A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Cin III diagnosis after negative pap

Cin III diagnosis after negative pap

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with CIN III after receiving a negative pap result just 2 months prior. I have always been diligent about seeing my gynecologist yearly. I had slight dysplasia during my pregnancy with my son 11 years ago, but it cleared up on it's own and I've had negative paps since. I was completely shocked, as was my doctor. After a failed LEEP, I went through a cold knife cone biopsy and was told I had clean margins. I have lived in absolute fear the past two years due to my distrust of paps now. I guess I received a false negative? Has anyone ever experienced this? Now I'm having some bleeding again and terrified of the prospects. I'll be seeing the DR tomorrow but I just can't trust those paps anymore. I was told I didn't have cancer but was 1 step away. I know it's typically slowing growing but could I have an aggressive strain? My Dr is puzzled.

Hello BrightOctober,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

You are correct in understanding the CIN 3 is sometimes even referred to as stage 0. From cancer.gov :
    Severely abnormal cells are found on the surface of the cervix. CIN 3 is usually caused by certain types of human papillomavirus (HPV) and is found when a cervical biopsy is done. If not treated, these abnormal cells may become cancer and spread to nearby normal tissue. Treatment for CIN 3 may include cryotherapy, laser therapy, loop electrosurgical procedure (LEEP), or cone biopsy to remove or destroy the abnormal tissue. CIN 3 is sometimes called high-grade or severe dysplasia. Also called cervical squamous intraepithelial neoplasia 3 and stage 0 cervical carcinoma in situ.

However I think you are doing the right thing seeing your doctor and getting to the bottom of things once and for all. Is your dr a gyno? Oncologist gyno? If not I would ask to be referred to an oncologist gyno as they are better trained for your type of situation.

I hope you get some answers soon. Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow. Best of luck!
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Senior User
    You're doing the best thing possible, which is being proactive and seeing your doctor. Good luck at your appointment tomorrow and let us know how it goes.