A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My Appointment is a week away but I need answers on my symptoms!!

My Appointment is a week away but I need answers on my symptoms!!

This is my first post, so hi! I'm kyleigh! I'm 21 years old and a mom of an (almost) 3 year old.

I went to the doctor about 4 1/2 months ago for feelings of general unwellness, and extremely swollen neck & groin lymphnodes as well as a decreased appetite and fatigue. My fill in doctor ran a flow cytometry. She was worried it was lymphoma.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I went in because I had been ignoring my doctors calls to come in and my symptoms were simply unbearable. I lost 20 lbs (15 of which in the few weeks before my appointment). My lymphnodes were still slightly swollen, I couldn't eat, drink, I was blacking out. Chest pain, night sweats, blurred vision, blood in my urine-all of which I'm still experiencing. My doctor decided to run a CBC as she was worried it was leukemia. She refferred me to a hematologist/oncologist right away. I made the appointment but it's still a week away and I've been waiting a few weeks already as the doctor has been away on vacation.

My blood results showed extremely high C-reactive protein, my WBC count is only 9,900, low lymphocytes, high neutrophils and RDW was high, and I think those were the only remarkable things that I can think of. All numbers increased in the few months between blood tests. The nurse called and said my WBC count was high before I saw the results but I guess to me it doesn't seem abnormal? I'm just confused as to why they think it's leukemia..and do my symptoms and results point to anything else?? I feel as if SOMETHING is definitely wrong with me as these symptoms have been ongoing for months now and are worsening but how confident are they that leukemia is the cause? Help I'm panicking!

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of this. It may be autoimmune, as those are far more common than cancers, and can produce the same symptoms. There is nothing - nothing - to do except wait and keep very busy with life. That young one should be enough to keep you busy! If you cannot stop panicking, researching and worrying, then ask doctor about anxiety and what the appropriate measures to take would be. Anxiety is the modern epidemic.

Remember: You do not have cancer until a pathology report says you have cancer.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

With your high CRP reading sarcoidosis is not out of the mix...it also ties in with your symptoms.

The tests will show you soon enough what you have...hang in there, don't panic and do let us know how it all pans out.

Good luck
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Okay so I forgot my password for my account. My appointment is in the morning. I did wake up with a bloody nose a few days ago which everyone is chalking up to allergies which I've never gotten before BUT I hope it's just dry air. I also have a super painful tender swollen spot (which happens to be where the superclavicar lymphnode is) but it's tender to the touch..super tender. My best friend is attending the appointment with me tomorrow. Any idea of what to expect at the oncologists/hematologist? It's my first initial appointment I'm not sure if they'll just do an overview and then I'll wait for blood work results at a follow up or if everything will be done that day?? They wouldn't do a bone marrow tomorrow right?

Tender nodes are normally not malignant. So, relax a bit there. Your symptoms are all over the map! For perspective, I never had such widespread symptoms, and I have had two lymphomas with two relapses, stage IV twice and probably 100 tumors total, as well as marrow and small intestine involvement. Other than the normal "B" symptoms when it first arrived, I had autoimmune symptoms at relapse - but this was a very rare sub-type that the original lymphoma mutated into: total body rash, arthritis pain, shortness of breath, anemia and a few others.

The hematologist will have to examine you after having read your file. Marrow? In my mind, that is the last thing doctor might do, unless leukemia is strongly suspected. It carries its own risks, and many lymphomas remain outside of the marrow. Expect a lot of conversation, some examination and perhaps additional blood testing. Remember that the hematologist is expert at recognizing and locating lymphoma. If doubt is expressed to you, be happy!

You may have a mystery illness that is never diagnosed - that happens. In such cases, what you want is for it to go away. Doctors are very pleased when such unknown illnesses resolve on their own, as they can not treat what is unknown - only its symptoms.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Thankyou for all of the helpful replies! The hematologist was slightly annoyed that I had not seen an ENT prior to visiting her office. That was just the order my doctor had done things and it's hardly my fault it was done that way! But she ordered more blood work & CT scan all of which we will go over the results of on the 4th. She had mentioned cervical cancer ( purely just mentioned ) because my mother had it in her 20s (she passed away from a multitude of health problems though at 2 and the doctor was irritated that I had not done any genetic testing. She said my blood work was normal (I suppose the things marked high were not that high) I'm not sure. We shall see I'll keep you guys posted!

I think you need a doctor that is not so easily irritated! You might consider a change, as one should never fear offending a doctor for doctor's sake. We are there for our sake. Does any of the blood work mention the SED (Sedimentation) rate or LDH (Lactate dehydrogenase)? Elevated levels of each can help in directing the diagnostic procedure. In some cases, they are consistent with a malignancy, but certainly do not diagnose it. They can also indicate many other conditions.

Still, you need a doctor that is interested, active and friendly.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

You are so right! She made me feel so unwelcome like I was just a bother. I just want answers! I did not see any of those things on blood work done at my regular physicians office, however I'm not sure what type of tests she ordered at her office. I was also wondering if the tech doing the CT would show me my images after? Just to see? I know they can't say anything or even MENTION what is going on as that's up to my doctor but I'm just curious..my appointments are so far between that some type of direction would be nice. On my form for the CT she wrote as the primary reason "staging" and I'm kind of curious why she chose that? Maybe just the technicalities but..hey, I can't help but worry! You've been so lovely chatting with me about it all! I really appreciate it! One FINAL thing though that's just started a few days ago..I had that pain in my collar bone. Well the pain is gone however from midchest under the collar bone all the way to almost my elbow and the back of my arm almost to my shoulder blade (only on the left side) is numb. No matter if I'm active if I'm sleeping if I'm standing, sitting. It hasn't went away since that day. I could poke any spot in the area and simply not feel it. I'm confused?

In the meantime, please try to avoid the very human and natural tendency to lump all aches and pains together. We have them anyway, and some of them are caused by the stress of this whole situation. Remember Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz? "There's no place like home. There's no place like home..."

Here, we say "I do not have cancer until a pathology report says I have cancer." Try it!
    02/09 2) Relapse.