A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Endometrial Cancer Fear

Newbie New User

Endometrial Cancer Fear

Hello everyone, thank you for letting me join the site.
    In January 2016 I went on bio-identical, cyclical hrt via a private consultant gynaecologist, Estradot patches 75mcg and Utrogestan 100mg x 7 days at the beginning of very calendar month. In June 2017 I had a biopsy and ultra sound, as I wasn't having much of a period. The ultra sound showed a thickened endometrium of 11.3mm and the biopsy a benign polyp and simple, benign hyperplasia. In October 2017 I had an annual ultra sound, which monitors a gall bladder polyp that I have. This also showed a 21.3 thick endometrium. My General Practitioner said she had to refer me to an NHS gynaecologist/oncologist for an opinion on this, even though the June biopsy showed nothing to worry about. The NHS consultant did a hysteroscopy and biopsy. The consultants secretary informed me today after much probing, that I had very, very low grade cancer (which I am guessing is endometrial) and that I have to see the consultant this Wednesday. As you can imagine, I am in shock and very scared. I would be grateful for your thoughts on how worried I need to be about this and any similar personal experiences please. I also can't work out, how come it was ok in June?

Hi Jackie,
    Sorry about your diagnosis but it sounds like they caught this extremely quickly so that is a good thing. You stated you have low grade cancer? If you are not sure of the exact stage, make sure you get the exact stage from the doc. From there we can help give you more input. Still it sounds very early which is really good news. I know it is scary but take deep breaths and one step at a time.
    Make sure you write down all your questions for the doctor Wednesday. It is so easy to forget them once you are in with the doc. Also if possible take another person with you for support and 2 sets of ears are always better than one. It is easy to miss something - especially if you are stressed.
    Members here are very supportive this area is not always busy so please be sure to check back often for responses ok?
    Best of luck Wednesday.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Thank you so much Jorola for your encouraging words and excellent advice. I will post more when I have more information following Wednesdays appointment. Kindest wishes, Jackie75.

Newbie New User
    Hello again, Well I saw the gynae/oncologist today and she confirmed Grade 1 endometrial cancer. The next step is to have an MRI for staging and then a total hysterectomy. The doctor said that as my vagina has atrophied with age, that a safer option might be to have abdominal surgery, rather than keyhole. Her rationale, is that with keyhole, the womb etc after being cut free is pulled through the vagina and if it is too small, that potentially cancer cells might affect surrounding tissues. Does anyone have any experience of the different types of surgery please? I asked the doctor how worried I should be about the diagnosis, but she said not to worry, as it has been caught very early. I am grateful to hear about your experiences please.

Experienced User
    My surgeon normally performs DaVinci robotic surgery, so that is what I had. Follow-up included the recommended brachytherapy, which I gather is basically done to clean up any cancerous cells that might linger afterward.

Since you are concerned about your surgical options, a second opinion could be in order. You want to know if her recommendation is standard for a patient like you.
    Intermediate Risk Endometriod Cancer: Stage 1a Grade 2 some lymphvascular space invasion, DaVinci surgery December 2014, Brachytherapy February 2015

Newbie New User
    Hi Surprisedbylife, Thanks for replying. Are you in the UK? My consultant said that if it is Grade 1a, then it is just the hysterectomy, but if Grade 1b, that radiotherapy would probably be given. A second opinion is a good idea, but I think I would worry even more, if I had to wait for a second opinion.

Experienced User
    I am in the US, and had my surgery and follow-up radiation at the Mayo Clinic. Standard protocols can vary a bit from one medical team/country to another. I have the impression that countries with National Health programs are a bit more standardized than in the US. I may be wrong about that.

Final staging is determined after the hysterectomy when pathology of the tissue removed has been completed. In my case, age and some lymphvascular space invasion put me right on the line for recommending brachytherapy. In the end, I decided to go with it because if anything later on went wrong, at least I would be able to say I'd done everything I could. Had I been a couple of years younger or no lymphvascular space invasion or Grade 1 instead of Grade 2, then I wouldn't have landed right on that line! If you like doing the technical reading, I found the nomograms in the paper "Nomograms for Prediction of Outcome With or Without Adjuvant Radiation Therapy for Patients With Endometrial Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of PORTEC-1 and PORTEC-2 Trials" published in 2015 by Carien L. Creutzberg, et. al. in International Journal Radiation Oncology to be very helpful.

Wishing you all the best as you deal with this!
    Intermediate Risk Endometriod Cancer: Stage 1a Grade 2 some lymphvascular space invasion, DaVinci surgery December 2014, Brachytherapy February 2015

Newbie New User
    Thanks so much for replying surprisedbylife. I have a date for the hysterectomy for the 19th December, which also happens to by my 60th birthday. However, a see this as a positive sign, as it's onwards and upwards to 90+ years old. Thanks so much for your support and that of others who have been in touch.