A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: HCC, transplant

Newbie New User

HCC, transplant

Doctors say that with my liver cancer the only remedy is transplant. Would like info from those with HCC and who have had a transplant. Post operation, symptoms, side effects. Quality of life afterwards.

Newbie New User
    If your cancer was caught early enough to get a transplant you are a lucky one. Most are not. I only know one person who's had a transplant and he is doing very well. He was miserable before having to have paracentesis regularly. I've heard there is a long waiting list so I hope you start treatment and get on the list. My husband was diagnosed too late for any treatment except Sorafinib due to tumor being so large. It is not a cure. We prayed he would've been able to get a transplant or resection. That was his only hope of survival.

Newbie New User
    This is my fear, making a wrong decision and ending up far worse. My doctors all say transplant. So far I have not been able to learn about post op. After a transplant. My concern is the risk, quality of life using immune suppressant Meds and opening the door to other cancers due to the meds. When I don't feel sick it's hard to say cut me open, but they say a year or two without transplant so moving forward if I'm lucky to get on a list and have a transplant I'd like to know what then. Am I normal enough to function on my own. Am I strong. Somewhat healthy ??

Newbie New User
    this reminds me of a poetry forum i was connected to. i post a poem and they promise a response. So this forum has nancy. And of course those others that actually have issues and want to share. I was just looking for a place to get reinforcement on my HCC. Its a difficult decision to have a transplant but the other choice is waiting for the cancer to return and then theres no choice at all. I have a 4.2 cm tumor in my liver, after radiation and tace treatments it is in "remission" . They say it will come back with a vengeance. Someday. I had Hep C but with Harvoni and Ribiviron meds Im "cured" a word very seldom used in the medical profession. At least when its connected to liver disease. Anyway, I'm in better shape now then I have been in a very long time. I have my strength back and my cancer isn't active. My AFP is at 5.5. Im in such good shape they say they can now cut out my liver. A very odd format they use. sick but not too sick. So just another thousand bucks in tests and I might get on the list. Ive been reluctant and skeptical. They never promise anything. And as you all know if my cancer acts up while Im waiting Im off the list. So this is my dilemma, enjoy my good moment now and do tace when the tumor acts up until i die or choose transplant and the risks of rejection etc. I'm sure there are hundreds or more of transplant patients with good outcomes. I was hoping to hear from a few of them. What is their life like after transplant ? Anyone out there that would like to share, give me some reinforcement on my choice. At least for the moment I have a choice.

Newbie New User
    Hi Randal. Nice to meet you but very sorry about the circumstances. My dad is the reason I'm on this thread, diagnosed with HCC in June of this year after a metastasis caused a leg break. He's past the point of transplant with the metastasis, but I understand why you're struggling with your decision. My uncle is also currently battling HCC, but he did have a liver transplant 10 years ago. His outcome was quite positive, but he has it back again. At any rate, he got many more years because of the transplant, even though, as you say, it's a major undertaking. From his POV, he'd do it all over again. I think getting on the list sounds like a very good move, as long as you feel it's the right thing for you. I'm so sorry you have to make this decision. I wish my dad had the option, but I also feel we'd be asking many of the same questions and wondering about the same things you are.

All the best,

Jen