A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Chemo break

Chemo break

In December 2016 I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer metastasized to liver. I have since completed 16 rounds of chemo, once every other week. Doctor is stating that we need to start building in breaks. This scares me. I understand why he says I need breaks and agree that each round is hitting me harder but I am in this for the win! How have you handled breaks?

Thanks!

Newbie New User
    Hi, I been through this twice now 2 breaks. Enjoy your break!!!! My docs says I will be on this chemotherapy ride forever and your body can't do It ongoing forever, it needs a break sometimes to recover from the poison called chemo! I try to plan my break in the summer, it gives me a break to recover and also ENJOY the summer!!!! I got myself a great job for my chemo break, I work on a headboat on lake Erie,as a first mate, yhelping the captain of the boat run the trip and help the customers catch walleyes and perch!!! I am having a great time doing this and also getting my health back to prepare for my next round of therapy! Try to plan your break to fit what you want and do it! Remember this is your life and this dam disease is going to kill you, all of us with disease know what is going to happen so use the time you have left the best way you can, get the most out of every second you have left! Somedays its gone a suck and you are going to feel like shit but deal with them, if you are lucky like me some days are pretty good so enjoy the hell out of these days!!, Keep up your spirits and have a positive attitude and outlook and try to enjoy everyday you have left with your friends and relatives.Good luck with your disease and I will say a few prayers for you!!

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquersAll View Post
    In December 2016 I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer metastasized to liver. I have since completed 16 rounds of chemo, once every other week. Doctor is stating that we need to start building in breaks. This scares me. I understand why he says I need breaks and agree that each round is hitting me harder but I am in this for the win! How have you handled breaks?

Thanks!
    Maybe this will make you feel better. I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer in July of 2014. I've been through 31 rounds of Chemo, 30 rounds of radiation and 2 SIRT procedures. I was NED late in 2015 only to have it come back in 2016 in the original spot in the colon. Since then 3 surgeries. Liver is clear. I have no evidence of disease and my ileostomy is reversed. So, just follow the medical path the doctors prescribe for you and know that stage 4 cancer isn't the death knell is used to be.