A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Uterine stage III, rec'd radiation + chemo; DR has no plans for hysterectomy...odd?

Newbie New User

Uterine stage III, rec'd radiation + chemo; DR has no plans for hysterectomy...odd?

Hello from Maryland.

I am 66 and consider myself quite healthy other than the "Big One"...diagnosed in Jan with Stage III uterine/cervical adenocarcinoma (one large 7cm tumor at fundus of the uterus and one paraaortic lymph node mass.) My oncologist did not consider me a good candidate for either debulking surgery or a hysterectomy as initial treatment.

I received straightaway a 5 week span of daily pelvic radiation + chemo, and high-dose vaginal brachytherapy.

Eight weeks after ending the above therapies, an uptake PET scan showed excellent response - no live evidence of disease. I had anticipated still facing having a hysterectomy after the radiation + chemo (rather than before) and am surprised that the doctor tells me "not necessary unless I insist".

Given that hysterectomy is the most common intervention for uterine cancer, I'd appreciate hearing from others who may have same situation - no hysterectomy, but yes on the radiation and chemo.

PS: I am thinking of this as my "honeymoon period", where everything looks rosy and you just go on your merry way in life...waiting for the statistically possible relapse-to-come.

Welcome Sail-on and congratulation on the NED!!!

While i cannot comment on your question I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Sometime this area can be a little quiet but do check back often for responses.

Wishing you continued good success and health.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Experienced User
    I am not familiar with your treatment plan, but perhaps your team can help you find others who have had similar regimens? Wishing you an extended "honeymoon"!
    Intermediate Risk Endometriod Cancer: Stage 1a Grade 2 some lymphvascular space invasion, DaVinci surgery December 2014, Brachytherapy February 2015

Newbie New User
    Hi SailOn

I was diagnosed with Stage 2 and Grade 3 endometriod adenocarcinoma last year, had modified hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, omentectomy and bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy. I was also given chemotherapy (5 cycles of Cisplatinum and 3 cycles of Carboplatnin), 25 radiations and brachytherapy. Given the advance staging of tumor, I had no choice but go for the surgery.

Newbie New User
    Hi, sounds great you got to NED. I was also stage 3 grade 3 with large tumors and was given the choice to have surgery or start with chemo and then see, however I insisted on surgery and had that. The other posters had lower stages and probably smaller tumors and for that surgery is always the first step, but with a large tumor it may be better without surgery (that often spreads and accelerate cancer if all cannot be removed) first and since you are now NED, there is no reason for surgery at least yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SailOn View Post
    Hello from Maryland.

I am 66 and consider myself quite healthy other than the "Big One"...diagnosed in Jan with Stage III uterine/cervical adenocarcinoma (one large 7cm tumor at fundus of the uterus and one paraaortic lymph node mass.) My oncologist did not consider me a good candidate for either debulking surgery or a hysterectomy as initial treatment.

I received straightaway a 5 week span of daily pelvic radiation + chemo, and high-dose vaginal brachytherapy.

Eight weeks after ending the above therapies, an uptake PET scan showed excellent response - no live evidence of disease. I had anticipated still facing having a hysterectomy after the radiation + chemo (rather than before) and am surprised that the doctor tells me "not necessary unless I insist".

Given that hysterectomy is the most common intervention for uterine cancer, I'd appreciate hearing from others who may have same situation - no hysterectomy, but yes on the radiation and chemo.

PS: I am thinking of this as my "honeymoon period", where everything looks rosy and you just go on your merry way in life...waiting for the statistically possible relapse-to-come.