A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New diagnosis, sorta....

Question New diagnosis, sorta....

I can't believe it was just a week ago, but I made a "pilgrimage" to MD Anderson in Houston for a 2nd opinion from the leukemia department head, and his list of awards is staggering. He is also in his 60's even though he doesn't look that old, so he has a huge amount of of experience. Due to the fact that my Oncologist in New Orleans is in her mid to late 30's, I figured with me going so far off the beaten track as far as AML is concerned, I better ask somebody who has seen darn near "everything". Another patient in the waiting room with a good Texas accent asked me if I knew what the MD in MD Anderson stood for, and then told me it was "Most of the Day"!! Considering how freaking huge the cancer center at MD Anderson is, it was very well organized. When I got to meet him it was pretty clear I was talking to the "right guy", and in about 20 minutes he outlined my diagnosis and treatment options on a sheet of paper, and it's take a full week for some of this to sink in.

To review, my initial diagnosis was AML, 25% CD34 blasts, intermediate risk, with t(3:3) mutation. This was picked up by accident as the result of a pre-op physical for a total knee replacement, and I wasn't even aware I had leukemia. No sickness, no pains, mouth sores, infections, no nuthin! At the time I just figured it was a really lucky break that I had the physical, and in retrospect it looks like it was probably something far, far different. The 3+7 treatment also produced minimal side effects, with no mouth sores, no puking, or even an upset stomach. Then the roof fell in, my blast population exploded to 65%, and my doctor at the time told me that it was only because the leukemia ran out of space to grow while I still had enough white cells to barely survive. If I hadn't been at "the original" Mayo clinic at the time, I'm sure I would have died. When Dr. K. was discussing my AML, he used the term "Indolent", which I thought might have been a depreciating comment about my AML running off and hiding in some corner like lazy, homeless, drunk.

So I got up this morning and looked at the sheet of paper again, and there at the top of the page and circled were the words "Indolent Leukemia" . O.M.G...... That's a diagnosis! A far bit of Googling revealed that while "indolent lymphoma" was a fairly common thing which allowed patients to get sick, go through chemo, go into remission, and ultimately survive the disease into old age, there was no mention of indolent leukemia. Dr. K. had told me that it was not than uncommon a diagnosis, but seeing as he is probably one of the top 5 experts in the nation on leukemia, he has probably seen more cases than anybody else. My own oncologist had never heard the term before.

Considering my diagnosis after the 3+7 disaster was refractory leukemia straight up, and my survival with the azacitidine was a 1 in 20 shot that I made with seeming ease, I had thought that the only thing I really had to worry about was how long would this "quick fix" last? I have already referred to the course of my disease as being far out in left field, and then beyond the stadium itself, and finally being over the horizon so I couldn't even see the damn ballpark any more.

As far as next steps, I had a BMB on the 27th, and the results take a week or so. That will let me know if my blast count has gone up, stayed the same or gone down, and seeing as I feel fine as usual, it can't have changed much unless it decided to hit the 6% remission mark and disappear for a while. One option that Dr. K. gave me was to try adding venetoclax pills (YAY!! No needles!) to the azacitidine, and while it's only on label for lymphoma right now, it has been found to be just as useful for leukemia. The other possibility is to use targeted chemotherapy to attack the FLT3 and 1DM1 mutations which can yield a very high kill ratio without damaging healthy tissue. The one catch is that only 10% of the population have the enzymes necessary to provide markers for the chemo to attack and kill the mutations. That means I have to hit odds of 1 in 10. Hah!! Piece of cake!! Regardless of what the BMB shows, it's time to go in for the kill with one of these two options. I found out today that another patient is getting set up to get the pills, so I was added to the list.

As a result of these revelations, I'm now back in the stadium, but it appears to have been repurposed for an entirely new game! It smells like a combination of snooker and badminton!

In light of this new diagnosis, it might be argued that I no longer fully deserve the DMW handle, but I'm going to keep it for "sentimental reasons", and besides that the Mods would certainly not permit an "ointment in your fly" like me to start running around in here with clean slate!! BMB data will probably be up 1st week in August, along with enzyme marker test.
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; 07-29-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows blasts 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective
    12/4/17 Diagnosis: Uncontrolled refractory AML

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia are both indolent, manageable leukemias. They manifest completely differently, having either lymphocytes or myeloid cells as their originating cells. CLL is essentially identical to SLL, a lymphoma; the difference being in where they appear. CLL, in particular, is controlled, placed into long term remission by a breakthrough drug, Gleevec. Just how AML morphs into an indolent leukemia is a question for the ages. Although, cells that are not in a mitotic (dividing) process when treatment hits are often spared. Those may be slower dividing cells and so treatment can eliminate the aggressive cells while sparing the slower growing. Or... or... was it an indolent form that was pushed into aggression by treatment, as has been the case with follicular lymphomas?

Often along this road, there are more questions than answers. However, the conclusion in your case is indeed a game changer; a life changer. "Chronic/Indolent" is a blessing in disguise, as it indicates "time" and that time provides for newer, less toxic and more effective treatments to arrive.

As to your username, it seems that reports of your impending demise have been greatly exaggerated.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Thank you for the informed reply!!

Scenario #1 IIRC, there was one hell of a rush to get me into treatment once the AML was discovered, and so it was the result of a single BMB that caused the resulting chemoslide downhill. I had not had a blood test for at least a year previous to that, and it was only the combination of a barely out of spec RBC and WBC that triggered the biopsy. At this point there is no going back in reconstructing what might have been actually happening (or not happening...) in May of 2016, so I guess we'll never know if it was AML or CML that blew up on me. After talking to my wife - this is not an accurate assumption - The Mayo Clinic trusts no one, and so duplicated and verified the AML diagnosis!!

Scenario #2
    The BMB reports have been consistent with an AML CD34 t(3:3) mutation starting with 25%, blowing up to 65% with chemo, then down to 12% with 4 week cycles, and 16% with 5 week cycles, and the coming result will be back down to 4 week cycles. As such, it appears to be a question for the ages, which excludes Dr. Kantarjian, who says that Indolent Leukemia isn't all that rare. This means that the very peculiar smell of snooker and badminton is indeed rife upon the air, and the future is again open to interpretation.

Causality Scenario #1: I am one lucky S.O.B. !! I flew through the eye of an invisible needle to get where I am...

Causality Scenario #2: I came down to Louisiana last November to live out what was left of my life, and against some stiff odds, I quickly got a job doing Therapy Dog work, which is what I literally live for. The huge medical complex only had 3 small dogs for the whole facility, and so I provided some guidance for the Volunteer Manager to try and find more working teams. The day after my BMB last week the Manager informed me she had 3 teams from national Therapy Dog organizations signed up, and there were 4 more waiting in the wings! This complex sits literally right next to the North levy of the Mississippi, and we all know what happens when pressure on the outside of something manages to find a crack and get through it. Whatever is on the other side changes forever. The inside of the Ochsner complex will shortly have close to a dozen therapy dog teams working inside it, and after things start to change inside the hospital even more will come. Two unexpected but intertwined events less than a week apart happening in New Orleans, aka "The Big Easy", where "Da Fix" is always in. I have to get floor blueprints for the whole damn complex, to map out where all these therapy teams have to go, and who to see. Damn! That could take years before the situation is stable again. FYI: This https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9613.../data=!3m1!1e3 is what I have to sort out, map, and create a coverage plan for the teams to cover. The shortest buildings are 5 stories tall, there are two 11 story towers, and a 20 story tower under construction.

P.S. The venetoclax is on order. You start out with a dosipack type card for a week, and then it's one pill a day........
    Last edited by Dead Man Walking; 08-01-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective

All scenarios are better than what you were told last year. On the home front, it seems that my marrow may not have MDS at this point. A comfort, since 30% of MDS mutates into AML.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

DMW, what great news for you! Congratulations on your new lease on life. Remember that we are all "DMWs" as we journey through this life, there is simply no other destination other than that one. In the meantime, live, enjoy and celebrate you good fortune. I wish you many, many trips around the sun with your new chronic condition.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 67
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxan, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.
    August 2015 - physical exam in error, PET/CT shows no evidence of disease. Remission continues well into second year!
    December 2015 - Cardiologist tells me I have plaque buildup growing at an alarming rate. Stent or bypass down the road but not yet...
    March 2016 - new tumor below the jaw so remission is over. Back to active surveillance until treatment is needed.
    June 2016 - C/T scan indicates presence of multiple lesions in iliac chain.
    August 2016 - PET/CT shows multiple areas of lymphoma as expected plus new areas of concern in bowel.
    January 2017 - C/T scan shows significant progression in cervical and inguinal lymph chains, largest tumor is impacting hearing, measures 2.1x4.6 cm. 4 to 8 cycles of R-CVP, 1x3weeks to commence 2/6/17.
    April 2017 - Mid treatment scan shows about 1/3 reduction in multiple tumors. Also shows abdominal aortic aneurysm with peripheral thrombus. Cardiologist changed meds, spoke of need for surgical repair down the road.
    September 2017 - finished 10 rounds of R-CP, V was stopped due to neuropathy in feet. No further treatment planned at this time, at least 10 tumors can be felt which seem to be growing again.
    December 2017 - Biopsy of external iliac node with SUV of 13.1 shows no transformation! However, the FL grade is now 3A instead of Gr 1-2. Will start indefinite protocol using Copanlisib, one of the new targeted therapies. I remain hopeful.
    March 2018 - Copanlisib failed, treatment stopped 3/28. New plan is to go to Dana Farber on 4/16 for case review and treatment recommendation.

May 2018 - did not qualify for clinical trials at Dana Farber. Tumors need to get larger to be considered. On consultation w/Dr. Armand at DF and my onc, have decided to take a break from cancer treatments. Will have a biopsy of the mass in my sinus discovered in scan at DF and to get the aneurysm repaired as it has developed a potentially catastrophic penetrating ulcer. Surgery scheduled for 7/12.

September 2018 - biopsy of mass in nose shows transformed DLBCL throughout. Assessing options for this negative development.

October 2018 - started 6 to 8 cycles of R-CHOP. Goal is to get to full remission to open up other options.

February/March 2019 - PET shows four hot spots following R-CHOP. referred to Dana Farber for stem cell transplant. Pre testing all good, accepted for Auto Transplant. Will begin inpatient process about April 1.

Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    All scenarios are better than what you were told last year. On the home front, it seems that my marrow may not have MDS at this point. A comfort, since 30% of MDS mutates into AML.
    Your condition(S), in all their myriad variations, reminds me of a particularly expensive and complicated mechanical watch that strives to duplicate ALL rules governing the keeping of time, including leap years, which add a day every 4 years, turn of century leap years, where a day is NOT added in February, and 4 century century leap years, where a day IS added in February. As such, there is a very tiny gear inside the watch that turns once every 400 years. And you still ride your motorcycle on the curving and rain slicked roads of the Pacific Northwest, which means that none of your vast diagnosis may be relevant on any given day!! Makes sense to me......

Newbie New User
    What does intermediate risk mean ? My brother was told he's low to intermediate risk.
    I went today for HLA typing to find if I'm a match for BMT. My other brother is registered and my one sister will be registering. My other sister can't donate because she's diabetic due to insulin dependency.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresap14 View Post
    What does intermediate risk mean ? My brother was told he's low to intermediate risk.
    I went today for HLA typing to find if I'm a match for BMT. My other brother is registered and my one sister will be registering. My other sister can't donate because she's diabetic due to insulin dependency.
    In cases of lymphoma at least, there is an index which rates a patient's risk factors in treatment. Here is a link to the Wiki on the International Prognostic Index. I am high-intermediate risk, but have had a transplant, so the IPI barely applies to me.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

New Diagnosis. kinda, sorta, & Down the rabbit hole!!

In an attempt to further explore my new diagnosis of Indolent Leukemia (Hey, can I borrow a fiver until Friday?), I have been Googling "Indolent Leukemia" in multiple permutations, and came up with very little. If you Google "indolent" you gets lots of hits on lymphomas, but nothing on leukemia. Finally I thought I had hit pay dirt with this one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1065389 , and it made a lot of sense, and then I looked at the date: 1976??? I graduated with a B.S. in Chemistry two years earlier, and back then genetics was a wet-bench lab technique like the chemistry I did. Still, they had managed to show results that indicated that it was possible to cause the AML blasts to die and slow the disease down to crawl. The next surprise came from this article: https://www.mycancergenome.org/conte...rpn1-evi1/256/ and you can just read the top two lines of small print: I'm a 1%'er straight up! The last 3 BMB's showed the RPN1/MECOM signature as an abnormality, and the % appears to be growing with time!

Back in the summer/fall of 2016 I had looked at some of the fundamental risk categories for AML in a ~2009 cancer textbook, and it seemed to indicate that the t(3:3) mutation I had was intermediate risk, which seemed about right. Well, either the typesetting was off in that textbook, or I read it wrong! The t(3:3) was HIGH risk, and had the dual nastiness of sneering at the chemo and watching it wither and run away, and also the average lifespan was about 6 months! I had clinically verified the first part of that with a near-death experience, and the 2nd part was my diagnosis, right on the money! The good news, which was just a weird, was neither the 3+7 or the azacitidine made me puke, feel dead or anything else. Chemo week gave a "sorta" case of the blaahs and Annabelle and I still kept/keep working in the hospital. I also found the side effect list for azacitidine, and it's long and nasty. Good thing nobody ever told me about it! The other puzzle piece I was able to locate was some clinical evidence that despite the bad news about the t(3:3) being the kiss of death, some additional mitigating factors were found: Patients with inv(3)/t(3;3) and balanced t(3q21) at diagnosis presented with higher WBC and platelet counts. In multivariable analysis, only inv(3)/t(3;3), but not t(3q26) and t(3q21), predicted reduced relapse-free survival (hazard ratio [HR], 1.99; P < .001) and overall survival (HR, 1.4; P = .006). At 1st diagnosis I did present with higher WBC and platelet counts, so that good news applies to me.
    So it would appear that while the smell of snooker and badminton is still in the air, the stadium is nowhere in sight, and I have no idea where I am! I do have Dr. Kantarjian's email, however, and based on his diagnosis which is eerily prescient, I can ask for directions. There are a lot of gaps to be filled in, but it still appears that I have a good bit of time left. There is one intriguing aspect of all this, and AKAIK Dr. Kantarjian is about 4 years younger than me. As such, he probably got out of medical school in about 1975, and that original article from 1976 was probably "The NEW news" back then, so he MUST have seen it! Isn't time a funny old thing??

The only indolent myeloid leukemia is Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. The reason that so many papers are from the 70s is that the 1970s were the last time an advance against AML was made. Will have to study up some more on the leukemias, but it is possible that you might have had both AML and CML simultaneously. Or, the treatment killed the most aggressive clones, leaving only the slower growing variety. Or, you might be just another 1%er.
    02/09 2) Relapse.