A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Longterm Prognosis

Newbie New User

Longterm Prognosis

Dear Members,

Need your help!

My mother has been diagnosed with Stage IV-B Cervical Cancer in July 2017. She was almost asymptomatic through out. She was detected to have a possible CIN -III back in 2015 and just to cover all bases, she underwent a radical hysterectomy. But a routine X-Ray showed nodules in lungs which led to a CT followed by a biopsy to confirm Cancer. Her cancer was deemed Stage IV as it has already been metastasized to both Lungs (multiple nodules) and Liver (one large lesion).

She is now half way through her Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxol + Avastin combo).

Doctor ordered a PET Scan before we began 4th round of chemo which showed good progress and necrosis was visible in almost all lesions.

Now that we know she is responding well, Doctor said almost all of the lesions and nodules may disappear at the end of 6th cycle.

I am wondering if you have seen or heard of long term prognosis of cases with good response to chemo. Do you know if this period will last for a while before we see the mutation again?

Any inputs are highly appreciated regarding long term prognosis.

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis but it is great she is responding well.

I am sorry but I myself have not had experience with a situation like this but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. Other members may hop in here but please be patient as it tends to be a little quiet here so check back often ok?

All the best to your mom and you,

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Senior User
    Hi, I wish I had some answers for you. What does your mom's doctor say about her longterm prognosis? The fact that she is responding so well to chemo is very hopeful. I was treated 2 years ago for stage II cancer and so far have remained cancer free. I hope your mom continues to do well.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    Hi there,

So sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis but it is great she is responding well.

I am sorry but I myself have not had experience with a situation like this but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. Other members may hop in here but please be patient as it tends to be a little quiet here so check back often ok?

All the best to your mom and you,

Jodie
    Thanks Jodie.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydog View Post
    Hi, I wish I had some answers for you. What does your mom's doctor say about her longterm prognosis? The fact that she is responding so well to chemo is very hopeful. I was treated 2 years ago for stage II cancer and so far have remained cancer free. I hope your mom continues to do well.
    Hello Sandy,

Awesome to hear about you kicking cancer's butt. You go girl!

Primary Oncologist says every mutation is different and so is every patient in the way they respond. He says we keep a close watch for anything and pray. That is why I wanted to know if anyone could share details on how things went with them in this type of situation.

Senior User
    Thank you!
    Monitoring closely is really important. If your mom notices anything different or off, she should share that with her doctors. Does she like her oncologist and feel comfortable speaking with them? Is she in good spirits? Eating ok? I hope others will chime in with more helpful info.