A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Help!

Newbie New User

Help!

I saw that there was a "worried about cancer" thread, but I'm hoping to gain insight from those of you that have had an ovarian cancer diagnosis. Here are my symptoms and a little background: I am 38, a mother of 4, and a partial hysterectomy 3 years ago that took my uterus and R ovary due to extreme pain and suspicion of ovarian cancer. It turned out fine. But about a year ago, I started having severe bloating and indigestion/heartburn like all of the time! I didn't think much of it-thought maybe had to do with my body adjusting to the roomier accommodations in that area of my body. That has hung around, and then starting in June, the bloating pain got so bad I thought my husband was going to have to race me to the hospital! I slept on it, and it felt slightly better the next day. Since that time, I have also suffered from consistent nausea-like take your appetite away nausea as well as urinary urgency. And to add to that, the past 8 days have also consisted of severe diarrhea (sorry-tmi-just creating a full pic). I had a cyst on my left ovary found through an u/s in July, and just had a follow up which shows it is still there. My doctor is saying that she doesn't think any of my symptoms have to do with my cyst or possible cancer, but am terrified that it does! All of those symptoms seem to be on every list of ovarian cancer that I've seen. Also have been running a low fever (only 99) recently. I just feel at a loss, and my OB is behaving like she has no idea what I'm talking about. Any thoughts based on this info? Doctors I should follow up with besides what appears to be my clueless one?!?

Dear Momofccmr,
    Sorry but our forum policy is that unless you have a confirmed diagnosis of cancer, your post gets placed into the Worried forum. Now please don't worry, others will see that your post has been redirected into this area and can either still click on the link and be redirected here or just come onto the worried section. Either way you will actually have more exposure here.
    I am sorry for your concerns. I am glad the previous time everything turned out well too. Now I am NOT a dr but if your drs are telling you that your symptoms are not raising concerns that should be comforting. And actually to me it sounds like you gallbladder. If you are googling symptoms please stop. If you google symptoms of a stubbed toe, google will tell you that you have cancer. Google never went to med school, knows none of your history, never examined you so how can you trust a machine to diagnosis you? There are so many factors that need to be considered and google does not do that. only a human can.
    You sound very scared and anxious. Has this been a concern for you before? Maybe you should you talk to you talk about this. If you are still concerned about your symptoms why not get a second opinion. As you may already know from your previous experience cancer can only be confirmed for a biopsy.
    I hope you find your answers and that they are something much more simple and easy to fix like a gallbladder that needs to come out.
    Wishing you all the best,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Super Moderator Top User
    Ovarian cysts are extremely common; most women get them. Your problem sounds like it could be a food intolerance. Have you been tested for that?

Newbie New User
    No I haven't-have never had a food intolerance issues, and my symptoms are consistent no matter what I eat. This is the only cyst I have had-so we will see where it goes. Thank you for your response!

Newbie New User
    Thank you so much for your insight, Jodie-I appreciate it. The fact that the symptoms are accompanied by an ovarian cyst is what led me in that direction, but I do understand it may be something else entirely. The worry over it comes more from the fact that I have felt sick for months and can't seem to get an answer other than the fact that I have a cyst. We will see where it goes-just tired of feeling ill. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Momofccmr; 09-08-2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Adding a name

Super Moderator Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Momofccmr View Post
    No I haven't-have never had a food intolerance issues, and my symptoms are consistent no matter what I eat. This is the only cyst I have had-so we will see where it goes. Thank you for your response!
    Pardon my mentioning it, but if you've never had a (detected) cyst before and you've never had a food intolerance before, and you've also never had ovarian cancer before, then why fixate on the most lethal option? The first two are far more common, even in people who've never had them before.
    Last edited by GBMsibling; 09-09-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo

Regular User
    The worry over it comes more from the fact that I have felt sick for months and can't seem to get an answer other than the fact that I have a cyst. We will see where it goes-just tired of feeling ill. Thanks again.
    One thing I can do is sympathize with you over feeling the way you do and not being able to find out why . I have gone through the same thing for the last few years and thought maybe my cancer diagnoses would finally be an answer to my chronic intestinal issues . Still a really slim chance of that , but it looks more like it isn't . Like you, the symptoms have been so bad I have been to the ER and even hospitalized for them , Even though they find many small things they have never been able to say just what the cause is . I have been through all the , you need to stop eating or drinking this or that , you need to take this med , it is stress etc. and changing those things hasn't done much good .The best you can do is find a Dr that will investigate by checking a lot of things ( food intolerance is one of them ) to rule them out . It is very frustrating to be sick all the time and not be able to find out why but maybe you will get lucky and they will find something definitive for you, but be prepared to hear a lot of "we cant find any thing wrong " .

I too had many problems for almost 8 months. I was never concerned it was cancer because so many tests had been run. They finally decided to do a hysterectomy because nothing was helping. It turned out I had a large fibroid tumor that never showed up in any of the tests. They were so shocked. Have they ever mentioned a hysterectomy? In my case that solved my problem. But they may have, as in my case, a protocol they must follow before they do this IF they do it.
    Have you considered a second opinion? I was lucky to have a kind, caring gynecologist. It was frustrating because it took so long. He finally just said it was time for the hysterectomy because I could not continue to live like I was. I couldn't even leave the house. My husband and I talked and decided, for me, this was the right decision.
    Good luck. God bless.....
    Last edited by Marian333; 09-19-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.