A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Need recommandations for purchasing a medical personal alarm

Newbie New User

Question Need recommandations for purchasing a medical personal alarm

Hi all,

My dad had just been diagnosed with lung cancer.

I'm looking for an alarm he could wear on his wrist or neck, with a panic push button and fall detection, and that just emits sound alarm. We don't want it to be connected to any support center, since there is always someone with him in the house.

I couldn't find a good reference on the internet, for they are all monthly payed support center connected devices.

I would greatly appreciate that you could give me some recommendations.

Best Regards,

Ashley.

I think they all come with support. Have you considered a whistle to hang around his neck?
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    The whole subject of medical alarms is one that I had to traverse years ago with my mother, who was about as difficult and belligerent a patient as she could be. It started out with a necklace with a button on it, which she didn't remember to put on more times than not, and finally one day her hip gave way and she lay on the floor for 6 hours until the propane delivery man showed up and found her!! After she got out of the hospital from that, I had the alarm put on a wristband that she could NOT take off, and that proved to be a satisfactory solution. From a failure mode analysis perspective, I can see a problem giving an air-actuated whistle to someone who is dying of lung cancer. Sooner or later, that isn't going to work anymore!

IIRC, they do have clicker/remote systems for turning on and off plug-in house lights, and if you could purchase one of those and then plug in a radio with the volume turned all the way up, that might serve as an ad hoc alarm system.

Best regards, DMW
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for knee surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts CD34 with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo regimen TSHTF!! 3+7 doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows CD34 cells 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Oncologist estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective

Newbie New User
    Thank you Didee and Dead Man Walking for your suggestions. They are much appreciated.

I have finally found one alarm that only call one of the three phone numbers of your choices. Which seem ok for us.

Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyv View Post
    Hi all,

My dad had just been diagnosed with lung cancer.

I'm looking for an alarm he could wear on his wrist or neck, with a panic push button and fall detection, and that just emits sound alarm. We don't want it to be connected to any support center, since there is always someone with him in the house.

I couldn't find a good reference on the internet, for they are all monthly payed support center connected devices.

I would greatly appreciate that you could give me some recommendations.

Best Regards,

Ashley.
    Last edited by lisa1962; 11-16-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Link not allowed per forum policy

Newbie New User
    Dead Man Walking, as much as I do appreciate your advice, I just hope that you would not assume that my dad is dying.
    We do hope he would go through the treatment and be cured.

Regards,
    Ashley.

Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    My apologies for the erroneous assumption! I certainly hope I'm MORE rather than less wrong! Unfortunately, the whole thing with the alarm brought back many unpleasant memories from my own life, which led me astray. Sorry about that!
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for knee surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts CD34 with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo regimen TSHTF!! 3+7 doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows CD34 cells 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Oncologist estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
    My apologies for the erroneous assumption! I certainly hope I'm MORE rather than less wrong! Unfortunately, the whole thing with the alarm brought back many unpleasant memories from my own life, which led me astray. Sorry about that!
    Thank you for your message. Apologies accepted!

Ashley.