A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Stage 1A Grade 3 ovarian cancer

Newbie New User

Stage 1A Grade 3 ovarian cancer

I had a radical hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and my pathology surprised even my surgeon. I am stage 1A/grade 3 and am starting chemo on Thursday. I'd love to hear from any of you about how you tolerated the chemo and would particularly love to hear that it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. I'm having trouble finding anyone with my diagnosis: Stage 1A/Grade 3. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was my age and she, unfortunately died five years later. She was the person I loved most in the world and I can't help reliving her whole heartbreaking experience now. Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Experienced User
    Hi LBLG,

Welcome and I am so happy to hear that you have been found early. I have been initially diagnosed with Stage 1A Invasive Mucinous Adenocarcinoma. Since my diagnosis was based on the pathology report on my right ovary, my oncologist recommended that I proceed to full staging and I had a full hysterectomy on Aug 16th. In my initial discussion with the doctor there was no mention of chemo at Stage 1. However I have been preparing for my upcoming pathology report to indicate that it is time to move to chemo. There aren't many current ovarian cases in this forum, so I am thankful to have someone that I can share this with.

Are you able to share what kind of ovarian cancer you've been diagnosed with?

Newbie New User
    I was also diagnosed with a stage 1A mucinous adenocarcinoma of my right ovary in 2016. I am currently 2 years out from my initial diagnosis and surgery. Interestingly, my MD recommended I have 3 rounds of chemotherapy which I completed in 2017. I did not have a full hysterectomy though but this may be do to my age, 23 at the time, 25 years old now. You probably will not see this post since yours is from 2017 but if you happen to, please respond as I have been having increased anxiety about...everything. My doctor says that after being diagnosed, even with 1A, this is a common feeling.

Hope you are well Ingrid,
    Brittny

Hi Brittnlylee,

Welcome and you're right Ingrid will likely not see this post as it has been some time since she has been on here. To avoid confusion I will be closing this post however I encourage you to please start your own thread. There are a wonderful group of core ladies who watch for new thread and I am sure will be happy to respond to yours. Please take care and contact me if you have any questions ok?

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!