A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Scared while my wife is pregnant

Newbie New User

Scared while my wife is pregnant

Hi all,

My wife is currently pregnant and I am very nervous...she had her last pap prior to the pregnancy three years ago and all was fine. However, during the routine pap when we were about 8 weeks pregnant it came back HSIL (high grade changes). We were sent to an oncologist who did a coloscopy...she did not want to biopsy given it was the first trimester but said we should later on. As we left she mentioned she didn't notice anything that looked invasive though...just the high grade lesion.

We then had to move out of state (setting up a new life for the baby). Due to this we had a delay, but booked our new OB-GYN as soon as we could. We are now 24 weeks pregnant, and the new OB-GYN just got the records transferred to her finally and decided to do the colposcopy for us last Friday. Because she is not an oncologist, she also didn't biopsy but told us she was concerned. She mentioned my wife's bleeding during the procedure prevented her form see as much as she wanted to, but she may be worried about some abnormalities in the cervical canal...but again can't tell. She then referred us to an oncologist here and mentioned we should get a biopsy at this point, and said they may want to do a cone biopsy as well. My research on this makes me worry though...does this sound like cancer? Would a cone biopsy even be safe as we near the third trimester? I freaked out and called her back Friday night asking if she was saying we had cancer and she said no, but that she also can't dismiss what she saw either. The new oncologist's office is proving to be terrible to deal with, as they have not booked anything for us yet and I've called every morning since Monday...so hoping someone here has some advice.

Let me know what you think, thanks so much all!

Senior User
    The colposcopy should have determined if the cells are cancerous or not. Are you waiting on those results? In my case, it was a regular OBGYN who confirmed cancer then referred me to a gyn onc, who saw me the next business day. Maybe you're having trouble booking that initial appointment because you haven't recieved the lab results yet- or have you? Sorry if I misread.

Newbie New User
    Thanks for responding sandydog! The initial colposcopy did not, she said "doesn't look invasive to me but need biopsy later in pregnancy," which she asked us to get done sooner than we have. This new OB-GYN did it just last Friday, and didn't say cancer...in fact when I called her back she said "I don't want it to become cancer" so I am hoping that means it definitely isn't However, given that she referred us to a new oncologist and said they may want to do a biopsy or cone biopsy I got worried. Unfortunately we are not getting very lucky with the new oncologists office so far, as they said she is in surgeries all week and we may be able to get an appointment in the next couple of weeks which seems ridiculous to me, but our regular OB-GYN said that is fine with her.

I think the main problem is that given we are pregnant, neither colposcopy has yielded a biopsy yet...so we don't have results to wait on.

I hope this helps clarify, thanks so much again for responding! Let me know if this makes sense.

Senior User
    OK, I think I understand your timeline. I'm not sure what they will do now while she is pregnant. Maybe someone else could speak to that.

To give you some peace of mind, I was told cervical cancer isn't fast moving and I've seen on this board that sometimes abnormalities clear up on their own after pregnancy and child birth. If you are still concerned, could she try to see a different onc sooner?

Newbie New User
    Thank you for the reassuring words, I agree that we should see a different oncologist if I don't hear back by tomorrow.

Senior User
    You're welcome. I'll be hoping for the best outcome. Please keep us updated.

Newbie New User
    Do not worry too much. I'm sure that if the OB-GYN has seen something abnormal that needs urgent attention, she would tell you. I also suggest that you go to a different onc

Newbie New User
    Thanks Lucy! We are scheduled for next Wednesday and I will be sure to keep you all updated.