A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Lung cancer

Newbie New User

Lung cancer

Hi everyone i am typically very private with my personal and business life , but when I found out my loving mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer i was very shocked because it happened all of sudden but shoe looks great just some back pain , we are now waiting to find out what sort of mutation it is. I don't know if I should be looking. At options I. Mexico or Germany I am from Canada just need some guidance

Thank you

Senior User
    Hello Allen,

I am very sorry that you find yourself here, and for your mother’s diagnosis. Stage 4 isn’t good news, however it is treatable. With proper treatment, your mother can gain years of life.

Back pain is often the first indicator that something is wrong in there, and sometimes it is the only indicator for some time.

You said; “I don't know if I should be looking. At options I. Mexico or Germany I am from Canada just need some guidance”. What does that mean?

Canada’s medical system has an excellent reputation in cancer treatment, so are you implying that you would rather have your mother go somewhere else? Why?

Please stay with us. There are several members with Stage 4 NSCLC, so we can understand your concern. Let us know what treatment protocol is recommended by your mother’s medical team.

Regards
    zim

Hello AlanWalia,

I am very sorry to hear of your dear mother's diagnosis. Sadly often lung cancer is not found until the late stages as there are little to no symptoms until then.

I am also from Canada and we have excellent drs and treatment centers here so you need not worry. If you are asking about these "miracle cure" places in Mexico you may hear about well they are not scientifically proven and all that happens is your money is taken and your loved one loses precious time getting the treatment that is scientifically proven to at least given them a fighting chance.

Stage 4 does not necessarily mean an automatic death sentence anymore as several of our members have proven. Many live productive good quality lives - some for many years.

What we often recommend is for your mom and her support team (a family/friend that can go with her to her appointment) sit and write down any questions she may have regarding her situation, her options and prognosis. Have your mom ask the questions and the other person write down the answers as the dr speaks. It helps to ensure she doesn't forget any of her questions once she is in with the dr (I know i can easily do that myself) and 2 sets of ears are always better than one.

Does you mom live alone? Are you going to be her primary caregiver? It is important to have supports in place should she need some but also for anyone doing the supporting too. Caregiving is is a hard job too.

We are here to support you and answer any questions the best we can. Please take care and let us know how your mom and you are doing.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto