A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Another one of my kids has cancer...

Another one of my kids has cancer...

I am completely and utterly shocked by this news. The fact that itís so similar to Alissaís case is even scarier.

My 14 year old boy Ian dislocated his knee at a soccer game and that was when we found out. He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma and leukemia. The same EXACT 2 cancers Alissa has. He is extremely scared and so am I. Heís a very sweet boy and even missed WEEKS of school and his extremely important soccer game that could have gotten him on the travel team to be with his sister when I couldnít be there. Weíve been in the hospital all day today and possibly will be for thanksgiving. His leukemia is thankfully not as bad as Alissaís but his Osteosarcoma is so bad that he may need to have an emergency amputation. Iím just utterly shocked. Itís so similar to Alissaís and he even said the same thing. Do you have any idea what I could do for him? Heís been so scared and so upset and is in some pretty big amounts of pain

I replied to your other thread--I must say, this is a very unusual situation. Cancer is not contagious, but to have two siblings diagnosed with similar cancers deserves some serious medical attention. It seems that some kind of genetic, or possibly a common environmental condition has impacted them both.

Did the orthopedic doctor that treated your son's leg recommend an oncologist? Who diagnosed his osteosaecoma, and how did they do It? It seems very unusual to have these results so quickly.

On a related note, what are you doing about your daughter? Have you located a pediatric cancer center yet? Is she being treated?
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED

Quote Originally Posted by IndyLou View Post
    I replied to your other thread--I must say, this is a very unusual situation. Cancer is not contagious, but to have two siblings diagnosed with similar cancers deserves some serious medical attention. It seems that some kind of genetic, or possibly a common environmental condition has impacted them both.

Did the orthopedic doctor that treated your son's leg recommend an oncologist? Who diagnosed his osteosaecoma, and how did they do It? It seems very unusual to have these results so quickly.

On a related note, what are you doing about your daughter? Have you located a pediatric cancer center yet? Is she being treated?
    Cancer does run in our family Iím not sure what type though. They were at their grandparents house for a year while I was going through a custody battle and they ended up figuring out once they left that their house had Asbestos. Do you think asbestos would cause leukemia? Iím not very educated on that type of stuff so Iím not really sure if that would be the case. Alissa was also diagnosed in June too so Iím not sure what could have happened in the time period in between. When he was at the hospital the orthopedic doctor did recommend that I take him to an oncologist because I told him how even in Early October before his injury his leg was swelling and he had some pain and I did take him to a doctor about that but they said it was nothing. I ended up taking him and thatís how we found out about both.

Again, this is a very unusual situation. I don't think a one-time exposure to asbestos would cause their cancer, not unless they played with it and inhaled it on a regular basis.

But, I'm not a doctor. Your children need treatment from an actual oncologist in a qualified cancer center. You can bring up your children's medical histories with those doctors, and let them decide what caused the cancer.

The most important thing you can do for your children is have them treated by qualified oncologists. Am I clear on This? I'm afraid I can only offer my encouragement until you take that next step.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED