A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My Father Just Diagnosed With Stage 4

Newbie New User
    Good to hear!! I'm hoping my mom follows the same path! I'll keep him in my prayers!

Experienced User
    i will keep your mom in my prayers as well!
    Hugs - Sasha
    Daughter to a rockstar dad with stage 4 lung cancer

Senior User
    Hello Sasha,

How is your Dad?
    How are you?
    How are the rest of your tribe?

Is your rockstar Dad's getting all the HUGS he needs?

Regards, zim

Experienced User
    For the past few days I have been noticing that my dads eyes were yellowing and he looked weak overall. I would ask him if he was okay and he would say he was fine. The one day as we were coming out of the elevator he said to me "he's getting his weight back and how he knew was that sometimes when he stands he almost feels like he could fall forward."

When he said that statement something clicked into my head and I told him he needed to get checked out. So after a 9 hour wait at the super busy hospital, it turns out that he has swelling of the brain.

I tried to make sure that he wasn't panicking about finding this out especially since they want to keep him overnight. I assured him that atleast its something that he has dealt with before. They had him on some steroids to reduce the swelling in the early stages of his diagnoses. So I just tried to make him feel comfortable and calm by saying hey all you need are some steroids and u will be home in no time.

I hope they don't keep him long. Its the 1 year anniversary of him finding out he had cancer. I just don't want his progress to go backwards. Sorry for the long story but Im going to try and get some sleep and Ill update in the morning.

-Sasha

I am sorry about this recent development Sasha. Please never feel bad about posting what's going on. We are here to listen and support. It is important for you to have a place to talk about all of this freely; to just get it all out. You have that place here. Thinking of you and your dad.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Experienced User
    Update:
    My dad was admitted and it turned out he has swelling in the brain. The doctors are very confused as to what may have cause this because he looks great and said he was feeling good. The ended up putting him on steroids starting October 20th. Some time went by and they checked him out and the symptoms he was having prior had gone away and the steroids were doing its job.

Fast forward to today he had an appointment and everything showed to be great! Even the tumors in his head were diminishing and some of the smaller ones were gone completely. We went home feeling really good. Then just a few hours later the doctors said they discovered something in the liver and they are not sure if its from the Tagrisso. They even asked if my dad was consuming alcohol and he most definitely is not. My dad doesn't drink. Im kind of hoping that it isn't anything new Im praying that maybe its something old that was missed. They want him to stop taking the medication and do some scans this week. Im trying my best to comfort my dad as much as I can and assure him that its nothing and let the doctors do their job. So far they have been excellent in every aspect and our family is grateful to be in their care.

I just feel like if it was truly something substantial wouldn't he be feeling sicker?
    Wouldn't he have more symptoms?
    Wouldn't he be losing weight instead of gaining?

He's literally walking around and feeling like his old self again.

In my heart I honestly feel like its something old. He previously had a blood clot in that area that was addressed with blood thinners. Could there still be some clotting? Ugh I just have all these thoughts running through my mind.

I need to find something good to watch on Netflix to clear my head. I like shows like Once Upon A Time, The Magicians, and you know any other fairytale/magic type stuff. (I know Im such a cornball! lmao) But seriously... Any Suggestions? lol

Experienced User
    Its tough not being able to let my emotions out since he's here with me. I never want him to see me crying or hear me cry so I just kind of bottled everything up. You guys are the only ones I have to talk to and Im thankful for you all. I consider u guys my extended family. Love you all! -Sasha

Oh Sasha!
    Yes our mind is sometimes a bad thing. Why we always think about the bad. I got something for you, see i had beside my LC , one big one in the brain, its gone now due to surgery, and also they found a spot on my liver, i don't drink also. Then new CT , still there , then ultrasound and they did not find it. Next CT still there only 4mm, and now? It's gone after almost a year. So whatever it was, i killed it lol. So please don't give up thinking positive.
    Enjoy your movies!!! Petra
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    August 18, all still same, living life every day
    Fingers crossed

The road your dad travels, the one you travel with him, is hard. Full of potholes. Sometimes we can't avoid them. All we can do is travel the road the best we can. We still try to enjoy life and make happy memories along the way. When we hit those potholes we do our best to recover and carry on. Still I am sorry you have hit this pothole. I hope your dad and you recover well from it and can continue on in the great fashion things have been going in until now. Strength and comfort to you and your dad.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED