A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: mum in miserable condition :(:(

Newbie Regular User

mum in miserable condition :(:(

i am writing again as my mother is in very miserable condition at the moment and i seek opinion from you guys here.
    Brief history of mums cancer is
    - Approx. 6cm mass present at(near) head of pancreas along with other enlarged lymph nodes in abdomen and one in neck.
    -Doctors suggested Pancreatic Cancer stage 3 non operable at this stage.
    - Positive for CK7, CK19 and CEAp
    - Negative for CA19-9, CK20, CDX-2, PAX-8, GATA3, TTF-1, ER, and PR.
    The immunostainging profile is not entirely specific, but it is compatible with adenocarcinoma of pancreatico-biliary origin.
    - No major organ involved in metastasis except lymph nodes including supraclavicular lymph node (in neck)
    Oncologist put her Gemzar+abraxane 3 weeks on 15 days off. with the first chemo she got severe neuropathy pain, dire, vomitting and she ended
    up in hospital for couple of days. 2nd chemo just changed our world, rushed her to hospital again, she developed severe mucositis from mouth to rectum, mouth sores, throat sore,abdomen sore,piles. She went in extreme pain, WBC goes down to 600, platelets 25000, she is coughing up blood now since yesterday (alot of sputum coming out) and partially unconscious and cry due to pain when she wakes up. Doctors has put her to pain killers
    and moaning in her sleep, we are really upset to see her and feeling so helpless. Doctors are trying to raise her WBC and Platelet at the moment.
    I dont know if its cancer or severe side effect of chemo, please share your views

Experienced User
    My dad said that the chemo would kill him before the cancer (he did 2 rounds of chemo). The chemo can be brutal and to me it sounds like she is having the side effects of the chemo. It is heartbreaking to hear how she is in so much pain and extremely uncomfortable. It must be extremely difficult for you to see.
    Jan 15, 2016 Father went to the ER with extreme abdominal pain...
    Jan 16, 2016 unofficially diagnosed with pancreatic cancer stage IV in the tail, too many mets in his liver to count, spleen and lung.
    Folfirinox-2 doses in February 2016
    March 2016-discont. chemo
    Apr 2016 severe onset of diabetes
    June 15, 2016 Celebrated he/my mom's 47th Wedding Anniversary eating pier fries/fried dough (I think this was his goal...to live to make it 47 years)
    June 15th, 2016 at 11:00 PM experienced sharp abdominal pain not managed with pain meds at home
    June 16th, 2016 at 3am went into the hospice home for pain management (walked into the facility).
    June 16th, 2016 by 11am...we learned this would be where he would spend his last days (shocked because at 9am he took a few sips of coffee)
    June 17th, 2016 at 8:20 pm...sun was setting, windows were open, birds chirping, my mom/me/my brother were all by his side with our hands on his body as he took his last breath at 68 years old.

Blog Entries
    There are some severe reactions to chemo like this. Gemzar especially has a severe reaction in a small number of patients.
    Usually side effects from tumor growth is more slow than this.
    If she gets well again and wants to try chemo, I'd consider completely different drugs.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - Radiation+Xeloda, 25 days in 5 weeks
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-Dec 2016 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789