A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: BobInBonita and Hurricane Irma

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Blog Entries

    Exclamation BobInBonita and Hurricane Irma

    I'm asking you all to keep our co-moderator BobInBonita in your thoughts and prayers as his home is now in the direct path of hurricane Irma, scheduled to pass over him Sunday (tomorrow) around 4pm (Eastern US).

    I have not heard from him and don't expect to as I'm sure that he's quite occupied and possibly already without power. They also could have evacuated.

    He has posted before that he is often tired, taking naps for extended periods and on 24-hour oxygen. Hopefully he and Marj have had adequate time to prepare as the hurricane track only recently changed to his side of the state. In one of his last postings, he talked about a home project that he and Marj worked on - replacing the floor of their home office. I hope it does not get wet!

    This will be a trying time for anyone. Marj will need the strength of three!
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - Radiation+Xeloda, 25 days in 5 weeks
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2018 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789

  2. #2
    Thanks, David. My prayers are with Bob and Marj.
    By the way, did you see the PanCan support?

    February 2016- diagnosed with PC
    March 2016- inoperable due to arteries, also liver mets suspected
    March 2016-January 2017 -Gemzar/Abraxane
    February 2017 surgery-PC tumour and liver mets removed at same time

  3. #3
    Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Keeping Bob & his loved ones in my prayers.
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Six annual post-op exams 2012 through 2017: PSA <0.1
    Semi-firm erections 5 years post-op whenever the moon turns into blue cheese.
    NOTE: ED caused by BPH, not the surgery.

  4. #4
    He is in my prayers. We are on the East Coast waiting for Cat. 1 weather. My family is in direct path. Praying Bob and wife are safe.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.

  5. #5
    Senior User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    I wish I can send direct message to him and Marj, My prayes always with them.


  6. #6
    Experienced User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Hope we get some good news from Bob

  7. #7
    Experienced User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Hope you are okay Bob!
    9/16-68 year old husband diagnosed with Stage 3 unresectable pancreatic cancer
    9/16-12/16- Folfirinox 6 rounds of treatment
    12/16-CT scan, no signs of disease and normal tumor markers
    1/17-2/17- IMRT radiation 28 treatments with Xeloda
    3/17- CT scan, no signs of disease and normal tumor markers
    5/17- CT scan, no signs of disease
    7/31/17- Pathology report: "No residual tumor, complete response to treatment, grade 0. T0N0M0. NED
    8/17-CA 19-9 254
    10/17-CA 19-9 537
    11/14/17- CT scan mets to the liver-3
    11/17-Started Gemzar/Abraxane
    12/17-1/18-Hospitalized for pneumonia and bilateral pleural effusions, chest tubes placed. Needed 2 units of blood due to low hemoglobin
    2/18- Ca 19-9 went down from 4611 to 158
    3/18-CT scan, 2 liver lesions shrunk and one is gone
    3/11/18-fractured femoral neck
    3/14/18-pleurx catheter placed in right lung to drain pleural effusion
    3/15/18-hemiorthoplasty to repair left hip fracture

  8. #8
    Senior User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Thinking of you, Bob, and hoping you are ok.

    I think of you a lot. Even I don't post here much any more I always come back to check on you.
    You and your wife are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    12/17/2012 Father diagnosed with 5 x 3.8 cm malignant tumor on head of pancreas
    12/19/2012 Father's birthday.
    12/21/2012 Father hospitalized with severe abdominal pain and jaundice, pending stent
    12/24/2012 Plastic bile duct stent successfully installed, biopsy taken
    12/31/2012 Tumor confirmed as pancreatic adenocarcinoma
    1/17/2013 Chemo (Gemcitabin/5-FU/Leucovorin) and IMRT radiation has finally begun.
    February - another hospitalization for weakness and dehydration
    March - bad PET scan showing mets all over liver abdominal cavity
    3/15/2013 - first round of GemCis chemo, last ditch attempt to reverse the decline
    3/17/2013 - hospitalized with sepsis and anemia from internal bleeding.
    4/3/2013 - came home under hospice care
    4/15/2013 - made his final tax protest and left us peacefully at 9 PM, in front of a television history of the NY Mets

  9. #9
    Newbie Top User BobInBonita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Thank you all for the thoughts wishes and prayers.

    The "Bonita" in my screen-name is indeed Bonita Springs, and yes, we were dealt a pretty good blow by Irma. Our particular location reportedly had 110 mph winds for a couple of hours as the storm approached from the South, and then a couple of more hours of lesser winds from the opposite direction as it departed to the North.

    Marj was absolutely a trouper in keeping me in line during the ordeal. I tend to bite off more than I can handle and need reigning in.

    Hospice had arranged for registration in a special needs shelter (that was also "pet friendly". Unfortunately as we were packing supplies, the news reports started coming in of evacuees waiting for hours at the shelter before they could get in. They were originally predicting up to a 16 foot storm surge, extending miles inland around the storms path. Everyone was encouraged to evacuate but if you chose to stay, to be in at least a second floor location. We contacted a snowbird friend who owns a 2nd floor townhome and asked if we could stay. Along with another couple we spent the next several nights there. Fortunately, Jan is a PA so I had excellent personal medical care from her, great joviality with her husband Paul, and of coourse Marj doting over me. The choice seemed easy at the time - an easy ride for a day or two at a friends home or being packed into a shelter shlepping three cat carriers, a litter box, Marj's blow-up bed (they provided a cot for the patient) and miscellaneous "supplies".

    As the storm passed, our confidence in the construction of our friends townhome might not have been to the same standard as we would have found at the shelter. We had also become complacent over the years. While we made a list and brought a good supply of flashlights, batteries, radios, etc, we had not cross checked with our friends and we nearly duplicated supplies - right down to radios with dead batteries.

    Almost everyone in the community had made the other choice and evacuated out of the area or to a shelter. We didn't see more than a couple of people with their Hummers having great times going over mounds of branches and trees taken down. The day after that we had pulled enough debris out of the way to finally make attempts at getting back home (and have new sympathy for rats trying to find their way through a maze. Many of the streets were still blocked so what would have been a slow 5 minute direct drive turned into a 45 minute stress test.

    We got back to our homes on Tuesday to find no major damage, the biggest was most of the screening torn off our lanai "cage". No water infiltration from above or below! Power was still out, so no AC and the lift stations that people in flat areas need to move wastewater across miles to treatment plants weren't running. A bucket, some scrap wood, plastic bags, and a very rudimentary outdoor privy was operational. (Kitty litter works well for human waste - you just need more.)

    Terrible food waste was avoided by cooking most food on the grill as it thawed. We probably lost about half of the contents of both our indoor fridge and the chest cooler in the garage. Power and AC came ack on on Wednesday afternoon, so we could finally get some restful sleep.

    I had had a significant medication reaction just before all of this that led to confusion, delusion, and hallucinations. Interesting to have experienced, but would rather not repeat the experience. Pulling the offending med got me back to near normal just before the storm hit.

    AAnyway, Thank you again to all who have sent good wishes (in whatever form) our way. Hopefully, energy level will return at least a little now that the stress of the moment has passed.
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

    Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.

  10. #10
    Administrator Top User Kermica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Bob, I am glad to hear that you and Marg weathered the storm without significant damage to your property. You remain an inspiration to many, Bob. I am sending good thoughts your way on a daily basis.

    Good health,



Similar Threads

  1. Hurricane Sally
    By ChemoMan in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM
  2. Hurricane
    By MumTo3 in forum Lymphoma - Hodgkin's and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts