope that she will get a few more years. We are off to Europe early next month to see her family. Another scan scheduled in 3 months and we will go from there.

  6. #16
    Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Belcoron View Post
    CT scan results are in and very good. After 12 rounds of chemo my wife shows continued shrinkage of the tumors. This gives me hope that she will get a few more years. We are off to Europe early next month to see her family. Another scan scheduled in 3 months and we will go from there.
    That is more good news. Have a good time in Europe.

    Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

  7. #17
    Senior User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    360
    Enjoying your time in Europe, and I hope your wife is feeling little bit better.

    Hugs,
    Aneta

  8. #18
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    25
    9 months later and there have been additional metastasis. It seem as though there have been deposited tumors in the rectus muscle sheath from the removal of the sigmoid section of the colon.
    This is causing her terrible pain at times, the nodules seem to be pressing on a nerve in the area, either that or the nerve has also been invaded but the fact that the pain comes and goes leads me to believe
    it may be pressure. She does have constant pain but not bad most of the time.
    The Chemo went well but her tumors have now regrown, doubled and tripled and of course some new ones. I see her slowing down and she has lost a bit of weight though she changed her diet so that might account for most of it.
    This is a very difficult process to watch, feeling so damn helpless, it is very frustrating that one can only comfort and not fix the problem.
    Meet with the Oncologist in a few days to discuss what is next, I'm sure it will be a second round of chemo and maybe that will shrink the tumors enough for some relief. She is trying to get by without
    any hard drugs, she has never taken any kind of drug in her life, not even weed. She is trying to get by as long as she can without, she wants to be clearheaded and not dopey.
    Any thoughts? I'm out of ideas, she isn't a candidate for surgery but it would be nice to lessen her suffering somehow.
    Last edited by Belcoron; 04-28-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling

  9. #19
    Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Belcoron View Post
    9 months later and there have been additional metastasis. It seem as though there have been deposited tumors in the rectus muscle sheath from the removal of the sigmoid section of the colon.
    This is causing her terrible pain at times, the nodules seem to be pressing on a nerve in the area, either that or the nerve has also been invaded but the fact that the pain comes and goes leads me to believe
    it may be pressure. She does have constant pain but not bad most of the time.
    The Chemo went well but her tumors have now regrown, doubled and tripled and of course some new ones. I see her slowing down and she has lost a bit of weight though she changed her diet so that might account for most of it.
    This is a very difficult process to watch, feeling so damn helpless, it is very frustrating that one can only comfort and not fix the problem.
    Meet with the Oncologist in a few days to discuss what is next, I'm sure it will be a second round of chemo and maybe that will shrink the tumors enough for some relief. She is trying to get by without
    any hard drugs, she has never taken any kind of drug in her life, not even weed. She is trying to get by as long as she can without, she wants to be clearheaded and not dopey.
    Any thoughts? I'm out of ideas, she isn't a candidate for surgery but it would be nice to lessen her suffering somehow.
    I am sorry to hear all that. My heart goes out to you both and your families.

    I am sorry that I do not have any smart ideas for the pain relief or indeed anything. Maybe someone will pass by on the forum that has direct experience and can offer help.

    Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

  10. #20
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    25
    We have gone through another 4 rounds of chemo, scan shows good results again but a small PE was discovered. After 2 weeks of Dalteparin injections she has decided to go with an oral medication. The tumors have again shown shrinkage so at least we are slowing the monster down. We have to drive nearly 500km each way for chemo so that is a bit burdensome...


    One of the most difficult things to overcome is the fear and the worry of what will come but we take one day at a time. We always say put one foot in front of the other and lean...

    It's been nearly 2 years since diagnosis and my wife looks great, and I think that is the number one comment I get from people. She stays home a lot during chemo and doesn't get out until she is feeling better so that's what they see. I hope to keep her around for a good while yet so we battle on.

 

Similar Threads

  1. New here - wish I had no reason to be here!
    By Suzieswo in forum Pancreatic Cancer Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM
  2. New caregiver here - here's our GBM story (LONG!)
    By ginak in forum Brain Tumors Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
  3. New here and new to stage 4 grrrr.
    By Bill Noble in forum Lung Cancer Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 02:54 AM
  4. Hi, New here and have a question. New update 3
    By tikilyn in forum Melanoma and Skin Cancer Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •