A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Here

Regular User

New Here

This is my first time here. I've been given the role of caregiver to my wife and I know this is going to be incredibly difficult.
    She was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, with mets to her right lung. She is undergoing Palliative chemo, she just got her 9th infuser which I'll remove 2 tomorrow.
    She is a fighter and hopes to kick this into remission though the odds are definitely against her. I will need somewhere to ask questions so here I am and as the journey unfolds
    I will look for answers. I am so appreciative there is somewhere like this to come to. Thanks.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello Belcoran but sorry to hear of your wife's diagnosis.

I am moving your thread to the Colon Cancer forum as that is ehere you will find support and answers to the many questions from knowledgeable caring members.

Check back often for responses and continue your thread with your questions.

Lisa

Experienced User
    You hang in there Belcoron, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Colo/Rectal cancer over 2 years ago and I'm still kicking and fighting hard. Stage IV is not a death sentence anymore, stay positive and keep her moving!
    Stage IV Colorectal Cancer Fighter

As with the others, I'm sorry to read your wife's prognosis.
    Although not good at stage IV dylskee is quite eight no longer is this stage a given.
    Any questions fire away and I'm sure our members will have the answers.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Belcoron,

Lots of good info here. Too, those giving you their responses to Stage IV diagnosis, know what they are talking about...

It might be helpful to know what treatments have occurred this far. How has she reacted to the chemo, hope you have had some success with these treatments thus far. Keep on being the positive person as I am sure you are in your wife's life. Also, take care of yourself, you need to be in good health to handle the care giving..

Keep posting your concerns and questions... Not sure there are lots of answers here, but lots of experience to share.

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly

Regular User
    Thanks for caring. Last September my wife was having problems passing stool and during the ensuing scope it was discovered her colon was nearly 100% blocked due to a tumor. The doctor performed a sigmoid resection that day and as he couldn't see any spread he thought she would be ok. The 10 lymph nodes came back ok so we thought we were in the clear.

Now the travelling mammogram unit came in to our town and found an architectural distortion on her breast that would require a further examination. She had a diagnostic X-ray and she was found to have a small cancerous tumor in the breast. We travelled to yet a third town where she had a sentinel biopsy and then a lumpectomy.
    After she healed for a few months she had a PET scan and that was when we learned of the disaster. At this time she was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with multiple mets to her right lung. It looks like there may be a dozen or more. Nothing very big yet but between these and several active lymph nodes the diagnosis was no cure and palliative chemo.

She has had 9 chemo sessions. After 4 her nuetrofils and WBC were too low so she had to wait several weeks to restart. The dosage was lowered and she managed to get through 4 more sessions before she was in the same boat again. She has been given another script now, the Luecoverin was discontinued.
    She did have a scan after 6 sessions and the tumors had shrank which of course is great news as it will hopefully give her some more time. The doctor has said he would be surprised if she got more than 2 years. My wife of course hopes she is one of the miracles and the cancer goes into remission for many years. I want the same thing but am pessimistic about her chances. As of right now she still feels ok and does not have pain. The chemo is not too bad for her, two days after I remove the infuser she does get rather ill for 2 days but just very tired and slow, she has to be careful not to move too quick or she gets nauseous.
    That's about it to this point. I don't really know what is next but I guess it will reveal itself as time goes on. Funny, she never smoked, drank very little and only occasionally, eats very healthy, excercises, walks, etc... You never know...

That's quite a history over a short period of time.
    Same as yourselves I'm surprised at the rapid development into full blown metastasis in such a short time, which would indicate it is a aggressive type.
    Adenocarcinoma ?, which is normally the subtype of the majority of colorectal cancers doesn't normally progress as rapidly. Nor can I understand with initially clear lymphatic involvement how the cancer has evolved to current stage in such a short period.
    Unfortunately cancer is a despicable disease where some are pre disposed to developing it.
    For sure it's a tough fight yet with the tumour burden initially responding there remains hope that another chemotherapy regime may I'm not saying cure, but at least give some farther time.
    My best wishes and please keep us informed how things develope.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    no Cancer.

Motto

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Belcoron,

The doctors best guess about the likely progression is just that, a best guess.

None of us is 'normal' and we do not all fit the normal pattern. So some of us do have much better reaction to the chemo than others and I hope your wife is one of those. Certainly it is good news so far that the tumours have shrunk.

So I would say your wife is right to be optimistic. Hope is what keeps us going and I think does play a part in the eventual outcome.

But of course, hope for the best, prepare for the worst as they say.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    That's quite a history over a short period of time.
    Same as yourselves I'm surprised at the rapid development into full blown metastasis in such a short time, which would indicate it is a aggressive type.
    Adenocarcinoma ?, which is normally the subtype of the majority of colorectal cancers doesn't normally progress as rapidly. Nor can I understand with initially clear lymphatic involvement how the cancer has evolved to current stage in such a short period.
    Unfortunately cancer is a despicable disease where some are pre disposed to developing it.
    For sure it's a tough fight yet with the tumour burden initially responding there remains hope that another chemotherapy regime may I'm not saying cure, but at least give some farther time.
    My best wishes and please keep us informed how things develope.
    Barry
    Barry,

I don't think it was such a rapid development. When she had the scope the tumour was nearly blocking off the colon. It had grown through the wall and caused cancer cells to travel via the lymph and blood systems. That tumour was likely growing for many years. The mets had time to establish as well. The Oncologist said the doubling time of the tumours is 90 days which in her case is fairly aggressive I think? Maybe you would know. The Oncologist said her sorries and told us there was no cure for her and the only treatment palliative. This gives me little hope. I am an incurable optimist but also a realist. My wife is the pessimist and yet she believes she is going to beat it. Odd situation isn't it?
    Ron

Thanks for the update, now things are clear.
    It did appear that the progression was remarkably fast given you're initial description.
    I'm not sure on the doubling rate or time to be honest, of that is the case then yes it would be categorised as aggressive.
    Is there any chance of getting a second opinion ?.
    Lets hope you're wife is correct as there is always a chance.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    no Cancer.

Motto