A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Staging Final Diagnosis

Experienced User
    Thanks Jodie. So I agree with the walking because that has been my main means of exercise since I have been sick. I think what I need to do this time is rather than going for longer walks, is to break them out into smaller increments. Do you agree? The last surgery I made the mistake of walking down my rural street to the end (approx. 1 km) and forgot that I still had to come back and no one was with me to help. For the bloating I read an article that tumeric helps. I found a recipe called 'Golden Milk' which I am going to try out (almond milk, tumeric, cinnamon and honey). Today is first day alone since surgery so I don't have someone physically reminding me to take it easy...but I will. Too bad about ginger ale.. we'll figure something else if it comes to that.

Ya I would recommend smaller walks. I know it is hard to cut back from your regular activity but just remember it is only temp so try to be a good girl.
    Hope the recipe works.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Experienced User
    Golden Milk..wow they weren't kidding at least it is 'golden' to me (edit~in getting things to start moving). The drink I tried was really soothing and yummy and did help the belly bloat and digestion if you know what I mean. I was contemplating whether I was going to share my experience with others on the site (edit~however when used routinely can have a very powerful affect). Tumeric spice apparetently has a wide range of benefits for different types of issues (edit~but probably should be vetted with GP/ONC first to ensure no contraindications).
    Last edited by Ingrid_CanOn; 08-24-2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Original posting was based on initial results.

Experienced User
    Had a nice visit from my Mom and sister today. It is really great to have the support system I need. It was also interesting because the discussion came around to discussing my Mom's increased inability to be my Dad's sole caregiver. It is kind of hard to say that I don't need any help, when I am having a conversation with my Mom that she will need to bring help in for my Dad. Kinda put things into perspective for me. Before my sister left we discussed about her helping me with the laundry. She also said to make a list of other things she could do to help out. Initially I balked, but now realize that I may be in a 'pay it forward' scenario. Perhaps my sister will be in a position in the future where she will need me. I am very lucky to have such loving, caring and supportive people in my life....including this forum.

There was some concern from them about my weight, but I am trying to put pounds back on...perhaps I need more time? My surgery was only a week ago.
    Last edited by Ingrid_CanOn; 08-25-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Typo

It is great you do have such a good support system. Not all are so lucky. I am glad you stopped yourself from saying no to your sister's help. Right now you need it - end of story. It is what it is. And you are right; later you can "pay it forward" when she needs you. And ya that is what family does for each other.
    As for your weight, eat and do what you can but yes it has only been a week. If it still worries you, make sure you talk to your dr at your next appointment ok?
    Rest and recover ok?
    Jodie
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Experienced User
    Thanks Jodie. I tried to do the '3 square meals a day' scenario, but it doesn't work for me. I am eating smaller and more frequent meals, but only when I'm hungry. When I try to 'eat for the sake of eating', I can't seem to get it down. I also don't want to eat high caloric low nutritional value foods just to put weight back on. Maybe I will start a food diary and weight chart so that my GP can review and assess. Do you think that would useful?

It really can't hurt. Would help you and your treatment team see a true picture of what is happening. Oh btw can you send my the recipe for the Golden Milk? My mom just had surgery for a broken leg and is having problems lol. Thanks a million
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Experienced User
    Hi Jodie See PM. Thanks and hope it works out.

Experienced User
    So 21 more days before I see ONC ...seems so far away. My hubby left for his week canoe trip down the Petawawa River in Algonquin Park yesterday. I am so happy he gets a chance to get away, relax and have some adventure.

First night he's away and I had a fainting spell and fell hard on my left side. My arse cheek and head is really sore today. Since I still wanted to go for a walk, I played it safe and brought a cane with me for stability. I must be freaking out the neighborhood because 3 weeks ago I was walking at a 6.2 km pace and now I'm hobbling at a mere 2.8 km with a cane. Oh well better safe than sorry as I don't have enough meat on me to sustain an other fall. Keeping my mind busy has been a challenge where I was spending most of my time watching Hurricane Harvey. I'm also finding some escapism in movies. Wish I could do more but I'm taking my recovery slower this time. It's nice not to have to rush to go back to work though. Ahh, the advantages of retirement.

Why the fainting spell Ingrid? this something new? Have you mentioned this to your drs?
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED